It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I'm going to reserve judgement until I experience the cocktail hour and evening dining on our February cruise. That said, if elegant venues on any evening are populated with baseball caps, cutoff shorts, tank tops, workout attire etc. it will affect my planning going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That means that maybe my designer yoga pants won't cut it as "Chic" even if I pair it with nice heels and dressy top?

JK, People need to calm down about this! How others dress doesn't impact my cruise but the new rule will have a positive impact in how I pack!

Hooray. Happy dance.

I always thought that formal night with its penguin suit standard for men was an anachronistic hold over from a by-gone era when first class and steerage passengers were were socially and physically segregated. Dress codes served to reinforce that. Most of our cruises are to very warm weather climes where I personally dislike wearing formal attire, or even a suit due the heat. Also on most of our jaunts we pack only carry-on bags to preclude the potential for last luggage by the airlines. And, formal attire/suits simply take up too much space in a carry-on. Like it or not (I like it) I think Celebrity is finally adjusting to the times. We have become a much more dress down culture. It appears that they will still enforce some standards of acceptable dress - no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, or other grunge dress style. Importantly, nothing in Celebrity's new policy prevents those who still want to dress to the nines from doing so.

I think Celebrity have blundered here. I do formal, I do smart casual, but I'm not sure I'll ever be evening chic. Perhaps it's all to do with "modern luxury" which is equally nebulous. They are just trying to confuse us all and are having difficulty with their identity as far as I can see. It's another great opportunity for the boundaries to be pushed.

Phil

I agree. I'm not surprised at this, it fits in with all the other changes that have been made to the product. Celebrity has been determined to become just like all the others and they have succeeded.

The way I see it is that they are just changing the official policy to match how people are already dressing. I know some will not like it but you don't have to dress "chic". )

Yes, the policy is more in line with reality.

I don't understand what all of the hoopla is about.

Formal nights are never enforced. There are always passengers who wear whatever they darn well please, no matter which ship or itinerary you're on.

Those who let the dress habits of others impact the enjoyment of their cruise need to find bigger things to obsess over.

As pointed out by others, some of the most higly regarded lines do not have formal nights.

No one is advised to stop wearing their "formal attire" and if you are worried what others think if you decide to dress up, well, that's your problem.

I am sad they are stopping formal nights, I like to dress up and make an effort and I love to see the men in their tux they look so smart. Dressing up is one of the reasons we cruise, it makes it rather special In my opinion. Very sad for us

I am sad they are stopping formal nights, I like to dress up and make an effort and I love to see the men in their tux they look so smart. Dressing up is one of the reasons we cruise, it makes it rather special In my opinion. Very sad for us

Does this sound like you can't continue doing it?

A quote from X's e-mail:

It's your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated.

My husband and I have always enjoyed Celebrity's formal nights, and even loved the old days where they also had “Informal Nights” which required a jacket.

I do wonder why people cite the luggage restrictions as the reason they don’t want to dress formally. Clothes are clothes – you have to wear something, and unless you plan on wearing the same outfit every night, you still have to bring something to wear. My jeans weigh more than my formal dresses. Of course, if you’re doing a pre or post-cruise land vacation, the formal wear probably won’t be as versatile. I don’t know – maybe we’re doing it wrong, but we have never had any issues with our luggage weighing too much, even on a two week cruise with 3 formal nights, followed by a land vacation. One suitcase and one carry-on a piece is always enough for us. Of course, we do have laundry done on-board when necessary.

I really do think that, although the wording of it is awkward, Celebrity is trying to still have a somewhat “dressy” night, but if people choose not to dress formally, they don’t have to. They want everyone to be happy, and understandably, are trying to appeal to younger people who they hope will be their customers for many years to come. It’s quite apparent to me, at least at work, that many younger people (the men anyways) have no desire to dress up for anything, ever. Even their weddings are casual.

I think everyone should just follow at least the minimum suggested dress code dress, wear what makes them happy, and try not to worry about what anyone else is wearing. If my husband and I want to wear the tux and gown, we’ll do it anyways and enjoy ourselves.

You can still dress up. The twenty men who have still been wearing tuxes can continue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally confused by much of this reaction.

Love to strut your formals? What is stopping you from continuing?

Don't mind dragging heavy clothing across the world for 2 or 3 brief nights? More power to you.

Imagine yourself in the times of Downton Abbey? Feel free to do so.

Simply cannot understand how what I wear on my vacation has ANY bearing on yours.

Always felt that there was a sense of "if I need to wear this type of clothing, I think EVERYONE should have to..."

Farewell to forcing everyone to adhere to a single standard.

Edited by ECCruise

Hooray. Happy dance.

