Felt MEH about the platinum/elite happy hour

pcur

We just got off the Ruby last Thursday after a b2b Hawaii and Mexico. On the second leg we reached Platinum level, and I was very impressed with how immediate the status change was.

The happy hour in Skywalker's was a nice venue. The $5 drink menu had good choices. The appetizers were fine, but nothing outstanding. I do like RCCL's hot foods they add to the offerings. The one night I was definitely not impressed with the Ruby's was when they put out a HUGE loaf of steak tartar. The raw meat sitting there for several hours looked pretty yucky.

My biggest problem was my drinks seemed watery. I wasn't the only person having this issue. I overheard at least two other people asking that the shaker for the martini drinks be wiped out after they rinsed it between drinks, because their cosmo, or Rob Roy, or martini tasted watery. I made the same request, but I never got a drink that tasted full strength. I drink mostly manhattans, so the $5 Rob Roy was my choice.

We finally stopped going after about 5 nights, and went to the Wheelhouse instead. Their Rob Roys and Manhattans were fabulous! Same drink; different bars; not the same drink. I was suspicious that because the drinks for the Platinum/Elite happy hour were reduced price, they watered the booze?????

Interesting. They must have made a staff change in the bar. We always found it to be the other way around. Drinks there were better than in the other bars.

The steak tartar night is one night we just skip.

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

That is unusual. I order scotch rocks so never an issue for me, but my friend usually gets the special and she has had to request more mix numerous times to dilute the strength. Perhaps it was just a particular bartender stationed there. Not a fleetwide policy I'm sure.

We went several times on our recent Emerald cruise, all the drink specials were $5 every night. Don't know if my Cosmos were watered down but appeared to be in smaller glasses (never did have one in another bar to compare), but it was just fine for a before-dinner drink. We enjoyed the view from Skywalkers -- and the olives :)

On the Emerald they had a great spread that was serve yourself. On the Royal they had someone behind the table serving you, giving you 3 shrimp at a time. Made me self conscious going up 12 times for more shrimp as when I asked for more shrimp on the first go around I got 2 more. Much prefer the less shaming from the Emeralds setup vs the Royal. [emoji6]

We had an issue with service in the PES Lounge on the Emerald Princess. I would order a drink exactly at 5pm and it would take 20-25 minutes to be delivered. After carrying the drink down to our 5:30pm dinner a few times, I simply stopped ordering anything to drink up there.

I have found the PES drinks to be watered down for several years. A watered down $5 drink is not much of a perk.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

When the selection was limited to only one particular cocktail, we lost interest. Many of the drinks are too fruity or sugary mixes. Yuk. The only reason we would go up there again would be to meet with some friends. Free food is all over the ship. I see no reason to go there just for the appetizers however a cocktail on an empty stomach isn't ideal.

Are most of the ships offering a menu of drinks up there now? I might find that a small incentive to give it a try again.

We will have the beverage package on our upcoming cruise (from the Sip and Sail promotion.) Will we be able to order any drink and run it through the package, or do they just offer the drink specials??

We will have the beverage package on our upcoming cruise (from the Sip and Sail promotion.) Will we be able to order any drink and run it through the package, or do they just offer the drink specials??

You would be able to order any drink your little heart desires. I usually get a bottle of wine and they keep pouring every day. That's my plan and it works for me :)

Yes, your "liquor sticker" (AIBP) works fine there. It's a full service bar and you can order whatever you wish. The same as you would in any other bar. :D

LuLu

Not a happy hour.

Its getting way too crowded and some ships will only allow the featured drink to be purchased for $5. Its really no deal. :(

Love the steak tartar.

Exactly why I stopped going several cruises ago. Another reason is the apparent wattered down drinks....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

We go to enjoy the view from Skywalkers. Its the best place view on the ship to sit and relax looking out as the sun sets. Not a fan of the special drinks or the food. If we go we just pick a nice table and have a drink. I agree it is too crowded sometimes. The best time to be there is just before they close, most people have left for dinner. On a 7 day we will go maybe twice.

