Emotional Support Animal...What a TURKEY...

teecee60

My better half and I were discussing how much we can't wait for first night next cruise, Tuscan Grill (now desperate, has been too long!).....Then I read this.

Now all I can imagine is sitting at my sea view table and on the next table is the turkey and its owner, then I see the owner and one of those oversized plates covered with the big silver domes they have in Murano's.....one way to keep the cost of cruising down....

Thanks for sharing!

Fortunately, emotional support turkeys are not protected by law on cruise ships. However, I have observed the occasional emotionally unsupported turkey at guest services.....

Best comment I have read in weeks!

Had both an emotional support poodle (rode everywhere in a baby carriage) and a rabbit (it mostly stayed in its cabin except for occasional trips out carried in a backpack!). Absolute BS.

Was a special education teacher and according to law any animal including dogs, cats, birds, pot belly pigs, ferrets, and miniature horses can be a service animal. All it takes to be an emotional support animal is a letter of request.

Am thinking of getting a panther as an emotional support animal. Would solve all those problems waiting to board and in fact waiting for anything.

Edited by az_tchr

So this means I can bring my Emotional Support elephant on my up coming cruises?? That is great news...I really need him to help carry my stuff so I don't get upset.

I do understand some of this need but it is so badly abused by so many I can no longer take it seriously.

I am going to get an emotional support lion and an emotional support boa constrictor. The lion will be trained to make me feel good by eating little emotional support animals. The boa will be trained to make me feel good by eating the owners of little emotional support animals.

DON

I worked in a supermarket and a woman used to come into the store with a Parakeet on her shoulders. The rumor around the store was that it alerted her to some type of nerve problem in her neck.

Should be pointed out the cruise lines do follow the ADA and the ADA only recognizes dogs as service animals. Not cats, elephants, horses or parakeets. Perhaps this directive went into effect after AZ Tch left teaching. Also, it is illegal to ask for documentation, a letter of recommendation is not required, as a matter of fact it is specifically illegal. This predates 2011 Justice department directive.

US Justice Department issued the following direction which clearly states that as of March 15, 2011 only dogs can be recognized as service animals.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Edited by dkjretired

My better half and I were discussing how much we can't wait for first night next cruise, Tuscan Grill (now desperate, has been too long!).....Then I read this.

Now all I can imagine is sitting at my sea view table and on the next table is the turkey and its owner, then I see the owner and one of those oversized plates covered with the big silver domes they have in Murano's.....one way to keep the cost of cruising down....

Thanks for sharing!

You could then order Turkey for dinner, they'll have to dig up the stuffing quick.

Should be pointed out the cruise lines do follow the ADA and the ADA only recognizes dogs as service animals. Not cats, elephants, horses or parakeets. Perhaps this directive went into effect after AZ Tch left teaching. Also, it is illegal to ask for documentation, a letter of recommendation is not required, as a matter of fact it is specifically illegal. This predates 2011 Justice department directive.

US Justice Department issued the following direction which clearly states that as of March 15, 2011 only dogs can be recognized as service animals.

Actually I believe miniature horses also have a special designation. Emotional support animals could be just about anything. I still have my nanny blanket.

I am not an attorney specializing in this area, but I believe that one can be asked for documentation stating that the animals is an emotional support animal.

Edited by neverbeenhere

I'm a disabled person, and an original contributor to the law PL 94-142 that eventually became the Americans With Disabilities Act, and I can tell you that the ADA does not cover emotional support animals. True service dogs that are duly trained and certified, but not just any animal, are recognized. Unfortunately, anyone can purchase these certificates online, and scam the system, but emotional support is not recognized and cruise lines and airplanes do not have to accept them at all.

I have an emotional support animal. He's also known as my husband' date=' and he can sometimes act like a turkey. Does this mean he can fly and cruise with me for free?[/quote']

Yes as long as you understand A business is not required to provide care or food for a service animal or provide a special location for it to relieve itself.

Actually I believe miniature horses also have a special designation. Emotional support animals could be just about anything. I still have my nanny blanket.

I am not an attorney specializing in this area, but I believe that one can be asked for documentation stating that the animals is an emotional support animal.

Those with service animals are allowed to be asked two questions, is the animal a service dog and what service does it provide. An affirmative answer to both questions precludes all other questions and it is strictly forbidden to ask for any documentation.

Horses are mentioned in the bulletin i referenced in a previous post and are allowed under certain limited circumstances. Main one is they have to housebroken.

Edited by dkjretired

I worked in a supermarket and a woman used to come into the store with a Parakeet on her shoulders. The rumor around the store was that it alerted her to some type of nerve problem in her neck.

The ADA now recognizes Miniature Horses as Service Animals as well as dogs - there is an explanation at the bottom of the ADA regs that was not included in the one you posted:

Was a special education teacher and according to law any animal including dogs, cats, birds, pot belly pigs, ferrets, and miniature horses can be a service animal. All it takes to be an emotional support animal is a letter of request.

Sorry but this is incorrect - the ADA only recognizes dogs and in some cases miniature horses as Service Animals.

Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals are completely different things...