It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

Agree 100%. Sad.

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

•A cocktail dress

•Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

•Optional sport coat or blazer

So now even suits are not even "suggested". (Tuxes , as I said, will look ridiculous) And sport coats are optional. :(

Wow - how special. :rolleyes:

We all know that the tendency is to dress just a little less dressy than the suggestions.

This is great news for Us! I am happy Celebrity has finally made it official how a large group of people dress for formal nights. Jackets take up a lot of space and now I won't have to make some sort of magic to keep luggage under the airline restrictions. For those that want to do ball gowns and tuxedos, you can still do it so no sure why some are complaining!

Welcome to modern days Celebrity!

Edited by Sandy1975

The way I see it is that they are just changing the official policy to match how people are already dressing.

Are you sure? I've looked at a fair number of photos in anticipation of our upcoming Celebrity Silhouette cruise, and I could be missing something, but no one looks like they stepped out of InStyle, Vogue, or GQ. Shabby Chic, maybe, but not a whole lot of chic chic. This isn't a complaint about how Celebrity passengers dress. It's very nice. It's just not "chic."

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

•A cocktail dress

From the Official Celebrity poster.

Suits are not even suggested and and sport coats are optional.

How special....... :rolleyes:

•A cocktail dress

Very disappointed with this. While packing will be easier, you have taken away what made the evenings special. While we might not have necessarily worn tuxes and formal dresses, we did enjoy wearing cocktail dresses and suits. While I am sure some will suggest bringing it anyway. It takes the fun out of it when you are the only ones dressed up. Feels more like they are lowing the bar than raising the modern elegance. Even our children enjoy dressing up. If you don't want to dress there are many more casual lines and more relaxed alternative vacations.

Edited by RCKM43

Are you sure? I've looked at a fair number of photos in anticipation of our upcoming Celebrity Silhouette cruise, and I could be missing something, but no one looks like they stepped out of InStyle, Vogue, or GQ. Shabby Chic, maybe, but not a whole lot of chic chic. This isn't a complaint about how Celebrity passengers dress. It's very nice. It's just not "chic."

Question.

Judging by some pax dress sence on Celebrity/RCI, does a definition of evening chic now officially include "charity shops ten years ago"?:eek:

We love formal nights.

So next month's cruise unfortunately, will definately be the last with celebrity:mad:

You can still wear formal clothing.

From the CC Interview:

" is designed to enable passengers to express their own sense of sophistication, Brian Abel, vice president of hotel operations for Celebrity Cruises told Cruise Critic exclusively. Where one couple might feel most glamorous in a tuxedo and gown, another might feel more elegant in a sport jacket and designer black jeans and a flirty sundress."

Edited by wallie5446

New motto..."Celebrity, the line that used to be special, now is just ordinary"

I guess Azamara and Oceania are "ordinary lines too" that costs 3 times more than celebrity since they do not have formal nights. I am glad I do not base cruising decisions on dress code :)

Edited by Sandy1975

HAL made the same change a few months ago, moving from "formal" to "gala" nights. So far, our personal experience and the reporting of others indicates that there has been little actual change so far, and the number of men in tuxes and suits remains at about the same level. Whether this will hold true for Celebrity remains to be seen. Mind you, HAL simply made the change with no major announcement, so other than CC members, few people were aware of the changes. Based on some of the posts we're seeing here, Celebrity chose to email the changes to passengers booked in December, so that might lead to a faster paced change.

Yes, I got an email this morning saying a change had been made that affects my cruise. It was about the change. My sailing is December 13 on Silhouette

I'm not sure why you all are up in arms, dress up if you want, no one is stopping you from going in a tux.

Unless you judgmental people wants to pay for other people luggage fees, I'd suggest you just worry about dressing yourself.

People on here are aware that dressing up is still an option. I'm one of those who prefers having a formal dress code, and I will still dress up. But I was on the Solstice last week and a good majority of the people on that cruise brought the dress code to a new low....and that was with a formal night in place. I think the concern on here is that without the formal night "requirement", those people will really start taking advantage of a more casual environment and we will see some really inappropriate wear.

