New Coffee Cards

cruzsnooze

I have 3 unused cards. I may get another set on my March 3rd cruise.

I talked to a Princess rep this morning about a number of things and asked about the phase out of the coffee cards. She said it is so but mostly in Australia right now. She also said it will be phased in over time everywhere. She didn't have specifics about time and how it will work in the future. I didn't push it any further. I guess this is confirmation that it will happen.

Sounds like they could end up with a lot of unhappy Elite's who don't drink and who normally trade in their minibar for coffee cards.

Hopefully Princess is thoroughly researching all aspects of the pending change to the coffee card system to fairly treat those with existing coffee cards.

It's just a guess but I'd think they'd grandfather the current procedure to use card punches with a new system included in our cruise cards. Maybe like others have posted the new system will be like other drink packages & only be valid on the cruise where it's purchased. Unless they ran out of the brown coffee cards, I don't see why they would create a new card stating the same conditions if the program is going to change by the end of this year.

I don't know if Princess has even finalized how it will work & for now we can only speculate about the new coffee program until they tell us how it will work.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Sounds like they could end up with a lot of unhappy Elite's who don't drink and who normally trade in their minibar for coffee cards.

There is the option to get a bottle of wine or trade the bottles in the bar for other drinks or waters.

Maybe we'll see the mini bars for sale online or to others on a roll call LOL :D

They're worth about $60 IIRC.

Hopefully Princess is thoroughly researching all aspects of the pending change to the coffee card system to fairly treat those with existing rk.

That would be nice but that's not how they've done things in the last couple of years. They blow up something or slap on a new charge with no warning and then try to contain the damage afterward. I have an Aus cruise in two weeks. We will see how this plays out.

There is the option to get a bottle of wine or trade the bottles in the bar for other drinks or waters.

Maybe we'll see the mini bars for sale online or to others on a roll call LOL :D

They're worth about $60 IIRC.

I think the value is a fair but more than $60 even if you mean US Each mineature sells at about $6.95 and the beer and water without the sodas will add a fair but to it I think the perk is great value and worth far more than 2 coffee cards (to me ) or a single bottle of wine

I just spoke with a Princess Rep. She contacted Customer Service. They say there is no change to the Coffee Card system. If you purchased the card on or for that voyage, then fresh brewed coffee using that card is good for that cruise. The punches do not expire. They were unaware of any other change with the exception of the color/design of the card.:)

I just spoke with a Princess Rep. She contacted Customer Service. They say there is no change to the Coffee Card system. If you purchased the card on or for that voyage, then fresh brewed coffee using that card is good for that cruise. The punches do not expire. They were unaware of any other change with the exception of the color/design of the card.:)

Employees r always the last to know.....;):D

Actually, we used new cards the brown ones on our last sailing, they made sure to write the ship and sail # on them. My F had a ratty old one already punched from a few years back, they wrote the ship and date on hers as well and said brewed would use a punch.

Edited by land lover

I love the mini bar as well, I feel the options we have to make changes r most generous. However, I can see princess deciding only suites will get this perk and give elite a simple OBC...all the time that is spend changing out our bars.....of course I have been thinking this for a long time and it has yet to happen....

Can anyone report on how durable the new cards are? My old cards were made of a stiff paper almost like thin card board. And, by the end of a long cruise would be ragged at both ends from being carried in my wallet with the ends sticking out.

If Princess makes the new cards out of 20 weight paper or something similar they probably will not last very long.

Bob

I love the mini bar as well, I feel the options we have to make changes r most generous. However, I can see princess deciding only suites will get this perk and give elite a simple OBC...all the time that is spend changing out our bars.....of course I have been thinking this for a long time and it has yet to happen....

DO NOT GIVE THEM IDEAS yes I meant to shout:mad:

Edited by windsor26

Why would you say it is impossible? It would be a VERY simple transaction. You buy the "card", they enter it in the computer. Done.

So OF COURSE they would sell the packages after you board.

What computers? They sell the coffee and soda packages on tables outside the buffet and in certain areas of high traffic around the ship. If it means going to guest services to get it added to the seacard then there will be long lines and other problems. When you get a sticker when buying a drink package you get to have a drink right away. If it's done without a computer but added later you miss out until it's loaded onto your card.

The system is fine the way it is for the coffee cards. They changed the pattern, probably to flush out the old cards.

Can anyone report on how durable the new cards are? My old cards were made of a stiff paper almost like thin card board. And, by the end of a long cruise would be ragged at both ends from being carried in my wallet with the ends sticking out.

If Princess makes the new cards out of 20 weight paper or something similar they probably will not last very long.

Bob

I would say it is the same as weight the old card.

I have 2 questions:

1) What teas are considered "premium teas?" And what teas are not premium?

Not premium: Lipton. And whatever you find at the buffet.

2) When getting a latte, do they punch an extra punch if you order an extra shot of espresso?

I get Americano; double shot. Never an extra punch.

Edited by Pia1913

I've been told that their foo foo coffee drinks already contain a double shot. Don't know if it's true or not. Read it here on CC so it may or may not be reliable. :)

I do know that I once asked for a double shot in whatever coffee drink it was I was ordering and they only did a single punch on the card.

What computers? They sell the coffee and soda packages on tables outside the buffet and in certain areas of high traffic around the ship. If it means going to guest services to get it added to the seacard then there will be long lines and other problems. When you get a sticker when buying a drink package you get to have a drink right away. If it's done without a computer but added later you miss out until it's loaded onto your card.

The system is fine the way it is for the coffee cards. They changed the pattern, probably to flush out the old cards.

Actually, they now have these little things called "tablets" that connect to the ship's computer wirelessly. I saw them being used by some of the crew on the Royal Princess recently. (Gosh, even this old coot has one!;)) THAT is what I meant about putting it into the computer. You certainly would not have to go to guest services. Do it with the same tables they now use.

Actually, they now have these little things called "tablets" that connect to the ship's computer wirelessly. I saw them being used by some of the crew on the Royal Princess recently. (Gosh, even this old coot has one!;)) THAT is what I meant about putting it into the computer. You certainly would not have to go to guest services. Do it with the same tables they now use.

Saw the tablets being used on the Coral in December. If you ordered a drink in the Princess theatre, it was entered in the tablet by the server and then another server from the bar delivered it.

Yes...some people still think that everything has to be wired but there's this "new" thing called Wi-Fi to simply do such things. :p

They've already cut the wire by having wireless devices for scanning cruise cards when getting on & off the ship.

Saw the tablets being used on the Coral in December. If you ordered a drink in the Princess theatre, it was entered in the tablet by the server and then another server from the bar delivered it.

I've seen that on other ships also so it shouldn't be too difficult to extend that system to be able to use our cruise cards to purchase a drink package without using paperwork or going to the PSD.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes...some people still think that everything has to be wired but there's this "new" thing called Wi-Fi to simply do such things. :p

I'm still behind the times when it comes to technology. It's good to know some of you are caught up and help out old timers like me.

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct. Princess does enter into the computer that you purchased a coffee card.

Otherwise, how would the charge be listed on your shipboard account? You ask to purchase a coffee card. The Princess salesperson fills out a form. You sign the form. The form is turned into accounting. Accounting key punches your purchase into their computer.