What if you really hate your dining mates?

LindaJ+

Our TA signed us up for a table for 8 ... so we'll be meeting 6 strangers the first night. Last cruise we did the anytime thing, so had different dining mates every night ... like the woman who cleared her throat loudly every 10 seconds throughout the meal and the two little old ladies from the Deep South who had some choice comments about race. But the rest were pleasant companions.

So if we get a couple losers, I guess we're stuck? Or go eat in the Lido, I suppose.

Personally I like the tables for 6 better, as it is easier to keep the conversation going. Plus the 6s seem to be better located near the windows. We have met some great people this way (last time we were paired with a couple from CC!).

However, one time we were seated with a family (4 adults) and the conversation was difficult the first night. I guess we were the problem, as the second night the other 4 moved! After that we had some very nice people join us and one night even had an officer sit in (nice touch, especially since she bought the wine for the evening!).

Edited by DaveOKC

If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll get negative results! Everyone is there for a good time...so far, we've NEVER had tablemates we couldn't get along with! True...some are more fun than others, but none have been terrible....it's really YOUR attitude that sets the tone! It's an hour or so a night...we actually look forward to dinner with our tablemates!

Once you introduce yourselves, you're no longer "strangers"!

Edited by cb at sea

We have done everything from a table for two, 4, 6 & 8.

We usually have interesting companions at the dinner table.

Wait for the first night and give it some time. You might find you meet a lot of interesting people and if you do not like it, you can switch on night one or two.

No worries and do not let what could happen worry you. The odds of having that many people you do not care for are pretty slim, at least IMO.

If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll get negative results! Everyone is there for a good time...so far, we've NEVER had tablemates we couldn't get along with! True...some are more fun than others, but none have been terrible....it's really YOUR attitude that sets the tone! It's an hour or so a night...we actually look forward to dinner with our tablemates!

Yes! We always ask for a large table. It can be difficult to hear everyone at a table for 8, but 6 is good. We've liked some tablemates more than others, but never had to ask to be reassigned. On our last cruise, we were with two other couples, all married a long time. The woman who was married 60 years said, "After 60 years, we're grateful for new conversation at dinner!"

I think most people who request a large table are people who enjoy meeting others and know how to talk to people who were strangers a few minutes ago.

Yes! We always ask for a large table. It can be difficult to hear everyone at a table for 8, but 6 is good. We've liked some tablemates more than others, but never had to ask to be reassigned. On our last cruise, we were with two other couples, all married a long time. The woman who was married 60 years said, "After 60 years, we're grateful for new conversation at dinner!"

I think most people who request a large table are people who enjoy meeting others and know how to talk to people who were strangers a few minutes ago.

Agree with all of this. We used to request table for 4, and got along ok with all of them. But now find a table for 6 or 8 is more fun. The conversation flows as everyone reports their experiences of the day and plans for the next day. I did not like open seating so much, even at large tables, as I got tired of the intros each and every night. Always ask for fixed seating, large table now.

You really roll the dice with a large table. Typically on HAL we'll request (and get) a table for 2. Didn't get it on X or Princess. On X, the 6 other people at the table were, for the most part, loud and obnoxious. We asked the Maitre 'd to move us and he did (we ate as 2 at a 6-top, though). On Princess, we were at a table with three ladies - an older woman with her daughter and 30-something granddaughter. They were fun, but even so the conversation got rather redundant on a 10-day cruise. Also had a female steward and asst. for that table - boy was I out numbered!

If the first night doesn't work out, simply ask the Maitre 'd on the way out to move you. Or, if you'd rather not even wait, ask your TA to change your assignment.

No sense ruining a cruise over something fairly easily controlled.

The only time I have not liked our dinner companions, the one couple (especially the wife) was loud, demanding, and plain mean to the waiter and terrified the assistant. First night she called the DR manager to complain about service and complain about the food. This "lady" found a friend and insisted that they be moved to our table on night 2 -- she needed someone to gang up with her. Night 2 she demanded a key lime pie (not on menu) to be served night 3. I went to the DR manager privately and told him what was happening -- that the "lady" was acting inappropriately and using inappropriate language and making life uncomfortable for the others at the table. He said he was aware. I have no idea what happened but I did not see the two couples again. We generally ate by ourselves at table for 8 right next to the captain's table. We got really excellent service, flowers one night, and special treats. The waiters were so glad that someone took their part. I did miss having others for dinner conversation (I've been married 48 years so I know his stories!:p)

(Later learned that our waiter was just coming back from a vacation period and would the next cruise be Asst. DR manager so yes he did know his business!) I never understood why people choose to be trouble but some surely do. Makes dining with them not much fun.

For myself, since I like longer cruises, I wish there was a way about half way through the cruise to change tablemates. By 8 or 9 days in-- we have heard the better stories and viewpoints and there is still 10 days to go! Unless you plan to be with certain people, usually 3 days is enough! From my own experiences, I just don't find that anytime dining works for me. It's like picking a grocery line -- whatever time I choose so does everyone else.

