So what is it you REALLY like about Norwegian?

Shippy

I think you misinterpreted much of what I was trying to say...

Never thought about the string quartets although I enjoyed them :O)

Was thinking of things like ALL non alcoholic things being included like coke & fresh squeezed juice.

A nice shopping bag with the cruiseline name on it. Champagne to greet EVERYONE.

Boarding passes delivered in the mail, sometimes in leather cases. Beach towels left in all rooms. Pictures were $2.95. ALL money taken in for a bingo game was returned in the jackpots, etc..

I was not really complaining just pointing out how things were changing...as on all ships & looking to find out the new things people enjoyed.

Do not understand your comment about mini suites. They are not 'true ' suites on any cruiseline but the others still do provide robes as Norwegian used to do.

As for the pictures of the furniture....again you did not read my post. We had experience Norwegian several times before so I do know what I am talking about.

Holland is a great cruiseline...as I am sure Norwegian is IN ITS OWN WAY ! All cruiselines have unique experiences.

Just looking for a NEW prospective from recent Norwegian cruisers.

I am not sure how long it has been since you have cruised, but as far as I know all lines are now having us print our own luggage tags, etc. Maybe not those in suites but the rest of us. I don't know of a line that offers cokes free, lemonade yes, but NCl has punch at lunch. I think maybe even lemonade, I am not sure. That is something new. No line offers free fresh squeezed juice anymore I don't think. It sounds to me like you haven't cruised in many years. Beach towels are in every cabin, just like robes in balc and above.

Yes cruising has changed. It is a family vacation now, for middle income cruisers and not just for the upper middle class and above. It is casual, which many people really enjoy and there are dining choices that never existed when many of us started cruising 30 or more years ago.

You mention the chamagne, we have been on one line that offers it and NCL did for a short period of time many years ago. Did you ever look around and see how much was wasted? I could care less about a 3 oz glass of $3.00 bubbly. Most feel that way.

You mention, HAL, is it a wonderful line with so many positives, It is also more expensive and much more subdued. For those who prefer the quiet life, go for it, for those who like fun, a casual atmosphere and a wonderful crew NCL fits the bill. We have cruised every mass marketed line and all more than once.

I hope you have a good experience, come back with a wonderful feeling about NCL but I am almost afraid you are looking for yesterday and are going to find tomorrow instead.

BTW: you said you called NCl and were told no robes: remember, when you call a hotel or cruise line you are talking to an agent, who, quite often has never even been on a ship or the hotel; whatever. They are trained to book reservations. I know, I retired from a major and somewhat upscale hotel chain call center. I know what the agents often tell people; this isn't all of them by anymeans, but they often dont' really even know what you are talking about when you ask them a question. I don't know how many agents I trained and how many would let everything go in one ear and out the other. This is often the case with Travel Agents as well. Though I think there is nothing as valuable as a good agent. I will drop the subject now, but be assured you will have a robe in your closet when you board.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I am not sure how long it has been since you have cruised, but as far as I know all lines are now having us print our own luggage tags, etc. Maybe not those in suites but the rest of us. I don't know of a line that offers cokes free, lemonade yes, but NCl has punch at lunch. I think maybe even lemonade, I am not sure. That is something new. No line offers free fresh squeezed juice anymore I don't think. It sounds to me like you haven't cruised in many years. Beach towels are in every cabin, just like robes in balc and above.

Yes cruising has changed. It is a family vacation now, for middle income cruisers and not just for the upper middle class and above. It is casual, which many people really enjoy and there are dining choices that never existed when many of us started cruising 30 or more years ago.

You mention the chamagne, we have been on one line that offers it and NCL did for a short period of time many years ago. Did you ever look around and see how much was wasted? I could care less about a 3 oz glass of $3.00 bubbly. Most feel that way.

You mention, HAL, is it a wonderful line with so many positives, It is also more expensive and much more subdued. For those who prefer the quiet life, go for it, for those who like fun, a casual atmosphere and a wonderful crew NCL fits the bill. We have cruised every mass marketed line and all more than once.

I hope you have a good experience, come back with a wonderful feeling about NCL but I am almost afraid you are looking for yesterday and are going to find tomorrow instead.

