Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

We are going to Labadee the 25th of February. If this continue to be a situation, what would be more likely; change of port or an extra sea day?

I know I am in the minority but either would be better than Labadee in my opinion. One visit was enough - so many more appealing ports.

I know I am in the minority but either would be better than Labadee in my opinion. One visit was enough - so many more appealing ports.
Without agreeing with your assessment, porting in Labadee is MUCH better than a sea day - if you don't want to get off at Labadee you don't have to, and then you have a relatively small number of passengers on board - very easy to get a pool chair, no crowd at the Flowrider or Zip line, etc. So unless you are in love with that crowded ship feel and a zoo in Windjammer, what's not to like?

I would doubt it. The cruise ticket contract specifically addresses missed ports, which are a relatively common occurrence, with no liability on the cruise lines behalf.

Coco Cay is missed frequently due to heavy seas which prohibit the safe operation of the tenders. This also has happened at Grand Cayman. Storms force rerouting around ports of call, etc.

This is a situation out of the cruise lines' control and responsibility.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi we are sailing on Oasis this coming Saturday ad it doesn't look likely that we will be able to go to Labadee does anyone know what port they may be able to sub it with? I thought maybe Nassau but Allure would be there also so don't think there is room for 2 big ships. So what do you guys think they could sub is with. I know Oasis is limited to where they can go because of her size.

We are going on NOS on January 31 and we are suppose to dock at Labadee. If they know there is an ongoing issue, will will go somewhere else? I don't want to spend another day at sea.

Going somewhere else is a matter of logistics and proximity to another port of call and the ability to have availability for the ship there on that date. I guess if they know far enough in advance, maybe something could be planned to amend the itinerary altogether. But relative to Labadee, if the pan is to keep the same basic itinerary, the Dominican Republic and maybe Turks and Caicos would be the only other options I can think of that might work. Most likely just another day at sea.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The refund in port taxes varied.

I never got anything. Diffrent room booked a week after and had higher taxes got back $4.56.

Based on what I was hearing it ranged from a few bucks to the seven dollar range.

Then how is RCI giving Haiti $12 pp? :confused:

We are going on NOS on January 31 and we are suppose to dock at Labadee. If they know there is an ongoing issue, will will go somewhere else? I don't want to spend another day at sea.
What you don't understand is that what you want is not important to anyone but you. I'm sure many folks are very happy with another sea day. I'm sure RCI will do the best they can under the circumstances.

Hi we are sailing on Oasis this coming Saturday ad it doesn't look likely that we will be able to go to Labadee does anyone know what port they may be able to sub it with? I thought maybe Nassau but Allure would be there also so don't think there is room for 2 big ships. So what do you guys think they could sub is with. I know Oasis is limited to where they can go because of her size.
If "next week" is the 30 Jan Oasis sailing, that is the same sailing I'm on. It sounds like you are postulating Oasis into Nassau the day after sailing (31 Jan)- Allure is in FLL that day. If Labadee is a no go, my hope is for Falmouth, Costa Maya and Cozumel - they all have dock space on the likely days, and while I don't think Costa Maya is an excellent port, I like it much more than Nassau. YMMV

Thom

....I thought it was $6 pp. Maybe I am incorrect or that amount has changed.

The posts about the protest mentioned $12 so I assumed it was PP. Even if it is $6 pp, that should be a fixed amount and not variable - why are people getting differing refunds?

What you don't understand is that what you want is not important to anyone but you. I'm sure many folks are very happy with another sea day. I'm sure RCI will do the best they can under the circumstances.

LOL FLACRUISER99!! I asked my kids and I am not the ONLY one that would like to have to have a stop somewhere else if Labadee doesn't work. They do to!! Your response was so funny!! Have a great day.

Thanks for all the other replies. Understand if logistics don't work out and was just asking to see if it was possible to stop somewhere else.

If what I want (stopping somewhere else) is important to ANYONE but me (and my family), please respond! So funny FLACRUISER99!!

We're on the Jan. 30th sailing of Oasis and scheduled to stop in Labadee but from the looks of things, we should be totally prepared for another sea day. Not really what anybody wants but under the circumstances, I'd much rather stay on the ship than have to deal with protesters. There's nothing we can do about it and it's all for our own good. ;)

I've been on quite a few cruises that have missed a port, sometimes with short notice and others not. Most of the time, it's just another day at sea because it's not always easy go schedule another stop even if there is one in the area.

We're on the January 30th sailing too and I am prepared for another sea day. I was looking forward to seeing Labadee since we've never been there before but no way do I want to risk being safe and would much rather relax on board than worry about protesters. ;) It's a shame that we're on a 7 day cruise with only two ports but that's the chance we all take when we book a cruise.