We just got off the Ruby last Thursday after a b2b Hawaii and Mexico. On the second leg we reached Platinum level, and I was very impressed with how immediate the status change was.

The happy hour in Skywalker's was a nice venue. The $5 drink menu had good choices. The appetizers were fine, but nothing outstanding. I do like RCCL's hot foods they add to the offerings. The one night I was definitely not impressed with the Ruby's was when they put out a HUGE loaf of steak tartar. The raw meat sitting there for several hours looked pretty yucky.

=============================================

We are platinum and will be on the ruby on the 24th, but have never heard about this happy hour thing, where is it publicized? Is it a daily event?

We've attended for the past several cruises. Haven't seen it publicized, but had a little invitation in our stateroom when we boarded. It listed what the drink special and appetizer would be for each day. Have never been when Skywalkers was crowded at all. Maybe it depends on the ship and/or cruise - ??

We've attended for the past several cruises. Haven't seen it publicized, but had a little invitation in our stateroom when we boarded. It listed what the drink special and appetizer would be for each day. Have never been when Skywalkers was crowded at all. Maybe it depends on the ship and/or cruise - ??

Its not a happy hour and it would not be advertised anywhere except by invitation. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We are platinum and will be on the ruby on the 24th, but have never heard about this happy hour thing, where is it publicized? Is it a daily event?

There should be a card in your stateroom inviting you to the venue and listing each day's drink special and food selection. If you do not find it in your cabin when you embark you should see the Circle host to make sure your are listed as Platinum so that any other relevant items are delivered to your cabin.

And by all means ignore the naysayers on this thread and check it out. Yes it will be less busy after 6:00 when those with early fixed seating dinner have left. But even when going early we have always been promptly served our drinks, and only on one cruise was there an issue with the food being consumed faster than it could be replenished (which was due members of a single family repeatedly clearing out the table). Rereading the OP's post it seems there were initially very satisfied with the event but later in the cruise simply decided they preferred to go to a different venue at that hour as the bartender there was more to their liking. Hardly justification for a "MEH" :(

Edited by fishywood

There should be a card in your stateroom inviting you to the venue and listing each day's drink special and food selection. If you do not find it in your cabin when you embark you should see the Circle host to make sure your are listed as Platinum so that any other relevant items are delivered to your cabin.

And by all means ignore the naysayers on this thread and check it out. Yes it will be less busy after 6:00 when those with early fixed seating dinner have left. But even when going early we have always been promptly served our drinks, and only on one cruise was there an issue with the food being consumed faster than it could be replenished (which was due members of a single family repeatedly clearing out the table). Rereading the OP's post it seems there were initially very satisfied with the event but later in the cruise simply decided they preferred to go to a different venue at that hour as the bartender there was more to their liking. Hardly justification for a "MEH" :(

Well, I'm the OP and I guess I will reserve the right to my own opinion of my own MEH opinion.....:D:D

It's also a matter of previous experiences. We are long time RCCL cruisers, and are accustomed to the 3-hour, FREE happy hour, a broader choices of drinks, and hot and cold appetizers, PLUS 3 free drinks loaded to our cards so we can go to the other bars during that time.

To Ottmar: now that you know, just show up between 5-7:00. They will tell you the standard $5 drink menu, and the food it there the whole time.

Our first night was a mob scene. Since we like to read up in Skywalker's in the afternoon, we just stayed until happy hour.

It was after hearing other people also complain about the watery taste in their drinks, that I asked if we could go to the Wheelhouse bar.

Just off The Ocean for 23 days. Never went once. Dont care for the drinks offered

That's what we discovered as well. We usually go to happy hour in the Wheelhouse, buy 1 get the next for $1. They aren't watered down at all. We drink wine and we ordered 2 glasses each and they just brought us the bottle. We ordered 4 more and took the unopened bottle to our room to have the next evening. Only snacks were a small carafe of rice crackers.