Royal Caribbean Bypasses Labadee Due to Local Protests

LauraS

People come here for answers???

I thought they came here for validation or to escape boredom at work

Humourous, if not somewhat factual. I'll admit to 40% answers, 10% validation and 50% boredom at work. :)

Humourous, if not somewhat factual. I'll admit to 40% answers, 10% validation and 50% boredom at work. :)

I believe I told someone who accused me of being negative that 70% of my posts were helpful/factual, 25% were humorous, and 5% were snarky.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

As for Labadee, if my sailing doesn't make it there, I hope it goes to Belize. I did read somewhere yesterday that Navigator was expected to go there today but they didn't. I really don't want another sea day or a Mexican port. The Dominican Republic would be my second choice.

Since Belize is more than 1,000 miles from Haiti I am pretty sure you will not be going there if Labadee is dropped. You won't be going to Mexico either, for the same reason. Dominican Republic could be an option, assuming there is docking space available.

Since Belize is more than 1,000 miles from Haiti I am pretty sure you will not be going there if Labadee is dropped. You won't be going to Mexico either, for the same reason. Dominican Republic could be an option, assuming there is docking space available.

Impossible to say without knowing more about what cruise they were referring to. Many Royal and X cruises that stop in Labadee also stop in Cozumel and extra ports. On a 7 day or longer cruise with enough notice those other ports aren't out of the question, its not like they have to go to Labadee and wave as they bypass the port.

Sorry, but we are on the VI now and have been told that we will not be going to Labadee next cruise. Jan 24 will be a "sea day".

The Vision staff is now saying that Labadee has not been cancelled. They will continue to monitor the situation and will go there if it is deemed safe to do so.

I believe I told someone who accused me of being negative that 70% of my posts were helpful/factual, 25% were humorous, and 5% were snarky.

I can believe that. Even times when I've disagreed with you, I haven't felt you were negative as indicated by the fact you are not on my growing list added to the ignore posts list where the continuously negative people end up. I added a new line to my signature to cut down on my snarkiness. I will admit to responding to a few old threads just because the unsolicited moderators seem to really hate that.

My thoughts on the OP's original question..

Sorry.. a quick aside... As Canadians, we've been able to go to Cuba for for years now. There is a huge All Inclusive Resort market there. Lots of Canadians go there. It is the cheapest of the islands as far as All Inclusive resorts go. I've never been there, but have many friends who have, and they say it's like Dominican Republic (Punta Cana, etc), but the food in Cuba is worse.

Anyway.. on Haiti:

No, I don't think this is the "end" of Labadee for Royal Caribbean. These protests will go away. Royal has too much invested in Labadee, and too much opportunity to let this one slip so easily. Labadee really is a shining star in the Royal cap.

Anyway.. on Haiti:

No, I don't think this is the "end" of Labadee for Royal Caribbean. These protests will go away. Royal has too much invested in Labadee, and too much opportunity to let this one slip so easily. Labadee really is a shining star in the Royal cap.

I've read many of your posts regarding this area with interest. I have to say, and use the term "my gut feel" (because so many people say things they feel and present it as fact) is your right. If the protests are related to the Royal/local relationship and if possible local corruption is involved with their dissatisfaction, we may not hear the facts and I assume much is being done behind the scene. Perhaps events of early next week may give us more insight.

Edited by BillOh

I've read many of your posts regarding this area with interest. I have to say, and use the term "my gut feel" (because so many people say things they feel and present it as fact) is your right. If the protests are related to the Royal/local relationship and if possible local corruption is involved with their dissatisfaction, we may not hear the facts and I assume much is being done behind the scene. Perhaps events of early next week may give us more insight.

I have some co-workers in Haiti. The way I understand it is, the locals are upset that the government receives anywhere between $36,000 - $72,000 per ship visit....over 100k if 2 ships are in port, yet the local communities see little to no improvement. Stop the ships...stop the source of $$ to the corrupt government.

As an aside, I've heard time and time again there has been opportunity for locals to benefit from excursions outside of Labadee. I've heard Citadel Laferriere bantered quite a bit. But if what I'm told is accurate, there's been no support from the government to make it logistically possible.

Don't bank on what I'm saying being totally accurate. I don't know this first hand.

I read someplace one time that 68% of statistics were made up on the spot to support opinions that had no basis in fact.

I didn't believe it until I started following Cruise Critic.

:)

I have some co-workers in Haiti. The way I understand it is, the locals are upset that the government receives anywhere between $36,000 - $72,000 per ship visit....over 100k if 2 ships are in port, yet the local communities see little to no improvement. Stop the ships...stop the source of $$ to the corrupt government.

As an aside, I've heard time and time again there has been opportunity for locals to benefit from excursions outside of Labadee. I've heard Citadel Laferriere bantered quite a bit. But if what I'm told is accurate, there's been no support from the government to make it logistically possible.

Don't bank on what I'm saying being totally accurate. I don't know this first hand.

I've wondered for years why the government and Royal haven't managed to find a way to offer excursions to the Citadel. I suppose Royal could care less, just as happy to keep people contained in the fence buying booze and paying for cabana's......

Edited by bouhunter

I've wondered for years why the government and Royal haven't managed to find a way to offer excursions to the Citadel. I suppose Royal could care less, just as happy to keep people contained in the fence buying booze and paying for cabana's......

Really, rci has been trying to work this out for at least 6 years now

http://haitiinnovation.org/en/2008/02/18/haitian-government-expands-agreement-royal-carribean#comment-8455

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/RCCL-will-launch-tours-to-Haiti-s-Citadelle-eventually

Edited by setsail

There should definitely be some kind of compensation. Especially since I'll be there on Feb 1st. Part of the reason I booked this cruise is for

labadee. Never been and have heard nothing but great things about it.

Been to Labadee once and have no desire to go back. I don't see the attraction with the rocky beach. I would vote for RCI to pick another port permanently.

Been to Labadee once and have no desire to go back. I don't see the attraction with the rocky beach. I would vote for RCI to pick another port permanently.

...or you can just walk over to the non-rocky beaches, like Columbus Cove.