Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

Yes. Stopped there while on the Oasis in Oct 2010.

I'm booked on a 6 day Allure cruise Jan 2-8th 2017 and Ashe has a scheduled stop in Costa Maya.

Thank you. I know the clearance is pretty narrow on the long pier, so I wasn't sure if the width/draft of Oasis would fit. Now I do. :)

Maybe replace with Cuba? It's not even as far. :D:D:D

U.S. government has already approved licenses to companies that want to run ferry services to Cuba, and Port Miami is considering building a terminal for it. Carnival's Fathom line is either already sending, or gearing up for, social program cruises to Cuba. Vacations aren't far off.

Considering it has been a dangerous island forever, wonder why RCCL ever chose this island in the 1st place. Would have been better off on the other side of the island in the Dominican republic

They got a great deal and the cost are low compared to other spots.

U.S. government has already approved licenses to companies that want to run ferry services to Cuba, and Port Miami is considering building a terminal for it. Carnival's Fathom line is either already sending, or gearing up for, social program cruises to Cuba. Vacations aren't far off.

Cuba is the last Country I want to visit.

Its much further off than you think. As of now anything going into Cuba must be for educational purposes and must be included as part of any stop, at least when coming from the U.S. Getting even 2000 plus people to do only educational things would be a challenge. A lot still needs to change before you have U.S citizens visiting on a regular basis.

RCCL suspended all calls at Labadee for several months in the early-mid 90's due to political unrest in that country. They may need to do the same now, but once things stabilize they will return once it's deemed safe.

You're right. In 1995 our TA told us our cruise canceled Labadee, but a few months later they added Labadee back to the itinerary.

Different strokes. I can't wait to go. Hopefully this year for land vacation. Have had friends go and thoroughly enjoyed.

If you are the type looking for a high tech modern society I will say definitely don't go

I would also advise you to not go if you don't want to fund a regime that treats its citizens so cruelly that they pile 17 people into a raft to get out of there.

...but that's none of my business. :D

I would also advise you to not go if you don't want to fund a regime that treats its citizens so cruelly that they pile 17 people into a raft to get out of there.

...but that's none of my business. :D

That's one way of looking at it. Another is by going I am helping a taxi driver, shop owner, hotel workers etc. by tipping in hard currency and helping to their sustained employment not to mention seeing a beautiful country with architecture as though time stood still and some amazing beaches.

There's a lot of talk about Costa Maya. Has an Oasis Class ship ever docked there? :confused:

I asked Ken Rush back in 2013 if any new ports for the Oasis class and part of his answer was that Allure had went to both Costa Maya and St Kitts.

It was actually February 2004 when RCCL suspended stops.

I remember that. Our first stop there was in 2003 -- not much there, in those days. But, since then, RCCL has made a HUGE investment in Labadee. They built the pier, and added luxury cabanas. They put in a zipline, roller-coaster, and other attractions. For them to leave now, would be like Disney pulling its operations out of Florida! :eek:

Its much further off than you think. As of now anything going into Cuba must be for educational purposes and must be included as part of any stop, at least when coming from the U.S. Getting even 2000 plus people to do only educational things would be a challenge. A lot still needs to change before you have U.S citizens visiting on a regular basis.

Perhaps, but I know a few people who have already been, including a cousin who is there right now.

What a short memory they must have......Royal Caribbean went out of their way to support the island with literally tons of supplies and relief after the earthquake. RCCL Continues to be one of the few corporations to generate a profit for the country and someone on the island thought it would be a good idea to boycott the revenue source....ridiculous......

As a Canadian, I have been to Cuba several times. My mom goes every single year and she loves it there. Part of its charm is the fact that it is untouched by the US, everything is so authentic, and Havana is a beautiful city frozen in time. It is also a very poor country by comparison to the rest of the world, but people are so happy. I only hope that once cruise ships start going there it does not become another fenced off port with Diamonds International and the usual stuff.

Different strokes. I can't wait to go. Hopefully this year for land vacation. Have had friends go and thoroughly enjoyed.

If you are the type looking for a high tech modern society I will say definitely don't go

It's different strokes. I would jump on any cruise that included Cuba. I think it would be fascinating.

Someone just posted this on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page :

I am going on a company Oasis cruise with Beachbody in March. They have just canceled the Haiti stop and we are now going to Nassau Bahamas due the concern about the Zika Virus. I've been to Nassau 3 times, what should I do?! Stay on ship or get off??

It may take longer than anyone thinks before RCCL goes back

Edited by ATC cruiser

Someone just posted this on the Crown and Anchor Facebook page :

I am going on a company Oasis cruise with Beachbody in March. They have just canceled the Haiti stop and we are now going to Nassau Bahamas due the concern about the Zika Virus. I've been to Nassau 3 times, what should I do?! Stay on ship or get off??

It may take longer than anyone thinks before RCCL goes back

Ya know, I saw that too. However, I believe the cruise in reference is a charter, so I'm not sure if it is directly related to what is happening in Labadee with the protests.

We shall see. I'm sailing February and see no indication that they are canceling Labadee stops this far out.

EDIT: I just confirmed that it is indeed a full ship charter on March 12. Also, the FB post references the Zika virus, which is currently in several ports throughout the Caribbean, so I don't think they'll be canceling Labadee just yet.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser