It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I confused by the wording as well. I don't eat in the MDR so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I hope this doesn't give folks the carte blanche to make what was an otherwise classy experience feel more like to a trip to the grocery store....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm new to cruising, taking my first one in January on Celebrity so this is an interesting change but one I'm guessing I won't notice at all as I don't know any different. It sounds like you can still dress up as formally as you'd like and not really impact your personal experience while others still have to dress smartly but perhaps not to the tux level if they choose not to?

Hi

Just got the email from Celebrity

But yes the link to website says there are still formal nights. -- when will they get it together?

Makes me very happy. My version of formalwear is Florida-formal which is not-so-much. Bought a few great dresses but no bling and no tux for husband.

I've been in Main Dining room formal night in the past all dressed up and not that comfortable (especially DH) with other baseball cap & shorts pax -- past non-enforcement of standards and baggage limitations just makes the new policy easier.

[emoji156][emoji150]

Happy sailing to everyone

New motto..."Celebrity, the line that used to be special, now is just ordinary"

I think Celebrity has always been similar to many mass market cruise lines. For the upscale, "special" cruise lines, you pay two or three times what X charges

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

I agree Jane!:(

Lots of people already dressed in their own version of "formal" with long-sleeved shirts and slacks.

Now I feel Allan will actually look out of place in his tux.

In the announcement it says shorts, tshirts and ripped jeans won't be acceptable on Evening Chic nights so I guess they'll be fine every other night.

So, well said. Totally agree!

Another in agreement.

How are you Nancy? Glad to see you are still cruising. We are trying again in 2017 to do the South American route we had to cancel in 2014. We have added the 2nd leg to Miami instead of Machu Picchu. Hope we make it this time with hubby doing much better. :D

Wish we were still meeting up in BA,

Two years ago we were on RCI Liberty OF THE Seas during Thanksgiving week. People came into the MDR in the evenings in short shorts with holes and bathing suit apparel. We switched our Family Thanksgiving cruise to Celebrity where people know how to dress appropriately. With this new relaxed dress code for formal night (which is fine with me) I am really hoping not to see anyone admitted to the various restaurants on other evenings in cut off short shorts, tanks tops and flip flops.

We have been on RCCL a dozen times and your statement is incorrect. Love how some exaggerate to make a point. You will find X the same type of dress as RCCL.

The way I see it is that they are just changing the official policy to match how people are already dressing. I know some will not like it but you don't have to dress "chic". Myself I will probably do with a blazer instead of suit and maybe also a tie depending on how I feel. This is just a reflection of today's society. During my working life I wore a suit and tie everyday for some 40 yrs plus and the last 6-8 it evolved to khakis and a golf shirt. Always did hate that tie choking me.:)

We love formal nights.

So next month's cruise unfortunately, will definately be the last with celebrity:mad:

You, and your love of dress codes (strictly enforced), along with others tired of the relentless dumbing down in the guise of 'improvements', will find a warm welcome on Cunard ;)

Once tried, there will be no going back to any perceived holiday camp at sea.

I do think their press release is not worded as well as it could be. As noted previously it says that ripped jeans and t-shirts aren't allowed on "evening chic" nights...which would lead one to assume that they are okay on other nights. Though I suspect they are not! Also, it says there will be 2 "evening chic" nights on cruises of 7 nights or more...does this mean that longer cruises where there were previously 3 formal nights, there will now only be 2 "evening chic" nights?

I'm just fine with losing formal nights...I have no desire to drag along evening wear especially when I have a suitcase size/weight limit on the flights I take to/from the cruise.

I would like to see the press release clarified though.

I received it this morning, but the body of my email says nothing other than:

Evening Chic

Formal night gets a modern luxury reboot

Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic.

It's your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Evening Chic evolutions include:

   • Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captain's Reception

   • Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new

   officer-hosted tables

   • Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update—check!)

Get Evening Chic on sailings departing December 4 and beyond.

Then it has a Learn More button. When I click on it, it goes to a FAQ page with questions all about a cruise, before, during and after. :rolleyes: When I click on information about Formal night, it list the number of formals nights per days of cruise. Nothing about what wear is expected or accepted on these nights. LOL :rolleyes:

And if you read into the above "Glamming it up with a spa makeover", it sounds like they want you to look more formal. Why go spend hundreds on a new hair-do, make-up, and nails when you are going to show up in jeans!

