Clothing Iron

canuckinindia

Does celebrity provide clothing irons in the rooms? If not do they provide them on request? And is there any restriction to bringing one onboard.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

To answer your questions:

No

No

Yes

Celebrity does not have self service laundries nor do they allow irons or steamers in cabins. Most takes wrinkles out of clothes by hanging them in the bathroom while you take a shower or by bringing a product like Wrinkle Release.

Does celebrity provide clothing irons in the rooms? If not do they provide them on request? And is there any restriction to bringing one onboard.

Celebrity does not provide irons for passengers and irons will be confiscated if you try to bring one aboard (to be returned at the end of your trip). This is for very good safety and fire prevention reasons. These are not Celebrities rules, this is required by law.

If someone decides to bring an iron on board (because the policy doesn't apply to them...and we know there are always a few), please turn the iron on, leave it on a flammable cloth and then sit on your balcony enjoying some wine waiting for smoke. Alternatively, have a few drinks, return to your cabin, press your clothes leaving the iron unattended and then fall asleep. Finally, if you have a rough sea, bring out the iron and turn it on to heat (or turn it off, after use, to cool) as the sea rocks and things fall off flat surfaces.

Any of these will probably give you the logic for not allowing passengers to bring irons on board.

Edited by ghstudio

Celebrity does not provide irons for passengers and irons will be confiscated if you try to bring one aboard (to be returned at the end of your trip). This is for very good safety and fire prevention reasons. These are not Celebrities rules, this is required by law.

But Princess manages to find irons for their laundry rooms that actually shut themselves off if not in use .

Not sure there's any law involved but I do understand not allowing passengers to bring their own because you never know what you'll get.

It's too bad Celebrity doesn't have the shut-off irons that they could let passengers use for quick touch-ups.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

There is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates.

Regular service, picked up before 9AM, is returned next day. For same day service, picked up before 9AM and returned same day, add 50% express service surcharge.

Laundry Services

Item Price

Suit $17.50

Jacket $8.00

Pants $7.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $7.00

Short Sleeved Shirt $6.00

Sweater $8.00

Shorts $5.50

Dress $11.00

Skirt $6.50

Pajamas $5.50

Handkerchief $3.00

T-shirt $3.75

Undergarments $3.00

Swimsuit $4.00

Socks, pair $3.00

Dry-Cleaning

Item Price

Suit $19.00

Jacket $11.00

Pants $8.00

Vest $5.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $7.50

Short Sleeved Shirt $6.50

Sweater $9.00

Shorts $6.50

Dress $16.00

Skirt $7.50

Necktie/Tie $5.00

4 Item Special $28.00

Pressing Only

Item Price

Suit $14.00

Jacket $8.00

Pants $6.00

Vest $3.00

Long Sleeved Shirt $5.75

Short Sleeved Shirt $4.00

Sweater $5.50

Shorts $4.00

Dress $8.00

Skirt $6.00

4 Item Special $25.00

I'm not sure its law, however I do understand both Celebrity and RCI's position on irons. However I can't understand why the same parent company allow a full laundry room with irons on the two Azamara ships?

On our most recent cruise on Eclipse I bought Downy wrinkle release with me and was truly astounded by how good it was at removing wrinkles from clothes.

I bought it before boarding in Miami, and really regret not being able to buy it in the UK.

The irons in the laundry rooms is easy to answer as that is the ONLY place they are allowed and thus can be supervised and that room specially outfitted to prevent fires.

There are a few laundries on ship. Mostly British or smaller ships where it is not feasible to do laundry on board for thousands of passengers. Remember Princess is P&O. Maybe the new Edge will have them.

Completely agree with Wrinkle release from Downy. Also a bit of laundry in the sink combined with hangers and the very dry A/C gets even jeans dry in 2 days. Rolling clothes out in towels gets them quite dry. And steam from the shower takes care of most of the rest.

Celebrity will hold your luggage on boarding if they see an iron or other banned items on xray scan. You will go to deck 2 (I believe ) to retrieve your luggage and they will take iron or what ever ( they grabbed a bottle of vodka) and hold them till cruise is over. There were mountains of luggage , easily 200 or more pieces of luggage being held. Most hotels offer an iron so why bring a 5lb dead weight to lug around on vacation.

Should also point out that a major reason for not allowing irons and steamers is the capacity of the electrical system. Several years ago someone made a post which explained how the electrical system is set up on cruise ships. Anyone reading this at the time would understand why irons couldn't all be turned on when its time to dress for dinner.

I have tried and tried but cannot find that post, not even sure it was on the Celebrity board.

However I can't understand why the same parent company allow a full laundry room with irons on the two Azamara ships?

When a ship has a laundry room (with or without irons) that room has to meet higher fire prevention standards than staterooms (by law). Therefore, irons may be available in a laundry room but not allowed in the stateroom, as is the case with Princess or Azamara. RCCL, Celebrity, and other cruise lines choose to use the real estate dedicated to public laundries on other ships for other purposes. Also candles, electric cup warmers, electric blankets, anything that could ignite are not allowed in staterooms, period. Personal hair driers are technically not permitted aboard because of the fire hazard (forgetting to turn the thing off and leaving it on the bed). If you get caught with a personal hair drier, it may be confiscated.

I don't see how hair straighteners or curling irons are any less safe than irons or steamers. And technically they could all be turned on around the same time when people are getting reading for dinner.

As a woman, though,I suspect if they banned them, they would likely lose half their sailing population.

When a ship has a laundry room (with or without irons) that room has to meet higher fire prevention standards than staterooms (by law). Therefore, irons may be available in a laundry room but not allowed in the stateroom, as is the case with Princess or Azamara. RCCL, Celebrity, and other cruise lines choose to use the real estate dedicated to public laundries on other ships for other purposes. Also candles, electric cup warmers, electric blankets, anything that could ignite are not allowed in staterooms, period. Personal hair driers are technically not permitted aboard because of the fire hazard (forgetting to turn the thing off and leaving it on the bed). If you get caught with a personal hair drier, it may be confiscated.

There is no ban on hair dryers.

There is no ban on hair dryers.

Ma is correct, under prohibited items hair dryers are specifically allowed.

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready#before_you_go_during_cruise/plan-and-book/before-you-go-during-cruise%3Fsubtab=true

Just in case someone questions why steamers are not in that list, they are prohibited in another section of the web site.

Edited by dkjretired

Whether hair dyers are permitted or not is ambiguous on Celebrity's website:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• • Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas
  • • Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*
  • • Illegal drugs and substances
  • • Candles and incense
  • • Coffee makers, clothes irons, and hot plates
  • • Electrical extension cords
  • • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows
  • • Skateboards and surfboards
  • • Martial-arts gear
  • • Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks
  • • Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid
  • • Explosives, including fireworks
  • • Ham radios
  • • Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
  • • Alcoholic beverages**

If you have a question about an item you wish to take on board your cruise, please contact our reservations team.

* Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blades less than four inches are allowed.

** Two bottles of wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

I say technically personal hair dryers are not permitted in staterooms per SOLAS requirements. I say that they may be confiscated, "Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:" So it is up to the Security Officer and/or the Staff Captain whether personal hair dryers are allowed on board or not.

I say technically personal hair dryers are not permitted in staterooms per SOLAS requirements.

What part of SOLAS prohibits hair dryers in staterooms?

If that were the case, Celebrity could not provide them either.