Big ships make me nervous

beckzay

Is it weird that I don't want to take my kids on mega-ship for their first cruise? Am I overthinking this and just being stupid? While the Vista is incredibly tempting, I'm thinking that their first experience should be on something smaller. They are all older anyway (23 and 16 at time of sailing) but I would really love them to love it and cruising in general.

I'm not tied down to any line, but my husband and I have sailed Carnival several times and really like the experience and openness of the deck spaces. NCL's Breakaway is priced right and leaves out of NYC, the Anthem also leaves out of NJ and the Pride leaves out of Baltimore. We're trying to save money and not fly since it's during spring break and around $500 pp to fly to florida (or galveston, NOLA, etc.). Sorry, I know I'm rambling but it helps me organize my thoughts so i can get opinions from you all.

Do you think the Pride is a good choice for our family? The "kids" are active and will definitely utilize the water slides and mini golf, but do you think that there is enough to do? The Breakaway's outdoor sports decks looks amazing but I'm just so worried about the super crowded and enclosed looking deck space areas. My dream cruise would be on the Breeze because it looks like the best of both worlds but it's out for this sailing since we'll be cruising during the peak of air fare prices.

Has anyone sailed both the Pride and the Breakaway with teens/young adults? Which did they prefer?

Is it weird that I don't want to take my kids on mega-ship for their first cruise? Am I overthinking this and just being stupid? While the Vista is incredibly tempting, I'm thinking that their first experience should be on something smaller. They are all older anyway (23 and 16 at time of sailing) but I would really love them to love it and cruising in general.

I'm not tied down to any line, but my husband and I have sailed Carnival several times and really like the experience and openness of the deck spaces. NCL's Breakaway is priced right and leaves out of NYC, the Anthem also leaves out of NJ and the Pride leaves out of Baltimore. We're trying to save money and not fly since it's during spring break and around $500 pp to fly to florida (or galveston, NOLA, etc.). Sorry, I know I'm rambling but it helps me organize my thoughts so i can get opinions from you all.

Do you think the Pride is a good choice for our family? The "kids" are active and will definitely utilize the water slides and mini golf, but do you think that there is enough to do? The Breakaway's outdoor sports decks looks amazing but I'm just so worried about the super crowded and enclosed looking deck space areas. My dream cruise would be on the Breeze because it looks like the best of both worlds but it's out for this sailing since we'll be cruising during the peak of air fare prices.

Has anyone sailed both the Pride and the Breakaway with teens/young adults? Which did they prefer?

One thing you might want to do is compare the on board amenities on both ships, and see which might be closer to what you're looking for. Also, go on YouTube and look for videos of each. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what's a video worth?

These young adults are not kids. Why not ask them which ship they would prefer. They will not be "hanging" around with you very much. Let them decide what they want out of their vacation.

We have :) They have no idea what to expect so they said any cruise would be awesome. I'm just trying to give them the best first experience, lol.

Edited by beckzay

I booked a cruise on RCCL's Independence of the Seas specifically for the activities for my older teens. (climbing wall, surfing, mini golf, etc)

The ONLY thing that they did was ... go ice skating! Seriously, we're from Canada. They ice skate all of the time.

I had looked at booking the Oasis Class ship (RCCL) because of the zipline ... I'm glad that I didn't. I have heard that it's just line up after line up because there are SO many people on the ship.

That's just my take on it ... we're doing a Carnival cruise this spring break. I booked it solely on price and dates. (there are 19 of us going and we all have different spring breaks).

What about what you like?

For me, it is Dream Class or nothing...and I am paying...so my choice!

We've sailed Pride and two of her sister ships, Miracle and Legend. She'll be fine for your 23 yo but I think your 16 yo will be bored. There are not the same types of activities for teens as on bigger Carnival ships.

The entire aft (back) of Pride is Serenity so it's only for 21+ Your teen would not be allowed to go there. Pride does have the Movie Under the Stars screen.

Don't discount a big ship. Vista is going to be awesome. I was fortunate to go to Take in the Vista weekend in NYC in January 2015. I got to play on the Skyrider. I sampled all the wonderful food Vista will serve. She'll have so many activities.

Anthem of the Seas and Breakaway are both much bigger ships so they'll have more activities.