BTW: you said you called NCl and were told no robes: remember, when you call a hotel or cruise line you are talking to an agent, who, quite often has never even been on a ship or the hotel; whatever. They are trained to book reservations. I know, I retired from a major and somewhat upscale hotel chain call center. I know what the agents often tell people; this isn't all of them by anymeans, but they often dont' really even know what you are talking about when you ask them a question. I don't know how many agents I trained and how many would let everything go in one ear and out the other. This is often the case with Travel Agents as well. Though I think there is nothing as valuable as a good agent. I will drop the subject now, but be assured you will have a robe in your closet when you board.

It has been over a decade since being on Norwegian so those were the things I was reflecting on.

I know we will have a great cruise. Norwegian does have the prettiest ships :O)

I loved reading about the things people like.

Being a foody I read some of the other post about the restaurants.

It will be different but ALL cruiselines are different.

anyone know how to get the wine onboard ??? My husband wants to bring some. Normally we just put them in our luggage as most cruiselines we go on allow this.

Do we hand it to them when we check in ?? Do they charge you the $15 right then ??

thanks

However you try to get bottles of wine on to the ship they will find it. :mad:

They x-ray all heavy luggage and will keep any luggage they see bottles in and get you to pick up the luggage later. You would pay the $15 each then or they will hold the unopened bottles till the last night. (Don't try to take on open bottles; they destroy!!) If you try to carry on in your hand luggage they will find when they x-ray your carry on and you will have to pay there and then. :(

Once paid the wine is yours to drink whenever and wherever you want. :) No getting round the $15 though. However; if you find the wines available online more than $15 cheaper ashore it is worthwhile paying the $15!! Try to find the wine lists from on-board.

Mike

We carry our wine in my carryon bag and there has not been an issue. I move them from our regular luggage where they are packed in a wine diaper to the carryon. I learned eons ago which wines trigger a migraine and I bring a little stash of those I can enjoy. That said we did enjoy a bottle from NCL wine which I had one glass. It was a free bottle in Cagneys. If I remember right it was the formal night...but then my senior brain may not be correct.;)

However you try to get bottles of wine on to the ship they will find it. :mad:

They x-ray all heavy luggage and will keep any luggage they see bottles in and get you to pick up the luggage later. You would pay the $15 each then or they will hold the unopened bottles till the last night. (Don't try to take on open bottles; they destroy!!) If you try to carry on in your hand luggage they will find when they x-ray your carry on and you will have to pay there and then. :(

Once paid the wine is yours to drink whenever and wherever you want. :) No getting round the $15 though. However; if you find the wines available online more than $15 cheaper ashore it is worthwhile paying the $15!! Try to find the wine lists from on-board.

Mike

The poster obviously meant what is the procedure for bringing the wine on above board? Not how do I sneak it on.

I've sailed on the Epic and the Breakaway, and I have to say I was impressed by the buffet. In terms of both freshness, variety, and flavor, it's been very good. I loved the fresh bread, variety of cheeses, the customized soup bar, and the hard ice cream. There was a really nice variety of different dishes to fit all tastes, meats, ethnic dishes, etc. Especially coming from Carnival, where almost everything on the buffet at lunch is some type of casserole or similar dish. I also really like the fresh squeezed juice bar (fee item) that was available in the mornings.

I also love the spa on the Epic and Breakaway. The one on the Epic had a great open balcony with padded lounge chairs, but I have to say that the Breakaway spa was absolutely amazing! Love those heated tile loungers with the perfect view of the water!

The variety of specialty restaurants is really nice, too, especially if you have a dining package. I adored Cagney's and Moderno, and I really appreciated being able to choose something new every night instead of just sticking with what I knew would be good to avoid wasting money on something that I might not like. I love the sushi bar and the noodle bar, too. You can't beat a sushi roll (I don't eat fish/seafood, so I get the veggie roll), edamame, and miso soup for cheap, or some potstickers and a HUGE bowl of noodles for just a few bucks!

Edited by ldlewis45

It has been over a decade since being on Norwegian so those were the things I was reflecting on.

I know we will have a great cruise. Norwegian does have the prettiest ships :O)

I loved reading about the things people like.

Being a foody I read some of the other post about the restaurants.

It will be different but ALL cruiselines are different.

anyone know how to get the wine onboard ??? My husband wants to bring some. Normally we just put them in our luggage as most cruiselines we go on allow this.

Do we hand it to them when we check in ?? Do they charge you the $15 right then ??

thanks

Best to carry it on: I know, it is heavy, but if you put it in the luggage: you will be called to the naughty room, have to open the luggage, show them, pay for it then etc. Not worth the hassle. If you carry it on, you pay the $15 right then and they put a sticker on it for you. Before the drink package, we did this for years. The past few years we have just ordered when we arrived. I am not sure how to order ahead of time, I am sure someone else can help you. What you do not want to do is order by the bottle on line, it is so overpriced it is a sin almost.

