Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

Well, we are getting Royally screwed. Supposed to be on a 10 night western Caribbean Grandeur of the seas, cruise leaving yesterday (1/24). The snow storm makes it a 9 night....okay, no biggie, let's skip Labadee and carry on. Received an email at one am letting us know they are changing it to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, missing Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica....instead making a late afternoon stop in San Juan, St. Thomas and <<drumroll >>> Labadee!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? Apparently the cruise line thinks that the issue is resolved. If we can't dock, I'm going to flip my lid. I'm already sick for having such a large itinerary shift. [emoji32]

Thanks for the laugh ... Oh wait ... You weren't kidding?

Well, we are getting Royally screwed. Supposed to be on a 10 night western Caribbean Grandeur of the seas, cruise leaving yesterday (1/24). The snow storm makes it a 9 night....okay, no biggie, let's skip Labadee and carry on. Received an email at one am letting us know they are changing it to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, missing Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica....instead making a late afternoon stop in San Juan, St. Thomas and <<drumroll >>> Labadee!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? Apparently the cruise line thinks that the issue is resolved. If we can't dock, I'm going to flip my lid. I'm already sick for having such a large itinerary shift. [emoji32]
Thanks for the info. Itsounds like a decision made on what they can do in 9 versus 10 days, and (obviously) not driven by Labadee availability. FWIW Eastern Caribbean runs usually cost somewhat more than Western, so that is in your favor, but if your heart was set on your other stops that is not much consolation.

I hope that your cruise overcomes its delayed start and change of schedule and that you end up having a great time.

I always believed that we were helping them. This is a couple of people that live/work in Haiti:

Jason Redmond · Works at Colibri-Haiti

Well said Jacques. I live in Haiti and travel between Port-Au-Prince and Cap Haitian. And that is the truth. Owen regaurdless of what you think you saw RC load or unload. Anything they bring off is not going to the locals. It will go to a powerfull individual that will turn around and sell it for a profit. That is how it works in Haiti. Nothing just get handed out unless you come and personally do it yourself. Even than you will have to pay someone. Eternally Grim that is a nice thought but the truth is for the most part everything that you eat or due at Labadee has been brought in by RC. Its all foriegn vendors and 4-5 wealthy Haitians that have the contracts. The few veted haitian workers mostl likely make about 1000 GHD($20) for the day of work. It is not a bunch of ungratefull people. They are hard working and just are tired of getting brushed aside. I love going to Labadee Village and I tell you the truth the tourist are missing out.

Mandi Marie Muha · Homeschooled

Jason is on the right track. I also live and work in Haiti for the last 3.5 years and have traveled between Port-au-Prince and Cap-Haitian over the last year and a half for work, staying in CAP for roughly half of that time getting acquainted with the local social scene, available businesses, making friends among expats and Haitians alike, and spending ALOT of time near Labadee at a resort called Cormierplage due to my light work schedule up there. I have never been inside the R.C. "Labadee" (the Village and the port where R.C. docks are both referred to as "Labadee" which I have always wondered about and assumed the name was just assigned to the cruise docking station by its' close vicinity to the actual town) but I have many friends and acquaintances whose jobs are ENTIRELY inside the R.C. "Labadee". most of these people are expats and foreigners it seems, running tours to the local Amiga/Ila Rat Island, running fishing excursions, taking passengers to Paradis/Cadras Beach (the beach that everyone has been referring to in this thread), etc. I too see a dying town in Village Labadee although it is a beautiful place with locals and even a quaint guesthouse still in business called "Norm's Place."

I do not know for sure how many vendors (if any) are local Haitians selling their wares, I think I may have heard of a few. And I'm not sure how one lands a vendor booth in the R.C. Labadee, but I imagine it is not without some important connections/network and maybe a little palm money to grease certain hands. That would not be unbelievable to anyone who lives and works in Haiti.

As for the food that is "unloaded and given to the locals," first of all it is obvious that giving of products/food/supplies to poor people rather than giving them a useful employment and a business that helps them provide for their families and livelihoods (which everyone knows includes more than just having a full stomach) isn't that helpful. And it perpetuates them as beggers always.

secondly, the only thing I've heard about the food that is brought into R.C. Labadee off the boat is that it is brought in for the purpose of providing for the passenger's food needs for the day they are docked there. And the only thing I've heard about any of this said food reaching the locals is that once the passengers are back on the boat, the food is not allowed to be brought back to the boat for sanitary reasons, and what is left in country is free for the taking by those who work at the port and anyone they care to share with.

Anyone who works out of R.C. Labadee can correct me if I'm wrong - I welcome it!

I am also boarding Grandeur OTS today and I am also in amazement that they flip flopped the entire cruise and the only port that is still scheduled is Labadee.

Am I missing something here RCI ? I actually thing I know the answer. All of the RCI attractions make more money for RCI. Not good at all.:confused:

I am also boarding Grandeur OTS today and I am also in amazement that they flip flopped the entire cruise and the only port that is still scheduled is Labadee.

Am I missing something here RCI ? I actually thing I know the answer. All of the RCI attractions make more money for RCI. Not good at all.:confused:

The only surprise is Labadee. Since you leaving from Baltimore changing the itinerary was done so you would have an itinerary since the ship has to go all the way to the Caribbean and back in nine days. What is doable in ten was not in nine.

Am I missing something here RCI ? I actually thing I know the answer. All of the RCI attractions make more money for RCI. Not good at all. :confused:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You do realize that RCI is a for-profit corporation, right? What's the problem with RCI profiting from the attractions they built at Labadee? :confused:

Edited by Aquahound

...Am I missing something here RCI?...
Actually I think you are missing something. The new routing is approximately 550 nautical miles (over a full day sailing at 20 knots) shorter than the old routing. Even at full speed, I don't think it is possible for the Grandeur to sail the old routing and leave time in ports in the number of days now available. I understand frustration with not getting what you expected, but choices had to be made. Do you really want the old routing and end up with little or no time in port?

