Cozumel Jewelers rip off Beware

charmy98

:mad:A word of warning, if you are shopping in the port shops of Cozumel DO NOT purchase anything of value from a Store called Silver Traditions. My Husband and I just came home from a cruise with the Allure and the supposedly 14KT gold, diamond and sapphire earrings that they wanted $1200 USD for (we paid $700) are worthless, I took them to our jeweler at home this morning and the stones are glass, not even a good quality cubic zirconia and the gold is not gold. They are now in the garbage and we are left paying off nearly $900 CAD because of the exchange rate. Please don't get caught like I was.

Unfortunately I think I was caught up in the Birthday moment. Definitely learnt my lesson. I or we will NEVER purchase jewelry overseas again. As far as doing research first it's a bit hard if you have no idea of the Store name before you go :)

Thanks, I was devastated this morning especially since they were supposed to be a 60th Birthday present. I don't even want to look at them now. Never again! How do these people sleep at night.

Very soundly. They prey on vacationers. What are the chances of returning to the "scene of the crime?" Practically zilch. It would cost more to fly/cruise back to the country/Island to return the item and they KNOW that. Mexico? I would never buy anything other than maybe a little trinket or souvenir. (even those are mostly made in China).

Again..I am really sorry this happened to you. Try and forget about it. :(

Tried to tell my MIL not to buy the "Tanzanite" ring she picked out in Cozumel and paid $400 after dickering. Tried to appeal to common sense, the same exact setting/ring in every shop in the port shops....how could it be real Tanzanite? But she bought it anyway. Then she had it appraised to prove that she was right......not so much! Just junk.

I have had Mexican jewelry shops hit on me, but I always tell them, I can get better stones on QVC and HSN for a fraction of their price. And my appraisals always pan out on them.

Only buy costume jewelry in Mexico.

Edited by BecciBoo

I am very sorry this happened to you.

If you had paid by credit card, would the credit people have helped you out? I have never had to make any claim so I don't know if people are protected when out of the country.

Thank you for sharing.

Possibly, it is fraud and you may have protection. You'd do best to contact the bank and present the case. You would need proof that it was counterfeit and you would not want to discard the item as they might want it.

Sorry, I just wanted to say one more thing. OP, this subject has not come up in a while. Look at it this way, you may have saved some new cruisers from making the same innocent mistake you did. For this, I thank you and I know YOU will be able to sleep at night. :)

The credit card question is a good one. If purchased with a VISA or MC you might be able to dispute the charge. Don't throw it out.

Sorry it happened.

Found this with a quick search: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k8419894-Silver_Traditions_in_Cozumel-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Don't know if they'd be of any help, but if nothing else you might be able to report the store here: http://www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm

Edited by bouhunter

People should always check out the store on line before buying. If already there just take a moment to check it out on your phone. From last year

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k8419894-Silver_Traditions_in_Cozumel-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Bouhunter already posted

Edited by setsail

The same thing happened to us in Cozumel! $400 down the drain for jewelry that wasn't good enough for a Cracker Jackson box prize. OP, you have my sympathies. It's an expensive less to learn.

Btw, no such problems buying good jewelry in Greece, which is perhaps why I let my guard down and expected Cozumel to be the same. Not!!

People should always check out the store on line before buying. If already there just take a moment to check it out on your phone. From last year

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k8419894-Silver_Traditions_in_Cozumel-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Bouhunter already posted

Agree. It's a bummer we have to go through life with the old adage "buyer beware' or "if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't".

There are SOME reputable places in the Caribbean, you just have to know where to look, and what to look at. And also understand, that you ARE NOT getting a good deal like they say you are. You can almost always buy the same thing in the states for less. Only exception can be brands that are price protected (watches, pandora...) where buying in the Caribbean will save you taxes. Buy something because you like it, not as an investment!

I am very sorry this happened to you.

If you had paid by credit card, would the credit people have helped you out? I have never had to make any claim so I don't know if people are protected when out of the country.

Thank you for sharing.

I tried with American Express, they said I would be insured if the item was damaged but not for fraud. I don't get that one. You would think fraud would be at the top of the list. So I just have to live with a mistake that will never be repeated. BUT if I can get the word out to as many people as I can about Silver Traditions I might save someone else some heart ache.

By all means, you can turn this into your credit card company if you paid that way. We don't buy much of anything that has value on a cruise (although my husband is a fool for Cruise Line watches - I think he has one from each and every cruise we've taken.) Your credit card company or possibly even your homeowner's policy (under fraud) should be able to help you.

We had an issue with a camera one time - it was on St. Martin, I think. At any rate, it did not do what they said it would and we used Visa to return it after they told us that they would not take it back. They changed their tune with Visa. If they give Visa/MC/etc. a hard time, they will simply refuse the payment, so don't toss them out!

So sorry this happened to you.

Years ago, we could get beautiful, appraisal verified, gemstones in gold settings for good prices. Those days are long gone. If the price is too good to be true,,,,, well, you know the rest of that saying.

There are some good deals to be found in Mexico on jewelry but you do not to know what you are looking for and be sure to buy from a store that is recommended by the cruise line. Even if you do not know about jewelry, act like you know. Use a loop to examine the item. Look carefully at the stones. Natural stones will have some inclusions and carbon spots. If it is a diamond have them probe it but you may want to test their probe on a ring you know is not real. If you find a piece that you like walk away and go get on the internet and compare prices. If you think you want to buy go back and make an offer of what you want to pay and again be prepared to walk away.