Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

I love going to Labadee. I feel badly about this whole situation and for the Haitian people. Do we know if there are still protesters there? Does RCI have any staff there maintaining the grounds?

Edited by mnak

I love going to Labadee. I feel badly about this whole situation and for the Haitian people. Do we know if there are still protesters there? Does RCI have any staff there maintaining the grounds?

I hope they get it resolved before my cruise in April on the Allure, or if not then RCL has an alternative port lined up.

As for the Haitian people, I have mixed feelings. They are understandably upset about their political and economic situation. But biting the hands that feed them (by preventing passengers from disembarking) only hurts the locals who depend on the money these folks bring in.

I read in another thread where they were making obscene gestures at the guests while they were circling the ship in their little boats. If that's really how they feel, them RCL needs to give them the "bird" and stop elsewhere!

I read in another thread where they were making obscene gestures at the guests while they were circling the ship in their little boats. If that's really how they feel, them RCL needs to give them the "bird" and stop elsewhere!

They were. Double birds and my wife & I were debating whether they were just bouncing and dancing or humping the air as they did it.

CVU, please let us know what happens tomorrow. Our Allure cruise is scheduled to stop in Labadee in March and are looking forward it. I hope this will have been "figured out" by then or we will have another stop announced replacing it well in advance of our sailing.

Enjoy your time on Allure and thanks for the information.

I will report in tomorrow and let you know how it goes. It is day by day I would imagine, depending on the group of protesters.

But perhaps since the election is postponed for now, they wish to keep RCLs business :)

I hope they get it resolved before my cruise in April on the Allure, or if not then RCL has an alternative port lined up.

As for the Haitian people, I have mixed feelings. They are understandably upset about their political and economic situation. But biting the hands that feed them (by preventing passengers from disembarking) only hurts the locals who depend on the money these folks bring in.

We don't know who the protesters represent. We have protests all the time here. Protests often are by a minority. Which doesn't mean grievances are not valid but we don't know. We also don't know that they are biting the hand that feeds them. Maybe Royal isn't the hand that feeds them, or maybe the hand that does not feed them enough and that is why they are protesting.

As far as preventing the passengers from getting off. Royal decided not to let the passengers off. They didn't want the passengers to be disturbed by the protest. I don't think that decision was wrong as the whole point of Labadee is a relaxing beach day. I'd be back on the ship myself relaxing there if there was a protest going on.

Also as has been mentioned Royal has a huge investment in Labadee. They are not going to decide to leave because of small protest. If they leave it will be because they were kicked out. I expect Royal has been busy negotiating with someone to end the protests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

RCL is not going to rush into any decision as they have a lot invested in the various attractions and infrastructure.

Thank you for your opinion.

We, however, booked this cruise because of Labadee. We have never cruised in the Caribbean before, getting a sea-day extra is not that interesting for us. We live in Norway and if we want a day at sea, we just take a local cruise to Kiel or something :)

Now we have to consider canceling and loosing the deposit.. We have 2 weeks to decide. I guess if we do not find a good alternative cruise, we just stay on Indy anyway.

We also booked because of Labadee locals are so nice. We generally like to bring clothes and toletries and the such to give to the locals. Can not get over how people can talk about them protesting giving them heck for trying to make a better life!!

Edited by nosmothj

Situation not looking good,as President Michel Martelly of Haiti is refusing to leave office on Feb. 7, when term is up. He was installed by voter fraud perpetrated by U. S. in 2010. Martelly's right hand man, Guy Philippe, a senate candidate is calingl for an uprising if Martelly is forced out. Phillips is a wanted fugitive by Miami DEA for import of cocaine.

I will report in tomorrow and let you know how it goes. It is day by day I would imagine, depending on the group of protesters.

But perhaps since the election is postponed for now, they wish to keep RCLs business :)

Thank you for doing this. :) We sail Oasis on Saturday and are scheduled to stop in Labadee so I'm anxious to see what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed that you're able to enjoy Labadee. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Situation not looking good,as President Michel Martelly of Haiti is refusing to leave office on Feb. 7, when term is up. He was installed by voter fraud perpetrated by U. S. in 2010. Martelly's right hand man, Guy Philippe, a senate candidate is calingl for an uprising if Martelly is forced out. Phillips is a wanted fugitive by Miami DEA for import of cocaine.

Why not, when in doubt, blame the US for all of the Word's ills.

We were at Labadee this past Dec. While a protest was going on at Port Au Prince, 85 miles away as the crow flies and about 165 by road way. The closest town to labadee is Cap Haiti aprox 6 miles away with a population of 180000, and we didn't no anything was going on. Was only disapointed with the ribs at the BBQ, as they looked liked they were cooked in a steamer, gray looking with only a drizzle here and there with BBQ sauce. Even the stray dog didn't want it. Went back to ship for lunch. Going back the end of Feb. on Oasis. Would like to port in Grand Cayman as we go right by it on way to Cozumel. Rather have a sea day then ending up in Nassau.

Here is a link to what shakenbake was talking about. I will be on the Feb. 8 IOS cruise to Labadee and Jamica. If they stop in Labadee, I will not get off the ship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgianne-nienaber/haitis-martelly-and-his-h_b_9068496.html

I guess you believe anything you read on any old blog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked this cruise versus others because of the stop at Labadee. It's a great beach day that includes lunch and drinks (premium package). We are supposed to stop at Labadee on March 3rd and we have an OTW cabana booked.

I quess we will play it by ear, but I hope they make a decision ahead of time so we can plan accordingly. If we are not going with a sea day instead I will set up a beach day for Grand Cayman where we were planned to stay onboard.

I'm on the Navigator next week and I'd be ok with substituting Belize for Labadee. I doubt it's possible as our first port is Grand Cayman and the last is Labadee. The whole itinerary would probably have to be flipped to make Belize work.

Well, we are getting Royally screwed. Supposed to be on a 10 night western Caribbean Grandeur of the seas, cruise leaving yesterday (1/24). The snow storm makes it a 9 night....okay, no biggie, let's skip Labadee and carry on. Received an email at one am letting us know they are changing it to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, missing Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica....instead making a late afternoon stop in San Juan, St. Thomas and <<drumroll >>> Labadee!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? Apparently the cruise line thinks that the issue is resolved. If we can't dock, I'm going to flip my lid. I'm already sick for having such a large itinerary shift. [emoji32]

I feel your pain, but I learned several years ago not to book a cruise where I would be heartbroken if the itinerary was changed. We were supposed to go to Egypt about 5 years ago on BOTS, and had to cancel at he the last minute,(yes we had insurance.) Imagine our shock when we read about the ship in the news - there was a severe storm in the Med that prevented the ship from going to Egypt. The only reason we had booked that particular cruise was to go there, so we counted our blessing that we had to cancel, but it taught me a lesson about planning a trip where one port or area is the main event.

Edited by mek

We (Anthem) will be there on February 3.

Just confirmed.

How did you hear this? (email from Concierge? other?)

When the Titanic passed Newfoundland, her arrival into NY on 17 Apr 1912 was confirmed. That did not work out exactly on schedule:rolleyes:

ADD: Duh, you are ON Anthem; my bad - thanks for letting us know - smooth sailing!

Edited by TravelerThom

Is Royal still paying the $12 head tax

Just returned from the Navigator of the Seas cruise. We had Labadee cancelled and replaced with an at sea day. The next day, the port tax was credited to or account.