Thom

I agree, the buffet is nothing to rave about--cold burgers, chicken, etc.. We usually go back to the ship for a nice quiet lunch.

At least the burgers were hot and grilled on the spot at Barefoot beach ;)

I've read most of this thread and quite a bit of others. Has there been any official word from Royal regarding a possible return to normal schedule for Labadee? I did attend our local travel show this weekend and when the A&A died down I asked if Royal had any official comment and after a the cold daggers pierced my heart, I was given the usual canned response. Nothing that had any useful information.

I've had them toss a hot dog back on the flame to char it up a bit. No love for the main buffet line. Ribs are ok

They had minute steak but it was on the tough side. That was with Celebrity. I don't recall minute steak with Royal.

The time I was at Barefoot Beach it was on Royal and they had steak, shrimp. A much better buffet. We were in a cabana and they brought it to us. I wonder if they still have that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

They are at the other locations too. Grilled on the spot. I never had cold burgers.

As for Labadee, I'll have to admit, prior to this past April, I hadn't been there since 2008 and perhaps my memory is more related to CocoCay where I've seen the burgers brought off the ship and kept warmed in trays with sterno type heaters underneath. The one benefit I thought from the Cabana as Nellies was the better tasting burger to me. :)

They had minute steak but it was on the tough side. That was with Celebrity. I don't recall minute steak with Royal.

The time I was at Barefoot Beach it was on Royal and they had steak, shrimp. A much better buffet. We were in a cabana and they brought it to us. I wonder if they still have that?

They had that steak last April when I was there on Freedom. It was overcooked and tough, the burger was actually better. Not being a shrimp eater the best part of the experience for me was having real plates and utensils!

They are at the other locations too. Grilled on the spot. I never had cold burgers.

Did they hand the grilled hamburger to you, otherwise it's dumped in a large dish--therefore it's lukewarm, at best. Same for the dogs and ribs.

Did they hand the grilled hamburger to you, otherwise it's dumped in a large dish--therefore it's lukewarm, at best. Same for the dogs and ribs.

They were grilling them and putting them in a container. They were barely keeping up when I have been there so the food was warm temperature. As I said the picnic style food there is Ok in my opinion. If you keep in mind you are on a beach not on a ship. It is sufficient for a beach but it could be better. I recall the food served at other private ports, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cay more fondly than Labadee.

They were grilling them and putting them in a container. They were barely keeping up when I have been there so the food was warm temperature. As I said the picnic style food there is Ok in my opinion. If you keep in mind you are on a beach not on a ship. It is sufficient for a beach but it could be better. I recall the food served at other private ports, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cay more fondly than Labadee.

I think the burger on BB is better than WJ. The problem is the buns are awful.

You are missing a lot.

I won't rehash what the others have said, but you're looking at it completely off. It's basically a given in the cruise industry that weather causes port changes. If you haven't had this happen, you either (1) don't cruise a lot or (2) are the luckiest person on the seas.

I know I am in the minority but either would be better than Labadee in my opinion. One visit was enough - so many more appealing ports.

Thank you for your opinion.

We, however, booked this cruise because of Labadee. We have never cruised in the Caribbean before, getting a sea-day extra is not that interesting for us. We live in Norway and if we want a day at sea, we just take a local cruise to Kiel or something :)

Now we have to consider canceling and loosing the deposit.. We have 2 weeks to decide. I guess if we do not find a good alternative cruise, we just stay on Indy anyway.

We are due there tomorrow on Allure. Captain has not announced differently since Day 1 yesterday.

We enjoy Labadee. Some maybe not.

We don't get off in Nassau. Some may do so. Each person is different.

Edited by CVU

I've read most of this thread and quite a bit of others. Has there been any official word from Royal regarding a possible return to normal schedule for Labadee? I did attend our local travel show this weekend and when the A&A died down I asked if Royal had any official comment and after a the cold daggers pierced my heart, I was given the usual canned response. Nothing that had any useful information.

I just read on another forum that the Navigator is being rerouted to Belize on a cruise by cruise basis until the situation is resolved. she said she called Royal Caribbean this morning and that's what she was told in regards to her upcoming sailing. I hope they substitute ports for the other ships as well.

Edited by jtdlmc

We are due there tomorrow on Allure. Captain has not announced differently since Day 1 yesterday.

We enjoy Labadee. Some maybe not.

We don't get off in Nassau. Some may do so. Each person is different.

CVU, please let us know what happens tomorrow. Our Allure cruise is scheduled to stop in Labadee in March and are looking forward it. I hope this will have been "figured out" by then or we will have another stop announced replacing it well in advance of our sailing.

Enjoy your time on Allure and thanks for the information.

I just read on another forum that the Navigator is being rerouted to Belize on a cruise by cruise basis until the situation is resolved. she said she called Royal Caribbean this morning and that's what she was told in regards to her upcoming sailing. I hope they substitute ports for the other ships as well.

Yep

Navigator is now just outside Belize

And wasn't Grandeur scheduled to visit Labadee on this cruise, anyway?

Yes, Labadee was scheduled. They know that. They want it skipped with the new itinerary. Grandeur does Labadee on both Eastern and Western so it is not surprising it is on the itinerary. Of course being on the itinerary does not mean they will actually dock there. Time will tell.

8d29d75ada88198ea93ae229af30b140.jpg

Edited by Charles4515