My other cruise line of choice is Azamara, and while they are Country Club Casual every night, the people who sail on Azamara understand what casual chic should look like.

No one is being judgmental on here. It's just that many of us love being in a sophisticated environment on vacation and hate to see a good line like Celebrity bring it down several notches.

Michael

We were talking to our TA last week, she said a lot of customers were leaving Celebrity to book Cunard, at least the pax who like a chance to dress up in the UK will be able to book Cunard!

In my opinion this would be switching from one extreme to another. We love the Cunard experience, but it is definitely MUCH dressier......Formal nights require a tux for the gents and a gown for the ladies...and they require that one STAYS dressed throughout the night. The "regular" nights still require the men to wear jackets to dinner (with or without a tie) and ladies to be nicely dressed.

I am going on my first sailing with Celebrity in March, but I like that I won't have to pack any formal clothes...my little black dress will be fine for the "Chic" nights!

For me, certain itineraries lend themselves to a more casual flavor....the Caribbean and Alaska being ones I think would.

We have sailed on Oceania for many years and love the Smart Casual evening attire.

In our experiences, we have never seen anyone in the dining room in ripped jeans or Tshirts. Everyone has always dressed very nicely.

I love the change Celebrity is making. Most people go on vacation to relax and unwind. For the men, a long shirt, jacket and tie is not clothing you can relax in. And for Caribbean sailings...just too hot.

Unfortunately the change goes into effect the day after we return from our Caribbean cruise. Do you think the jacket and tie will be enforced in the MDR?

People on here are aware that dressing up is still an option. I'm one of those who prefers having a formal dress code, and I will still dress up. But I was on the Solstice last week and a good majority of the people on that cruise brought the dress code to a new low....and that was with a formal night in place. I think the concern on here is that without the formal night "requirement", those people will really start taking advantage of a more casual environment and we will see some really inappropriate wear.

My other cruise line of choice is Azamara, and while they are Country Club Casual every night, the people who sail on Azamara understand what casual chic should look like.

No one is being judgmental on here. It's just that many of us love being in a sophisticated environment on vacation and hate to see a good line like Celebrity bring it down several notches.

Michael

Very well said !!!

We just got off the Reflection Transatlantic, and while there were three 'Formal' nights, there was absolutely no difference to any other night, other than the photographers were busier than usual. It struck me during the cruise that Formal nights were a thing of the past, and while lines like Cunard will keep them, I welcome Celebrity's decision to ditch Formal nights.

Makes packing a whole lot easier as well

Personally I am happy for it just because of packing. The problem is many people do not know the difference in "chic" and "Yard clothes". I will probably take a sport coat and put a tie in but will not likely not wear the tie...especially in the Caribbean.

Just another step down the slope to mediocrity. They didn't enforce Formal so don't expect then to enforce what I will call Classless Chic. A sundress? So we expect not to see torn jeans? LOL You give people an inch and they will take a mile. I like Carnival although we don't cruise them any longer but I predict that soon the dining room on Celebrity will closely resemble those on Carnival. What a shame.

Agreed. It appears the majority of the viewers of this board welcome the change but I will miss a night of dressing up. Maybe the best 'compromise' would be to actually ENFORCE the dress code they make, no t-shirts in main dining room on 'chic' nights.

Personally I am happy for it just because of packing. The problem is many people do not know the difference in "chic" and "Yard clothes". I will probably take a sport coat and put a tie in but will not likely not wear the tie...especially in the Caribbean.

20+ years we have been sailing on Celebrity and have yet to meet anyone in "YARD clothes" I think you feel to lowly about the rest of us.:(

no t-shirts in main dining room on 'chic' nights.

Unless it's designer :rolleyes:! And X could check the labels :D.

Agreed, Wallie. It's not as though there are 100s of pax walking around on non formal nights in their 'yard' clothes (whatever they may be :D).