Rain on RC cruise experiences

iiramos

No changes just a very congested ship. My brother, and his wife take their Scrabble game. DH, and I pack rain wear, and use a ship umbrella if there is one. If it isn't too bad we get out there, and enjoy what is available.

On one cruise while in St. Kitts a local showed me how to turn the umbrella right side out! ;)

Been on several cruises with bad weather. Once, on a 5 day, it rained for two days before the cruise, the whole cruise and two days after! Nothing added on. On another cruise the weather was so bad trying to walk the deck with an umbrella broke the umbrella. We just bring a deck of cards and a travel game.

Have you ever gone on a cruise with RC where it rained most of the time? What was your experience? Did they add extra shows or activities, etc.?

Nearly every time there has been rain on a sea day the Cruise Director has added additional activities to those already on the Cruise Compass schedule. Not uncommon to have that happen.

Edited by Scotty G

When we sailed on Enchantment last year, we missed Coco Cay due to bad weather and we had a sea day instead. It rained all day long. As soon as the Captain made the announcement that we were skipping Coco Cay, new Compasses were distributed to the cabins with "day at sea" activities instead of "port day" activities. They were obviously prepared for this change of plans because the transition to a day with more activities onboard was seamless.

About exactly this time of year, but years ago, a late hurricane hit during our western Carib cruise. The captain kept the ship out of the worst weather, but it rained every day. As a result we didnt spend sea days at the pool and did things we usually wouldn't have. I still fondly recall the cruise as one of my favorites.

No changes just a very congested ship. My brother, and his wife take their Scrabble game. DH, and I pack rain wear, and use a ship umbrella if there is one. If it isn't too bad we get out there, and enjoy what is available.

On one cruise while in St. Kitts a local showed me how to turn the umbrella right side out! ;)

We always take our own Scrabble too now... After our Asia cruise on Mariner we were shocked at how disrespected the onboard Scrabble board games were treated :eek::D

Seems like the Navigator had kids (PG) movies in one of the theaters. We played cards in the library, walked the Promanade, and people watched. Very few got off the boat on the day of the worst rain because it was a tendered port. There was a lot of movement, but none of my family got seasick. It finally quit thundering & lightning around noon, so many caught a tender and went ashore for a couple of hours. Even with the rain...it was a wonderful cruise!

Edited by CCC3

We have experienced a rain day here and there. Spent time in the hot tub, schooner bar, back on the balcony for a nap and repeat.

I will take a day of rain on a cruise ship over ANY day stuck at the office. :D

Have you ever gone on a cruise with RC where it rained most of the time? What was your experience? Did they add extra shows or activities, etc.?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

just for rain, no. only if a port is canceled will they scramble to add extra activities.

on those ships that have a covered solarium, they MIGHT open it up to all ages for a few hours a couple of times a day when the weather sucks.

It will be a bummer for us because we love the pool.

There's the pool in the Solarium. :)

The solarium on some ships is not covered or enclosed. And, there are still a few ships that do not have a solarium.

We seem to be able occupy ourselves in bad weather

M

Couple of years ago... October to Bermuda on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ - we had 2 sea days down to Bermuda and it was cold and rainy, there was plenty to do onboard as they were sea-days anyway. We did go to the card room and play cards with another couple we were traveling with. Even had another couple that found us in there and asked if they could join. We played a 'team' card game with 6 of us and we all had a great time. Although it is nice sometimes to have someone entertain you, if there isn't anything to do because of weather or whatever reason, sometimes you just have to make your own fun.

Yes, we had rain a day or two on a couple of our cruises, but it has never spoiled our experiences. We fondly look back at our first Alaska cruise when it poured heavy rain at Ketchikan. Thanks to Cruise Critic information, we were prepared with rain gear since I had read about the port being located in a "rain forest."

We went on an excursion and had an unexpected fright when a mother bear and her two cubs ran across the path in front of our group and climbed up in a tree! My wife was the only one with the presence of mind to quickly capture several pictures of the mother bear in the tree.

If you're interested, you can see the pictures she took for her website at the link below

Alaska cruise

We had almost decided not to go on the excursion but at the last minute went anyway. We would have missed that opportunity. After our group got back to town, we walked around and window shopped for a couple of hours. We had a great time even though it was pouring.

Also, on each ship, there is usually something going on to pass the time. You will not get bored on a cruise.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Go swimming anyway. 1) you're already wet, and 2) that chop makes for quite an amusing situation when the waves get big enough!

Your highlighted statement above reminds me of when we were on Liberty a few years ago. There was Pool Aerobics scheduled for 9am. The sea was a little choppy, not terrible on this 'at sea' day....as we all got in the pool and started the class, it drizzled a little -- not much. The staff leader told us that as long as no thunder or lightning we would continue (we were wet anyway). Then the drizzle stopped but the water got choppier, and the waves in the pool were absolute fun. Even if we wanted to get out of the pool, we probably couldn't...and the class went on and we all found ourselves laughing and laughing. Just at the end of the class, the choppiness subsided so we could get out of the pool. I always chuckle when I think of 'pool aerobics' now.