Have a good cruise; I will add one little thing, if you are a foodie, I will be very honest, you may be disappointed in the MDR food. Like all lines, the quality isn't what it was 10 or so years ago.

Someone already mentioned that NCL greets you with cold water and face cloths, when you return from an excursion on hot days. That feels so good.

Also, one of the MDRs is open for lunch on embarkation day. This eliminates the need to drag your carry-ons to the buffet, hunt for a vacant seat, and carry your own food. The staff in the MDR will seat you and wait on you. A great start for a wonderful cruise.

We've only sailed on Norwegian so I have nothing else to compare it to - but for us, the "suite experience" is what keeps bringing us back.

...and I am NOT putting the Haven down. I have not tried it & hear it is wonderful.

Can't afford it BUT......

youtube the yacht club on the MSC Divina.

That we have done. Indredible. All inclusive and 1/3 the price of the HAVEN !

Seriously....youtube it. You will be surprised.

A YC1 cabin is usually under $2000.pp The Haven ????

A YC1 cabin is usually under $2000.pp The Haven ????

We booked our haven for 900pp. Taxes and Port fees included.

Granted it was pay for 2 and the other 4 were free but still, putting 6 of us in a YC1 on MSC would be closer to 10k. Mostly because it wouldn't fit 6 people and we would need 2 rooms.

I know we are outliers here but one of the reasons we picked NCL was they had a 2 room stateroom that would sleep 6 and it was the same price to book a suite (regular suite worked out to be 697pp taxes and port fees inclusive) than 2 regular balcony rooms.

If you look at all the NCL sailings on Jewel (there may be others but thats just the one I've been following) you'll see that on alot of the sailings the suites and havens are sold out. How often do suites sell out before balconies on other lines? Is this a common thing?

I think the downside to this is there is a certain demographic of people (typically older or both work with no kids) that won't bat an eye at 10k for a suite. For them it's a downer when you have all these 40 something parents with school aged children who are making hard earned money and can now swing a 2 room suite for a few dollars more and they bring all the kiddos with them.

Uh oh...Now we have families invading this posh Haven! (Cue Cannonball into the Jacuzzi)

-Sean

Someone please tell me on which ships and sailings you can get haven for less than $1000 a person.

If I'm reading it right, it was actually approx $2700 pp for the first 2 ppl and there was a promotion of 3rd - 6st guest sail free so they divided the cost between the 6 ppl.

2700 x 2 for the first 2 ppl = 5400. divided between the 6 ppl who stayed in the suite = $900 pp.

wilmingtech, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lois

If I'm reading it right, it was actually approx $2700 pp for the first 2 ppl and there was a promotion of 3rd - 6st guest sail free so they divided the cost between the 6 ppl.

2700 x 2 for the first 2 ppl = 5400. divided between the 6 ppl who stayed in the suite = $900 pp.

wilmingtech, correct me if I'm wrong.

Lois

Lois - Spot on. It was actually listed at 2499.00 pp for the 1st and 2nd guest and then the 3rd-8th guest were free. We still had to pay port fees and taxes for the 3-6th guests. So it ended up being ~5400.00 for all of us. We were first quoted a suite which priced out at 4200.00 but we figured we would splurge for the Haven. Don't know if we will ever get this kind of chance again.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Let me introduce you to Disney....just clarifying for the record. Disney has:

Printed luggage tags, printed booklets by the cruise, robes, you can bring two bottles wine on for free, Coke (and other sodas) is free 24/7 on the pool deck, free fresh OJ at breakfast. It's more expensive most of the year but there are deals to be had as with any line.

Each line has its pros and cons. There is something out there for everybody. They all have their bright spots and less stellar aspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lois - Spot on. It was actually listed at 2499.00 pp for the 1st and 2nd guest and then the 3rd-8th guest were free. We still had to pay port fees and taxes for the 3-6th guests. So it ended up being ~5400.00 for all of us. We were first quoted a suite which priced out at 4200.00 but we figured we would splurge for the Haven. Don't know if we will ever get this kind of chance again.

-Sean

That was a great deal! But it is atypical (you did mention this). In general, you would need to book at least 9 plus months in advance and catch a deal with 3-6 sail free (for the most recent deals 2-4 sail free and 5-6 are @$399 pp plus port fees). Plus, it's probably not on the -away ships and during non-peak sail times (sept-early dec and then Jan).

