Makeup on Washcloths

auntjoy036

Several years ago I took a land-based beach vacation that made a lasting impression. There was a note in the rented condo's bathroom that said if we got any makeup stains on the washcloths or towels, we would be charged a fee. I was so afraid a stubborn spot of mascara wouldn't come out I didn't use a washcloth on my face all week. Ever since I've traveled with my own washcloths or packs of face wipes because I am so self-conscious about leaving makeup stains on a hotel/condo/cruise ship's linens.

Now that I fly and cruise instead of drive to the beach, packing space is at a premium. A pack of face wipes takes up valuable real estate in my 311 bag. Must they go in there? Are they considered a liquid?

What do the rest of you do about getting makeup on your host's linens? Not worry about it? Rinse it out as best you can?

I do not wear heavy makeup, usually mineral powder or cc cream, mascara, and lipstick that has worn off by bedtime.

Thanks.

Vicki

On ship's and hotels, I don't worry about it....most will wash right out. If you're in a owner-owned condo...different story, if they don't have a laundry service!

Take your makeup OFF before you shower...there are many product that get the bulk of it off, so you don't have to worry!

We own a rental condo, but have laundry service....no worries about makeup on anything!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Make-up wipes do not need to go in your 3-1-1 bag. They are not a liquid, nor a gel. Toss them into your carry-on and you'll be fine.

I don't like using the wipes, so I bring along a pkg of baby washcloths from the dollar store. I use a cream remover and after a few day's use, I take out a new one. I rinse the washcloths out, let them dry and bring them home to use for cleaning/dusting cloths.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I have a refillable plastic travel bottle from Walmart that has the inset "flip" top that you press to open the other side of the top where the hole is. It holds 3 oz, and I keep it filled with Dermalogica Precleanse oil. I've never found anything that takes make-up off so gently and thoroughly. Emulsifies with a little water, and then rinses off with plain warm water.

After this I can use a cleanser and washcloth.

I have a friend who had been trying for decades to find an eye make-up remover that didn't irritate her eyes. The D-Precleanse does it for her.

I get mine on ebay in the biggest size I can find. It lasts about a year. The shelf life of this product is probably infinity.

new here. Whats a 3-1-1 bag?

When we fly, TSA says we must use:

3 ounces (it's really 3.4 oz as stated above) size or smaller of liquids and gels, in a 1 quart Ziploc bag and we can only have 1 such bag each.

3 - 1 - 1

Edited by sail7seas

[please note I was not trying to be obnoxious or pedantic when I posted about the rule being 3.4oz/100ml of liquid per container. Many travel-size toiletries are specifically this size, so I didn't want anyone new to flying to be freaked out when shopping that "all the travel size containers are too big"! I was trying to be helpful:o]

I guess 3-1-1 is easy to remember, but is 100-1-1 really that hard?:cool:

Also - back on topic - I travel some for business and when I do it tends to be China or East Africa. So I make sure to pack the toiletries I want because there's absolutely no guarantee I'll be able to find what I need, much less brands I prefer, at a grocery store down the road :-) I bring as many kinds of wipes as I think I might need that trip. I usually put them in ziploc bags - some of the adhesive pack openings are better than others. I also bring as many solid versions of products as I can (well, not everything - there are certain solids I just don't like, eg shampoo or toothpaste). That way my liquids quart bag usually has room for a mini or two of liquor for a nightcap during the trip!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thank you all for your replies. I will bring wipes to remove my eye makeup since they don't have to go in my 3 (.4)-1-1 bag. Even if the cruise line can get black mascara smears off their washcloths, I'd rather not cause them the trouble. My 311 bag was a tight fit last time. Without the wipes in there, it'l be roomy.

Mom and I will coordinate better next trip too. We're used to going on land trips and sharing a condo with two bathrooms, so we both packed toiletries. On a one cabin, one bath cruise that makes no sense. We ended up with two of many potions and lotions in that little bathroom. Live and learn.

Vicki

Last time we stayed at a B&B they provided a black washcloth which they asked you to use to for makeup removal, which I thought was smart.

As others have said no need for the wipes to be in your 311 bag. I like to carry the Yes to Cucumber wipes in my carry -on. I like to use the as a refresher after being on a flight, or even after an excursion

On ship's and hotels, I don't worry about it....most will wash right out. If you're in a owner-owned condo...different story, if they don't have a laundry service!

Ummm, more and more hotels are providing makeup remover wipes so maybe it IS something to at least consider. The hotel I was in last month had them and the hotel I'm currently in has them and I'm sure the hotel I'll be in all week will have them.

If you're concerned about getting makeup stains on the line's linens, I'd recommend getting a Makeup Eraser washcloth. I love mine, and take mine with me wherever I travel. It's a washcloth that takes makeup off - even waterproof mascara - and all you have to do to clean it is wash in the washing machine or in the sink with some soap. I got mine at Sephora.

Any idea about whether or not I can pack dry shampoo in my carry on? Its not a liquid so I would assume yes?

If it's a powder, no problem. If it's aerosol, questions might come up. (certainly in some non-US countries, but potentially at some airports here as well)

I carry Got2B powderful - not an aerosol, just a powder in a shaker, no problems whatsoever - it stays in my dopp kitt always....