Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

Been to Labadee once and have no desire to go back. I don't see the attraction with the rocky beach. I would vote for RCI to pick another port permanently.

Completely agree with you!!! My husband and I didn't care much for Labadee either.

....and guess what, a lot of folks would be OK with that. Most folks come here for answers and don't need 50 versions of it.

Why don't you try to come up with 5 new topics for discussion that have never been discussed here.

My guess is we will be waiting a long time for five unique questions.

Thank you for those articles. I've read them before with great interest. Notice the dates: 5-6 years ago. Sadly, it sounds like the Haitian Govt is not so excited about meeting Royal's conditions, whatever those may be (likely related to travel logistics).

I've travelled to the Citadelle, and it's amazingly gorgeous. At the bottom of the mountain is Sans-Souci Palance, another very cool site. If only the issues could be worked out. But, from what I've read- I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you for those articles. I've read them before with great interest. Notice the dates: 5-6 years ago. Sadly, it sounds like the Haitian Govt is not so excited about meeting Royal's conditions, whatever those may be (likely related to travel logistics).

I've travelled to the Citadelle, and it's amazingly gorgeous. At the bottom of the mountain is Sans-Souci Palance, another very cool site. If only the issues could be worked out. But, from what I've read- I'm not holding my breath.

YW, I found some newer articles, but when I went back to c/p one I lost it and could not find it. Basically there are 2 main problems, the road and getting passengers up the steep hill. Hati is still in meetings about it and it seems like they want it to happen, but these people move at a snails pace, and I am sure they want $'s . There was a third thing also, security for the passengers.

How's the road between Labadee and the Citadel, specifically routes 1 and 3 through Cap? Is safety for tour busses a concern?

Been to Labadee once and have no desire to go back. I don't see the attraction with the rocky beach. I would vote for RCI to pick another port permanently.

Obviously you did not make it to the other beautiful sandy beaches further along the path. The only rocky beach is the one where the zip line runs above/along.

Dan

Never been to Labadee and really hope the Oasis can stop there next Monday. I long to be barefoot on Barefoot Beach! ;)

My parents will be on this cruise with you. My Dad has been waiting to do the Zipline, he has been working out and losing weight, just so he can go. I hope he gets to go.

Since Belize is more than 1,000 miles from Haiti I am pretty sure you will not be going there if Labadee is dropped. You won't be going to Mexico either, for the same reason. Dominican Republic could be an option, assuming there is docking space available.

Oh my word how stupid of me, we are going to Cozumel and for some odd reason I thought Cozumel was in Mexico. Guess I better get a map out, oh man, can't believe how stupid I am these days - getting old sure stinks. As for Belize, gee I thought it was only a few hundred miles from Cozumel since a previous cruise went to both Cozumel and Belize. Forgive me for my misinformation. Guess I should've checked things out before posting such nonsense!!!! I guess we will just be floating in the sea if we don't make it to Labadee :(

I believe I told someone who accused me of being negative that 70% of my posts were helpful/factual, 25% were humorous, and 5% were snarky.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Actually I thought your level of snarkiness (is that a word?) had dropped off since the start of the new year and I was wondering if maybe you were not feeling well. :p :D

Actually I thought your level of snarkiness (is that a word?) had dropped off since the start of the new year and I was wondering if maybe you were not feeling well. :p :D

Topics haven't been all that interesting lately. Racking the noggin thinking of the 5 new topics. I do have a new meme that I can't wait to use

I take it you've never been to Barefoot Beach on Labadee? It is very nice. There are rocks but they are off to the sides of the swimming area. Are you perhaps referring to a different beach?

Edited by three4rd

We really enjoyed visiting Labadee back in 2013. I sure hope Royal is able to sort out the issues with the local government and protesters. I know they have made significant investments in aid and education for the Haitian people over the years. Lets hope they can find a way to continue to help employ locals and bring money into the economy while offering a wonderful vacation port for the tourists.

As an aside, I remember hearing about the citadel excursion back when we traveled there. It would make a wonderful addition to the port.

it looks like the Navigator, Vision, Allure & Independence have all cancelled their calls at Labadee next week. These are stops up to Jan. 27.

We are On Allure now and on the cruise next week but no word of it to us?

Doubt we will go but heard nothing or seen anything about Allure so far ?

it looks like the Navigator, Vision, Allure & Independence have all cancelled their calls at Labadee next week. These are stops up to Jan. 27.
Where is this info coming from? I've heard of the email sent to Navigator guests say no Labadee; did other ships get them?

Where is this info coming from? I've heard of the email sent to Navigator guests say no Labadee; did other ships get them?

Royal Caribbean has pulled all employees from Labadee, except for a small security force (I presume), and no ships will be going there until the issues are resolved. No one can say whether this will be days, weeks, or months.

the Navigator, Vision & Allure "roll calls" for these sailings have confirmed it. The Independence stops the same day as the Vision, so I'm assuming it's also cancelled.

Not to mention the many US churches who have sent aid and people for years. The biggest issue those groups have found is that the Haitian people want a handout and not a hand up. They are so totally dependent on outside help. And, now, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Agreed -- I say just let them sink now ... they had their lifeline .. and a damn good one too ... and they blew it ...

I still say RC was crazy to invest that kind of money in a place like Haiti to begin with. You cant put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel ..... its still Haiti.

This whole thing is very typical of the third world mentality -- resent the people who are helping you ... and who you desperately need. Fools.

Edited by F27TW

the Navigator, Vision & Allure "roll calls" for these sailings have confirmed it. The Independence stops the same day as the Vision, so I'm assuming it's also cancelled.
I have looked at the Roll Calls for Vision 21 Jan 16, Allure 24 Jan 16 and Independence 25 Jan 16. ONE report that Vision is not stopping, but I don't see any reports for Allure or Independence missing Labadee. CVU just above says they are B2B on Allure this week and next and have heard nothing. Can you give specific links?

RCCL has been very good to the people of Haiti. Bottom line - Haiti needs RCCL.

Bottom line - Haitians are not smart enough to see what RCCL offers them. The worst country in the Western hemisphere and now they protest. I have family in Haiti near labadee. What a truly F'd up country.

Agreed -- I say just let them sink now ... they had their lifeline .. and a damn good one too ... and they blew it ...

I still say RC was crazy to invest that kind of money in a place like Haiti to begin with. You cant put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel ..... its still Haiti.

This whole thing is very typical of the third world mentality -- resent the people who are helping you ... and who you desperately need. Fools.

Being a bit in the know from people who live there, you hit the bull's eye.

I read through most of this thread and I remain confused ... A handful of people are "protesting", but it wasn't clear to me what they were protesting. The closest explanation comes from a single sign that says "USA Away". And how is any of this related to an upcoming election?

What could possibly have motivated a group of people to drive off a source of income ... unless they weren't part of the lucky few who got to harvest some of that income.