First time Cruise Tipping

Beach Lover 64

I have read a lot about this and know that there are a lot of opinions about this. But I am trying to find out some real information. I realize that they add gratuities to your bill on a daily basis. And to be honest I do not have a problem with that. However when we sailed in January 3 on the Regal I made sure that we took Thank you notes with us and gave them out to our room steward and Dining Room wait staff the last night of the cruise. I personalized the notes to the three that I tipped and thought I was being generous in addition to what was being already charged. I just worry that I don't want to appear cheap or over zelous! LOL So here goes what is your personal policy and what have you left as a gratuity? As a bonus our Cabin Steward not only got a nice tip he also received the 2 bottles of very nice wine that I did not get to drink while out to sea.

Tipping is up to the individual. Each person has tomdecide who and what to give depending on their own standards. What one person does has no bearing on what another one does. Tip how you feel comfrtable with and do not worry over it.

Agree- there's no need to even consider that you might look either "cheap or overzealous" -- it's not a contest and no one knows what your decision is. Do what you are comfortable with, be sure to remember to recognize good service on the post-cruise survey, and enjoy your cruising.

I have read a lot about this and know that there are a lot of opinions about this. But I am trying to find out some real information. I realize that they add gratuities to your bill on a daily basis. And to be honest I do not have a problem with that. However when we sailed in January 3 on the Regal I made sure that we took Thank you notes with us and gave them out to our room steward and Dining Room wait staff the last night of the cruise. I personalized the notes to the three that I tipped and thought I was being generous in addition to what was being already charged. I just worry that I don't want to appear cheap or over zelous! LOL So here goes what is your personal policy and what have you left as a gratuity? As a bonus our Cabin Steward not only got a nice tip he also received the 2 bottles of very nice wine that I did not get to drink while out to sea.

Princess already figured it all out for you and that's what's expected no more. I don't need to second guess them. I leave my auto tips intact and I'm done and paid the right amount.

These are employees, not your friends that did you a favor to warrant thank you notes. Treating everyone with respect and good manners is sufficient. Do you bring thank you notes to restaurants and hotels on land.

I do say thank you to those that serve me.

Edited by cruzsnooze

You probably won't get a lot of concrete answers in terms of dollar amounts. It's just too personal. It will depend upon how many special requests you made and the response you received. Additionally, some will be reluctant to give specific amounts since it is likely that someone, somewhere, somehow, will find something to criticize in those amounts.

Since I'm not at all concerned about what others think: As a general rule of thumb, leaving the standard tips in place, I would consider an extra amount equal to the standard amount for your cabin as an upper limit for truly excellent service. For a seven day cruise for two people $12.95x2x7=~$180. That would be an upper limit for truly excellent service. For your general average service, maybe half of that. How you distribute that is up to you and will depend upon service and your requests. Remember bar staff aren't included in the tip pool and a 15% gratuity is added to all beverage purchases. I still tip about a dollar a drink. Room service? Usually two or three dollars.

Edited by RocketMan275

I always leave a few extra dollars for the steward and maybe anyone else that offered over the top service. But most of the time it is just the steward.

However, after the tip, I have found what the staff really likes are those little cards you fill out at the end of the cruise praising specific staff members.

On a cruise to Alaska my grandson was with the Penguins. They did a great job so I gave them a very healthy tip. They were appreciative of the tip but they made a big deal about filling in those cards with they names!

For me, it all depends on the level of service and whether anything special/extra was requested. I usually tip extra but not always.

On our Pacific Princess 14-day cruise in December, our waiter kept forgetting orders, brought the wrong thing, etc. For instance, he would forget to bring soup or an appetizer. One night, my sister ordered the hamburger on the menu. Each night, the hamburger on the Always Available menu comes with something different. That night, it was onion rings. Our waiter brought her a plain hamburger with nothing else on the plate. The woman sitting next to her said, "Where are the onion rings?" So, my sister called the waiter over to ask for what she'd ordered. Our Table Captain had been watching the waiter due to all the issues and asked him what the problem was. In full voice that everyone could hear, he said, "If that woman hadn't interfered, there wouldn't be a problem." Next thing we knew, we had a bottle of champagne for the table. We wound up getting two bottles during the 14-day cruise thanks to the waiter. I tipped him $5 because we had asked for entree modifications and tipped the Assistant waiter $20.

I felt once that the room service guy expected a tip from his body language when he bought it at 6am for us. But at the time I felt that since we were already paying $13.95 gratuities, there was no point in tipping extra. Doesnt mean I didn't feel bad about not tipping but I was confused at the time on what was right thing to do.:confused:

As to the wine, many of the crew members do not drink, so a bottle of wine is of minimal value to them.

Plus the fact that they get their drinks in the crew bar at discounted prices. We use to give our little liquor bottles to the steward before the coffee cards came about & they could hardly care one way of the other about them.

The amount charged daily is sufficient, unless one of your assigned crew goes "above and beyond"...you'll know if that happens. You're supposed to get great service! That's what the auto-tip is for!

If a waiter or cabin attendant does something that isn't part of their daily routine, then a bit extra is in order....I'd do $10-20 for a week.....depending on what the "extra" thing they did was worth to me!

I always leave the auto tip intact. I generally tip the steward 25 to 40 bucks, the waiter and assistant 40 bucks each, if the head waiter has done anything for me I tip him 10 bucks. My grandson enjoyed the kiddie programs so I tipped them 50 bucks. I generally tip a buck extra on a bar order. Once a husband and wife wait team was incredibly attentive to my 2 year old grandson and I tipped them a hundred bucks. The above tips reflect a one week cruise. Each to their own, but this is what I do.

As to the wine, many of the crew members do not drink, so a bottle of wine is of minimal value to them.

It is better to recognize them by completing the consummate host form (and in my mind if someone rates that form they deserve an additional tip with it :D) and mentioning them by name on the post cruise survey. That information influences their reviews, future jobs, etc.

I'm not sure your conclusion is true. Even if a crew member does not drink, I'll bet that a full bottle of wine has barter value on the crew quarters level.

To the OP. I think you can conclude from the variety of answers that this is a completely personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.

For what it's worth, I do tip room stewards, room service deliverers,restaurant servers and headwaiters. I have left unfinished bottles of wine "for the staff" in the restaurants. (Without exception, I have received a big smile and "Thank you" for doing that.) I also make a point of completing the "Consumate Host" cards for truly exceptional performance. Finally, I do say "Thank you," to people, even when they are just doing their job.