Cabin safe

Nanobot

I always use the safe. Wallet, passport, credit cards, foreign money, all go in there first thing as I start to unpack.

I wish my jewelry case fit in there, too, but it doesn't. It does go in the locked nightstand drawer, though. It's reasonably safe in there since it's unlikely that someone will get in the cabin, know where to look, take it, then get out without being seen.

I never leave things out at all, whether valuable or not. Everything gets put away in a drawer, closet, or someplace. I've sailed in rough seas where things went flying, and breaking. I don't need that kind of mess.

I never used a safe in my travels over the last 30+ years around the world in over 40 countries and never had an issue. I usually put valuables in a drawer or out of sight.

I have nothing against using them; just never had a reason to do so.

Fate being what it is, I guess I will have to use one now.

Thank-you for your answers.

Or you could just leave it open. ;)

LOL.... I was thinking the same thing. :)

Most common code people use for passwords and the like.

Now they've told us they'll have to change it to the super secret 4321. :rolleyes::D Mrs K and I picked a totally random four digit number years and years ago that we call "The Number" and have stuck with it. We only use it for travel and other kind one-off occasions where we need a temporary access number.

We always use our safe too.

I'm happy that HAL let's us into our rooms so fast. On Royal Caribbean, we have to haul our stuff around w/ us until 1 PM on a typical embarkation.

I've even been known to put our camera lenses in it if there's room.

Last couple of cruises, we get a large laundry bag or tote bag, and put everything in it. That way in case of emergency, we just open the safe and grab the bag.

I hear the officers can get into safes, but they use a 40 digit code. Not something they really want to do.

Edited by knittinggirl

It's so complicated, because we try to vary our passwords just in case someone learns one, they can't open bank account we own.

I have to stress our travel access code is just that and that only. It is not related to any other PIN for our bank, credit cards, etc. We've never suffered a loss so to the best of our knowledge that number has never been compromised. If it was we'd obviously pick a new agreed upon travel code.

Edited by Randyk47

I hear the officers can get into safes, but they use a 40 digit code. Not something they really want to do.

Morning; not true! Only a very few selected persons onboard can open the cabin safes using what's known as a "safe cracker" which is kept in a secure location

Morning; not true! Only a very few selected persons onboard can open the cabin safes using what's known as a "safe cracker" which is kept in a secure location

Also, when an officer "cracks" your safe, there are always 2 officers present. We had a problem w our safe on one cruise and that is how they handled it.

DON

Also, when an officer "cracks" your safe, there are always 2 officers present. We had a problem w our safe on one cruise and that is how they handled it.

DON

Not in our case. We had it happen twice and one person came each time. Once was the concierge and once was a crew member.

Never seen a locked nightstand drawer before. Do all rooms have them on all ships? Do you lock it w/ a key, or a combination lock?

Usually a key lock, and on the left hand side as you face the bed. (This is technically known as "your side of the bed" according to my lovely wife.)

Never seen a locked nightstand drawer before. Do all rooms have them on all ships? Do you lock it w/ a key, or a combination lock?

I have seen them on most HAL ships. However, the lock does not seem to be very good and I think it is easily picked (I used another key on it once).

I always use the safe.... but a little word of caution. If you are going to need something for a timed event .... like a shore excursion .... take it out of the safe a bit early. On my last cruise the battery in the safe died just before I was due to disembark for a tour and it took them a little while to get to me to open it. Fortunately I still had time but lesson learned ... the money and the ticket come out with time to spare.

Susan

I always use the safe.... but a little word of caution. If you are going to need something for a timed event .... like a shore excursion .... take it out of the safe a bit early. On my last cruise the battery in the safe died just before I was due to disembark for a tour and it took them a little while to get to me to open it. Fortunately I still had time but lesson learned ... the money and the ticket come out with time to spare.

Susan

that's a good tip. I usually get our stuff out the night before if we have tours planned the next morning (especially early). We have certainly met up with the odd dying battery ;)

Susan

That's a very good tip. We also have experienced the dead safe battery. Thankfully we were in no hurry at the time and Security came to replace it.

Susan

Good point! When the safe battery dies, only the ship's locksmith can open that bad boy