On our last cruise, we were in fixed dining at a table for 6. The first night, one of our table mates announced that she only had a few months to live. While empathetic, we couldn't face this situation for nine more nights worrying we might say the wrong thing. We switched to open dining.

Prefer fixed seating and a table for 6 or 8 as like to hear about other's day and plans, even on really long cruises. Have met some wonderful people, some okay people but in many, many cruises have only had 2 cruises with 'bad' tablemates: 1 was a very vocal vegan and would loudly announce how we were all poisoning our bodies - she even had it in for chocolate (4 of us moved to another table) and 1 was just totally dominating and obnoxious whose wife apologized for him to the tablemates and the wait staff when he left without her.

Both times asked and received a new table assignment and ended up with great tablemates.

Only once in many cruises. No issue, we simply switched tables. Not a big deal. Some tablemates had a challenge keeping their religious and political beliefs to themselves. The vast majority of our tablemates-assigned and at open seating, have been very interesting, friendly people.

Now we request open seating/anytime dining. Could not get it on our last Princess cruise in Australia. We had wonderful table mates. One couple met us when our second cruise docked in Adalaide and spent the day touring us about.

On our last cruise (European itinerary), we were seated at a table for 6 (our preference) with a couple from Australia and a couple from Spain. All 4 were lovely people, but the couple from Spain spoke little-to-no English. However, my husband is fluent in Spanish, so he took it upon himself to chat for 90 minutes each evening with this couple during dinner while I chatted (much more easily) with the Australian couple.

The Spainards told my husband that they had tried to be seated with other Spainards on the ship but were told that there were only 12 other Spainards on board and they were all seated with their families. Fortunately for us all, my husband was there to chat (and translate when the rest of us wanted to chat) with the Spainards. It would have been so awkward to be seated at a table for 6 where we could not even communicate with 2 of them!

On our last cruise, we were in fixed dining at a table for 6. The first night, one of our table mates announced that she only had a few months to live. While empathetic, we couldn't face this situation for nine more nights worrying we might say the wrong thing. We switched to open dining.

Wow! I do not blame you for switching. While I feel extremely bad for that lady, it is out of place to mention that to others that you just met (IMO).

IMO you are being very judgmental! :( Just because you have not had terrible tablemates, doesn't mean others have not..

We too have been fortunate & never had terrible tablemates, but If we had those people who were demanding & nasty to the waiters, were racists, wanted to only discuss politics & religion, or were overly critical of what others at the table were eating as tablemates, we too would ask to be re-assigned to a different table..

On our last cruise I requested a table for two only because my DH has Memory problems & I didn't want to subject others to the same questions he would ask every night.. However, we met some lovely people on HAL tours who were also members of Cruise Critic who asked us to join them when they had room at their table even knowing that my DH had a problem.. I will always be grateful to them & have kept in touch with several of them..

On our next cruise we will be with six Good Friends at a large table for the first week..For the second week, four of us will be with new people.. My best Friend & I will try to place DH between us, so that he is comfortable & others at our table will also be comfortable.. It may not work out but hope that our new tablemates will not ask to be re-assigned.. It's a chance we are taking.. I'm not sure how much longer we will be able to cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

The only time we had tablemates we did not like was when we met people on our roll call and planned several private tours with them. They suggested that we share a table and get together for a dinner precruise. At that dinner I was dismayed to discover that we were traveling with a group of "ugly Americans" not only for tours but dinners also. There was no way to gracefully get away (since we had several tours planned) but never again will we pre-plan dinners with strangers. This way we could ask to change tables without hurt feelings.

On our last cruise (European itinerary), we were seated at a table for 6 (our preference) with a couple from Australia and a couple from Spain. All 4 were lovely people, but the couple from Spain spoke little-to-no English. However, my husband is fluent in Spanish, so he took it upon himself to chat for 90 minutes each evening with this couple during dinner while I chatted (much more easily) with the Australian couple.

The Spainards told my husband that they had tried to be seated with other Spainards on the ship but were told that there were only 12 other Spainards on board and they were all seated with their families. Fortunately for us all, my husband was there to chat (and translate when the rest of us wanted to chat) with the Spainards. It would have been so awkward to be seated at a table for 6 where we could not even communicate with 2 of them!

What a lovely story, I'm sure the couple from Spain enjoyed having someone who spoke their language at the table. :)

I bolded your last sentence because it happened to us. We were a party of 4, seated at a table for 8 with a family from eastern Europe. We tried conversing with them, I even tried French (because I heard them speaking French to our waiter) but all we got were glares and silence. :( I don't know what language they were speaking among themselves, but it wasn't French or English. It was very awkward. They obviously did not want company at the table.