Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

The posts about the protest mentioned $12 so I assumed it was PP. Even if it is $6 pp, that should be a fixed amount and not variable - why are people getting differing refunds?

I wondered that too. (regardless of the amount).

Think it all comes down to what Royal had to pay out in port fees/taxes vs what was collected.

In my case two room were the same type booked a week or so apart. One had $106 in taxes and fees, the other one was $122.

The room that had $122 got $4.56, the other one got nothing.

Only logic I can think of is the refund for Labadee went towards the taxes/fees that were less at time of booking, but were now higher.

Edited by chandom

I personally will be very disappointed if we don't make it to Labadee. I've never been and was really looking forward to this port. We've been talking about going on the zipline for over a year.

I'm leaving Feb. 8 and supposed to go to Labadee. I've never been either and will be disappointed if we don't make it, or at least alternatively some other port I've never been to. I enjoy going to new places. I already have 2 sea days on my cruise, I don't need another one.

On my Greek Isles cruise we had to miss our Athens stop due to protests but we were able to go to Mykonos. I was one happy camper. But I suspect getting a last minute option is not easy and in the Caribbean - most likely non existent.

Edited by LisaAtlCruiser

The stupid part was that as we were sitting there at the dock on Freedom, one guy on a microphone is yelling apologies to the ship about missing our port and about 10 guys are flipping us the bird with both hands and dancing.

If that's the sentiment of the people there at Labadee, I think it's time for RCL to flip Haiti the bird and start using another port as a stop for their cruises.

Edited by IndyKid

One of the reasons we got a GS instead of a JS was because I LOVE the private beach & amenities for suite guests.

Our cruise is a couple of months out.

Hope all is cleared up by then.

Same here! I had this cruise booked for last year but pushed it off to this year because I wanted the GS (upgraded from JS) because of the barefoot beach, etc. We are scheduled on the Grandeur in April. If the situation isn't resolved by then, I think I'd seriously consider pushing off this cruise again. I have no interest in an extra sea day. There are already too many on this cruise.

Edited by three4rd

I personally will be very disappointed if we don't make it to Labadee. I've never been and was really looking forward to this port. We've been talking about going on the zipline for over a year.

I hope you make it - it's lovely. I've missed Half Moon Cay on 3 cruises and have pretty much given up gong there.

Edited by mek

If "next week" is the 30 Jan Oasis sailing, that is the same sailing I'm on. It sounds like you are postulating Oasis into Nassau the day after sailing (31 Jan)- Allure is in FLL that day. If Labadee is a no go, my hope is for Falmouth, Costa Maya and Cozumel - they all have dock space on the likely days, and while I don't think Costa Maya is an excellent port, I like it much more than Nassau. YMMV

Thom

Thom yes we are on the same sailing! I would totally go for Costa Maya I really don't care where we go just would prefer to port somewhere rather than do it as a sea day. If it's not safe I don't want to go we are bring our 4 yr daughter for the first time so we are absolutely safety first!

If that's the sentiment of the people there at Labadee, I think it's time for RCL to flip Haiti the bird and start using another port as a stop for their cruises.

The locals working at Labadee were congregated on the shore watching, like we were watching from the boat.

The protesters were out in the water on boats holding signs that didn't make any sense to most, if any, non-Haitians on board. They were clanging metal sheets and swimming from boat to boat.

It was a sad group of protesters.

Lab-block.jpg

Their signs said:

"ABA Jerry"

"Finish the project which started in the village"

"Restart the coming back of the people to the ship"

One of them was holding a pizza box with about 50 lines of text on it that I assume they wanted to be seen by Superman's super-vision. I had to use my long zoom lens to read the 3 signs above. No chance I could read the chicken scratch on the pizza box.

One guy kept waving a machete around like he was that guy Indiana Jones shot in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The best line of the day was from a guy who said "It's like a hundred skinny Haitians sitting on floating tin cans. One of them has a machete. We've got 4,000 people and a lot of them are quite plump. We can use the WJ trays as shields! We can totally take them! Who's with me?"

We are on Freedom 3 weeks from today. I hope after the election things are calm in Haiti. I would hate to miss my favorite, relaxing, soak up the rays beach day.

For what it's worth, the elections didn't happen today. They have been postponed indefinitely. Another interim government will (hopefully) be formed Feb 7 to oversee the setting of new elections. It's anyone's guess on how that will play out with the public. Remains to be seen.

...One of them was holding a pizza box with about 50 lines of text on it that I assume they wanted to be seen by Superman's super-vision. I had to use my long zoom lens to read the 3 signs above. No chance I could read the chicken scratch on the pizza box.

200mm telephoto on a 1.6 crop body, zoomed to 700% in Photoshop...

Still can't make anything out, however the first word does look like "Royal"

Edited by chandom

The buffet is ok. Calling it amazing puzzles me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, the buffet is nothing to rave about--cold burgers, chicken, etc.. We usually go back to the ship for a nice quiet lunch.

Nice! A diversion they would not be able to make if they were on an Oasis class ship.

Freedom is on the Eastern route this week, so she was going to CocoCay anyway. However, switching CocoCay for Labadee on Freedom's Western route would also be possible.

I'm scheduled for Labadee on February 23rd. I'm hoping that if the port is still being skipped, Royal will have come up with an alternative, which would, unfortunately, probably be Nassau.

200mm telephoto on a 1.6 crop body, zoomed to 700% in Photoshop...

Still can't make anything out, however the first word does look like "Royal"

I had a 300mm, also on the crop (1.5?????) sensor, and still couldn't read it either. Although, I never took a direct shot of that one trying to get it. It was just incidental in the other shots and always at some sort of angle.

Thanks for showing people what I was describing.

Well, we are getting Royally screwed. Supposed to be on a 10 night western Caribbean Grandeur of the seas, cruise leaving yesterday (1/24). The snow storm makes it a 9 night....okay, no biggie, let's skip Labadee and carry on. Received an email at one am letting us know they are changing it to an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, missing Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica....instead making a late afternoon stop in San Juan, St. Thomas and <<drumroll >>> Labadee!!!!!!! Are you kidding me???? Apparently the cruise line thinks that the issue is resolved. If we can't dock, I'm going to flip my lid. I'm already sick for having such a large itinerary shift. [emoji32]