I have a toddler so I'm usually flexible to pursue off peak dates.

We've sailed more on NCL than any other line so far so we must like it!

We like to find good value with cruises - the Epic was a new ship & something different. Loved the different food choices & the spa.

Sailed on the Jade as managed to get a 10 night cruise in a mini suite for a bargain price! The itinerary was also great.

Sailed on the Escape as it was the inaugural out of Hamburg, entirely new ship & loved the food choices, the shows & the spa!

We love the freestyle aspect & that's what brings us back to NCL!

Let me introduce you to Disney....just clarifying for the record. Disney has:

Printed luggage tags, printed booklets by the cruise, robes, you can bring two bottles wine on for free, Coke (and other sodas) is free 24/7 on the pool deck, free fresh OJ at breakfast. It's more expensive most of the year but there are deals to be had as with any line.

Each line has its pros and cons. There is something out there for everybody. They all have their bright spots and less stellar aspects.

ok, lt me say this, if I didn't already; I am talking mainstream or mass maketed lines which Disney isn' considered one of them; they are also 2 to 3 times more expensive. So yes, you are right and yet, that isn't the type of line the OP or anyone here is referrin to. This does not mean there isn't a line for everyone; heck that is my favorite phrase. My point was in referring to the OPs comment about things in the past compared to now.

My first cruise on Norwegian was a shocker! Prior to sailing on the Pearl, I sailed on Princess and Celebrity where guests were expected to dress for dinner, and there was traditional dinner seating. The general atmosphere on both cruise lines was tastefully relaxed; meaning, there was a sense of decorum. People dressed well and didn't go to the breakfast buffet wrapped in the bed's comforter and wearing their PJs (I saw this on the Jewel during my Spring Break cruise this past March).

When my family and I booked our first Norwegian cruise we liked the idea of "freestyle cruising" but really had no idea how "free" it was (Not monetarily, however. Norwegian is ridiculous with the way it charges for everything). We were surprised by how "free" people were -- men in baseball caps and shorts, and women in flip-flops, tank tops and shorts in the main dining room and at some of the specialty restaurants. We were overdressed because we were, truth be told, dressed.

Nevertheless, there is something to be said for there being a cruise line which provides the option of not having to dress up, and to basically be the way we are everyday. Nothing special, just come as you are. So Norwegian is relaxed in every way. You can drink anywhere, wear anything you want anywhere (including your PJs at the buffet), let your kids run "free," and spend money on what is typically included in the cruise fare of higher class ships.

And I'm OK with this because now I know what to expect. If you are a cruise traditionalist and like luxury and the behavior that is expected to come with it, then Norwegian is going to be a tough adjustment. But if you want to hang out and relax without having to do anything beyond what you normally do, then Norwegian will be a good fit.

As far as I'm concerned, I got over myself and had a wonderful cruise on both the Pearl and the Jewel, and am looking forward to the next one on the Jade in a few months. Bon voyage!

I think this is an excellent post to keep in mind when the comparisons start coming in about cruise line X being better than cruise line Y. The fact is you can't compare lines straight up. The above post perfectly describes NCL and what to expect. Is that worse than what a typical Holland America cruise is like? It depends on the individual passenger.

As they always say one man's treasure is another's garbage. Keep that in mind and choose your cruise line accordingly. There's a reason there are different auto makers and its the same for cruise lines.

ok, lt me say this, if I didn't already; I am talking mainstream or mass maketed lines which Disney isn' considered one of them; they are also 2 to 3 times more expensive. So yes, you are right and yet, that isn't the type of line the OP or anyone here is referrin to. This does not mean there isn't a line for everyone; heck that is my favorite phrase. My point was in referring to the OPs comment about things in the past compared to now.

Disney is absolutely NOT 2-3 times more expensive. $500-$1k more per cabin, maybe depending on the time of year but my cruise on Disney for 7 days last year was LESS expensive than my NCL cruise this year. We cruised In Early Sept when most kids are back in school ( I have a toddler) and booked early which is a must to get the best rates on Disney.

I don't know why Disney isn't considered mainstream. The itineraries are similar and they are not as pricey as regent, oceania, or other luxury lines. If that were the case, they would not be able to attract families. The cruise is around the price point of a moderate disney hotel for the inside and OV and a higher hotel for the balconies.

My point was that the amenities that OP likes are not a thing of the past for ALL cruise lines. One just has to shop around.

Edited by missintuitive