BTW, we're in NH also. :D

When I hear "mega-ships" I don't even think of Carnival. I think of RCCL's Anthem, Oasis, and Allure of the Seas.

Size wise, Carnival's biggest ship doesn't even measure up. But that's exactly what I love about them. I too am a bit iffy about the mega-ships which is why the newest RCCL ships I've done were the Freedom Class ships.

I love the Breeze (Carnival's Dream Class) and the Liberty (Carnival's Conquest Class). The Liberty is smaller than the Breeze but both I believe are the best of each class so far. When Vista comes out, I have a feeling it will be in my top three Carnival ships.

I usually stick to Conquest Class ships and newer. The older ships don't really do it for me. Plus, I like the layout.

I went on the Paradise with my bf for his 1st cruise and out of 20 cruises (at the time) that was the 1st time ever that I got sea sick. Which for me, is another reason to stay away from older ships.

As a person in her 20s and as a person who cruised a lot during her teens, I would say the Pride is a decent ship. But I think your "kids" would really like the Breeze. Newest (until Vista) ship and has all the bells and whistles (Guy's, Red Frog Pub, Blue Iguana, 3D Theater, ropes course, water park, etc), to really get them into cruising. It's not considered a mega-ship but it is their biggest. It doesn't give you an overwhelming feeling and yet still has so much to offer.

Edited by 17andacruiseaddict

Thanks everyone! That's why I love this board so much...you can get first-hand, honest advice :)

If the Pride was significantly less expensive I think I would book that, but it's pretty comparable to the Breakaway. Itinerary doesn't really matter much, because either one would be awesome for us and the "kids" (Bermuda or E.Caribbean)

Looking a little further into it, the Vista for our desired time frame is pretty cheap! I'll have to consider that sailing now too....

Thanks again for all your advice!!!

Edited by beckzay

Thanks everyone! That's why I love this board so much...you can get first-hand, honest advice :)

If the Pride was significantly less expensive I think I would book that, but it's pretty comparable to the Breakaway. Itinerary doesn't really matter much, because either one would be awesome for us and the "kids" (Bermuda or E.Caribbean)

Looking a little further into it, the Vista for our desired time frame is pretty cheap! I'll have to consider that sailing now too....

Thanks again for all your advice!!!

Just my 2 cents .... For a great 1st cruise with the "kids" I'd choose E. Caribbean over Bermuda in a heartbeat. :) While we thought Bermuda was very pretty there really aren't many things about it that would excite your "kids". I think they'd much rather experience the different arrivals and sail-aways in the E. Caribbean as well as the greater variety of things to see and do ashore.

Just my 2 cents .... For a great 1st cruise with the "kids" I'd choose E. Caribbean over Bermuda in a heartbeat. :) While we thought Bermuda was very pretty there really aren't many things about it that would excite your "kids". I think they'd much rather experience the different arrivals and sail-aways in the E. Caribbean as well as the greater variety of things to see and do ashore.

VERY good point!

Honestly, the only time ship size is noticed by me is on the sub 700' ships.

Those feel like glorified tenders and that I'm going to need to man the oars to reach cruising speed. Well, maybe not that bad but they're not the first choice unless there is no other choice.

Big ships only feel crowded to me by elevators nearest the theater after a show IMO.

You'll have a great time no matter which you pick!

The bigger ships will have more to offer for those age groups. Should be fun either way.

We were fortunate enough to be able to take our kids on several cruises when they were in the age range as the op's children.

Each cruise was on a different ship class and were all different sizes.

They really never said a word about the sizes of the ships or about being bored.

They loved dressing up for dinner, taking funny photos of each other all around the ship, going to the gym, doing the sauna, ordering room service, reading books that were not text books and playing basketball and mini-golf.

Well, basically there are a lot of things to do that they did not do in their regular lives at home.

The best experience for me ever was on the Allure Royal Caribbean. With the outdoor aquatheater you can watch the water shows which were amazing, walk on the boardwalk and walk through central Park with all the live trees. There's also ziplinig, miniature golf and choice of eating places for free. I never found it to be crowded and for the shows you reserve them in advance online. Also the promenade with the parades and all the little pubs.