Worst Cruise Packing Mistakes

Brittany C

For the most part our packing mistakes are those of over-packing . However ...

we generally crosspack , placing some clothes in the others suitcase in case one bag gets lost . In packing for a Mediterranean cruise I packed a pair of shorts in my wife's bag . The problem was I forgot to pack any in my bag . I ended up wearing swim shorts as backups . I did buy a pair of shorts in a Greek public market which promptly "popped" the riveted waist button . I ended up washing the "good" shorts in the sink .

The lasting problem is that ever since I can't ever mention DW's over-packing without the famous unpacked shorts issue coming up . :o

Not packing condoms... Sometimes what happens on a cruise, becomes a nagging dependent.[emoji79]
Wow ! :eek: (I have more comments but I'll keep them in my head) Edited by richstowe

First cruise we packed a few bottles of sunscreen in the checked bag that sat out on the port of Miami for a few hours the first week of September. Opened the bag the cans had exploded, at least our clothes weren't gonna get sun burnt.

Note: wrap in twelve plastic bags next time.

Not me and not quite a packing mistake, but one time we had a family cruise vacation with extended family.

My wife's sister forgot her luggage. Her story was that she thought her boyfriend took the bag out to the cab they were taking to the airport.

Being that I really don't care for her that much, it was quite comical her moping around with nothing to wear but stuff she borrowed from her sisters.

I had everything packed, super early like always but my hubby is a pack the day before type of guy. So I left one of the suitcases open in our bedroom for him to throw some more of his things into. He completely disregarded it, packed his stuff in other bags and then proceeded to leave that one suitcase (with pretty much all my casual clothes, my camera, chargers, etc) in our room. We drove 5 hrs away to go on the cruise before we realized it. I then ran into Walmart in Sept. trying to find shorts and short sleeve shirts for our Caribbean vacation.

Not packing condoms... Sometimes what happens on a cruise, becomes a nagging dependent.[emoji79]

But its your lovely souvenir(s) you made together, hopefully behind close doors or without prying eyes.....:p

My story was in a cruise critic article about stupid packing mistakes. I was on my sixth cruise and hurried to pack for 14 night Caribbean cruise. First morning onboard I went to put a pair of sandals on and discovered I brought a lot of them but only one sandal of each pair. Since it was cold ( Boston) on embarkation I only had leather boots with me. We spent our 1st port stop in Payless shoes in st Thomas. I am a nut about packing lists and checking it 10 times before leaving the house but got too busy. Never again.

On my family's first cruise (7 night Caribbean), the 4 of us had a total of 13 full size luggage pieces, one of which had nothing but shoes. Before the cruise, the hotel shuttle had enough room, but when we disembarked, we had to hire a super stretch limo because it wouldn't all fit into two taxis. We still tease my mom about it.

First cruise we packed a few bottles of sunscreen in the checked bag that sat out on the port of Miami for a few hours the first week of September. Opened the bag the cans had exploded, at least our clothes weren't gonna get sun burnt.

Note: wrap in twelve plastic bags next time.

Happened to me with shampoo , as much as I cleaned the suitcase there was still residue from it. Two separate incidents I've been pulled aside by airport security having to test my luggage for bomb residue. Needless to say I never use that bag for airport travel now. I always double ziplock all my toiletries from now on[emoji5]️

we booked a cruise to the bahamas in October leaving from NY.

because we didnt want to worry about the hassle of parking at the terminal we opted to be adventurous and take the Megabus...

when we left it was a balmy 72 degrees in New York, so left our jackets in the car thinking who needs these, and proceeded to board the bus, and head for the cruise port.

The entire cruise the weather was warm, wonderful, and never a degree below 68. However when we arrived home a week later (reaching port earlier than anticipated), it was snowing... full on winter wonderland, which left us sitting outside at the bus stop wearing the heaviest item of clothing- being "I <3 NY sweatshirts" we bought from the only shop that was open. Unfortunately for DH, the only XL they had at the time was bright pink...emblazoned with a glittering statue of liberty.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for the overwhelming response to this thread! Thank you for sharing all the mistakes, tips and suggestions -- it helped a lot and is much appreciated. The story is finished, and I will be sure to send around a link when it's up on the site.

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Forgetting to bring your checked luggage:eek::eek::eek:

On our last cruise to Bermuda my wife and I drove our car to the lot, parked and had made our way down stairs to checkin. I was giving the porters our two checked bags when a woman about 20ft away from me screamed bloody murder. She was checking in her small carry on with her husband when they realized they forgot BOTH of their checked cases. The expressions were priceless, I had to bite my lip from laughing. They were in hysterics, and had drove down from Boston. How do you forget two bags :eek: LOL

I forgot my prescription medication at home and didn't realize it until the first sea day. To my pleasant surprise i saw a huge sign greeting us in Mexico that read "PURSKRIPTION DRUGS SOLD HEAR" bingo...problem solved...no co-pay!!! the only problem was some of the pills were broken. i dont really remember much of the cruise after that point but my legs and heart never felt stronger..

I forgot my prescription medication at home and didn't realize it until the first sea day. To my pleasant surprise i saw a huge sign greeting us in Mexico that read "PURSKRIPTION DRUGS SOLD HEAR" bingo...problem solved...no co-pay!!! the only problem was some of the pills were broken. i dont really remember much of the cruise after that point but my legs and heart never felt stronger..

This actually made me laugh out loud. :D

I told my daughter who was likely 12 at the time she had too much stuff packed and needed to re pack and leave some things behind for our 7 day cruise. I should have checked what she packed because she ended up only packing one pair of underwear! So each night day she had to wash them!