Now, we have nothing against this new policy. DH and I have started dressing semi formal on our cruises for the last few years (he usually just wears a sport coat and I dress slightly dressier than him with flowing black pants and glittery tops.) But on our last cruise from Southampton (just returned), DH did take his tux. Even so, we looked semi-formal to most onboard. :eek: Those from the U.K. REALLY dress for formal, and also for casual nights. This all over the ship (we were in Luminae, Blu and Specialty.) We always dressed nicely, but I felt inferior to some of the women in long dresses and gowns on most nights.

Edited by Iamthesea

Now I feel Allan will actually look out of place in his tux.

HAL made the same change a few months ago, moving from "formal" to "gala" nights. So far, our personal experience and the reporting of others indicates that there has been little actual change so far, and the number of men in tuxes and suits remains at about the same level. Whether this will hold true for Celebrity remains to be seen. Mind you, HAL simply made the change with no major announcement, so other than CC members, few people were aware of the changes. Based on some of the posts we're seeing here, Celebrity chose to email the changes to passengers booked in December, so that might lead to a faster paced change.

I also just received this email. If you click on the link that says learn more, it still list the number of formal nights by length of the cruise.

Per the email:

Evening Chic evolutions include

Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captains Reception

Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new officer hosted tables

Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update check!)

Evening Chic sailing departing December 4 and beyond.

So, what does this mean??? DW just bought a new dress for formal night on our upcoming Dec 6 sailing.

Take the dress back and get something useful.:D

Just confirms little difference between cruise lines these days so we will continue with our decision 2 years ago to cruise based on itinerary and the biggest balcony we can find at a good price.

Our last Celebrity cruise was the Connie December 2014 and we had a large group of Celebrity Florida office employees and Celebrity Corp sales people cruising for classes and reward. They were the worst behaved group we have experienced. Pushing rudely to the front of the coffee line ("I have to get to my meeting") and crowding out the paying guests at the Martini Bar so we had to flag down a server on the other side of the room to get a drink.

I'm not surprised at the changes they are making since they have not enforced what they did have in place including asking their corporate employees to focus on the customer experience instead of themselves.

I received it this morning, but the body of my email says nothing other than:

Evening Chic

Formal night gets a modern luxury reboot

Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic.

It's your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

Evening Chic evolutions include:

   • Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captain's Reception

   • Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new

   officer-hosted tables

   • Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update—check!)

Get Evening Chic on sailings departing December 4 and beyond.

Then it has a Learn More button. When I click on it, it goes to a FAQ page with questions all about a cruise, before, during and after. :rolleyes: When I click on information about Formal night, it list the number of formals nights per days of cruise. Nothing about what wear is expected or accepted on these nights. LOL :rolleyes:

And if you read into the above "Glamming it up with a spa makeover", it sounds like they want you to look more formal. Why go spend hundreds on a new hair-do, make-up, and nails when you are going to show up in jeans!

Now, we have nothing against this new policy. DH and I have started dressing semi formal on our cruises for the last few years (he usually just wears a sport coat and I dress slightly dressier than him with flowing black pants and glittery tops.) But on our last cruise from Southampton (just returned), DH did take his tux. Even so, we looked semi-formal to most onboard. :eek: Those from the U.K. REALLY dress for formal, and also for casual nights. This all over the ship (we were in Luminae, Blu and Specialty.) We always dressed nicely, but I felt inferior to some of the women in long dresses and gowns on most nights.

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

•A cocktail dress

•Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

•Optional sport coat or blazer

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

Not sure of the logic here. If you don't think they will enforce it, what difference does it make what policy they are not enforcing?

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

•A cocktail dress

•Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

•Optional sport coat or blazer

I thought that was Smart Casual. The formal nights were a nice choice and option.

....Jeans? Seriously? Dress pants should be at least indicated.

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic.

You call it mediocrity; I call it choices. Most of my family will still dress up for formal night because they like to.

As for "classless", I don't see how a preference for a more relaxed vacation and dining experience translates to classless.