I always thought that formal night with its penguin suit standard for men was an anachronistic hold over from a by-gone era when first class and steerage passengers were were socially and physically segregated. Dress codes served to reinforce that. Most of our cruises are to very warm weather climes where I personally dislike wearing formal attire, or even a suit due the heat. Also on most of our jaunts we pack only carry-on bags to preclude the potential for last luggage by the airlines. And, formal attire/suits simply take up too much space in a carry-on. Like it or not (I like it) I think Celebrity is finally adjusting to the times. We have become a much more dress down culture. It appears that they will still enforce some standards of acceptable dress - no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, or other grunge dress style. Importantly, nothing in Celebrity's new policy prevents those who still want to dress to the nines from doing so.

Celebrity's standard never was "Penguin Suit" only. Those who have gotten their wish can be assured that they will receive a cruise to match. No reason to be anything special to people who don't care. It is what it is and for those who don't know any better, it won't matter.

I think that getting rid of sparkling wine at the Captain's Reception and instead drinks (still free) will depend on your cruise destination. Sailing in the Caribbean, you might be treated to mojitos. Journeying through the Mediterranean? Bellinis might be passed around. (Sparkling wine will always be available for those who just can't go without, Abel said.) Is a good idea as is tables hosted by several officers ranking three stripes and above, such as the hotel director or guest relations manager, and tables will be at multiple dining venues on the ship.

DH is ecstatic! As a conductor, he wore more than his share of tuxes. On his vacations, he prefers no suit or tux. We always honor the dress code, but we may not be as chic as the young couples pictured.

IMPO- adjust. "X" provides great experiences and options. Very few cruisers will remember what others wear. They may compliment others, but not criticize. Enjoy yourself. Cruise on...

DH is ecstatic! As a conductor, he wore more than his share of tuxes. On his vacations, he prefers no suit or tux. We always honor the dress code, but we may not be as chic as the young couples pictured.

IMPO- adjust. "X" provides great experiences and options. Very few cruisers will remember what others wear. They may compliment others, but not criticize. Enjoy yourself. Cruise on...

My DH is realllly happy too

As a musician, he has worn tux too many times

[emoji449][emoji443][emoji441]

I am very happy with the announcement. When it's all said and done, does it really matter what other people are wearing? My concern when I pack is that my clothes fit properly, they are clean and hopefully still in style. I will admit style is a personal opinion so I don't really get too caught up with that. I have been on many cruises and I don't pay attention to the formal nights and how people are dressed..., it has no impact on my cruise.

People can still dress formerly, if that is what they want to do.

I applaud Celebrity for giving or suggesting more options.

I like to think of "evening chic" as how you would dress to go to an elegant evening wedding. X should never have included the word "designers black jeans" in their statement. IMHO, they are opening the door to jeans in the MDR. The couple in the photo from X, look beautiful in their chic attire.

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

Well, meaning no disrespect for Carnival cruisers, I think that X is, and always has been, a more upscale demographic. Perhaps a more apples-to-apples comparison would be the premium lines (e.g.: Azamara & Oceana) who have always implemented a "smart casual" dress code. And, I do think that we will still see quite a few ties, coats, and nice dresses on X. I will miss the tuxes, though -- my DH looks so handsome in one! :cool:

We love formal nights.

So next month's cruise unfortunately, will definately be the last with celebrity:mad:

Because they're changing the dress code to catch up with modern trends?

You can still dress up as much as you want.

Seems like this is just saying "dress very nice, per your own definition" rather than having to stick to fashion that is outdated for many. Works for me.

Totally confused by much of this reaction.

Love to strut your formals? What is stopping you from continuing?

Don't mind dragging heavy clothing across the world for 2 or 3 brief nights? More power to you.

Imagine yourself in the times of Downton Abbey? Feel free to do so.

Simply cannot understand how what I wear on my vacation has ANY bearing on yours.

Always felt that there was a sense of "if I need to wear this type of clothing, I think EVERYONE should have to..."

Farewell to forcing everyone to adhere to a single standard.

Hear, hear!

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

Agreed.

And all this did was help me save some money on the upcoming cruise. I was planning on renting a tux, but why bother now?

The thing is, how they describe "chic" is pretty much how I dress for any other night in the MDR.... I always wear a dress shirt, usually long sleeved, and slacks. So every night is the sane for me now.

Very disappointing to hear the new dress code but more disappointed it came from Celebrity. Expected this to come from Carnival or even RC. On NYE cruise and we still plan on bringing our long dresses. What a concept -- long dresses and jeans.

Agree, very disappointed.

RCCL actually has a sticter dress code than Celebrity.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

I don't care. We just made Elite on the last cruise and I'm going to wear my monocle with my flirty sundress & sport coat ensemble.

Agreed. I plan to wear my flirty monocle and sporty sundress.

Agreed.

And all this did was help me save some money on the upcoming cruise. I was planning on renting a tux, but why bother now?

The thing is, how they describe "chic" is pretty much how I dress for any other night in the MDR.... I always wear a dress shirt, usually long sleeved, and slacks. So every night is the sane for me now.

You can still rent the tux ... every night doesn't have to be the same. Rejoice and embrace the options.

Edited by CanadianDee