Port side or Starboard? Which do you prefer and why?

We have always booked starboard. No specific reason either just makes it easier to find cabin because we're always used to it being in that general area. Some people will say certain sides are better because in some ports you back in but I've never seen a bad view on a cruise [emoji1]. But there's no telling which way they will dock and sunrise and sunsets are switched for return voyage home

In all honesty I could care less. The only time I cared was on my 1-way Alaskan cruise. I wanted to be on the side of the ship that faced land. It was easy to figure out when you look at a map and the direction the ship sails!

Port/Starboard does not determine how the ship pulls in to each port. We've pulled in forward and backward in all kinds of ports. There is no guarantee!

In a tranoceanic, I usually want the sunny side -- otherwise it doesn't matter to me. In the mid-high Northern hemisphere, the sunny side is the one with Southbound exposure, but closer to the equator it doesn't matter as much.

Edited by calliopecruiser

Mid deck, mid ship.

Slight leaning to Port.

I love watching the Opera Hose as I sail back into Sydney Harbour, early in the morning, on that dreaded last day. just makes it a touch easier to know I have to disembark.

If you're doing a coastal cruise (an Alaska or Med cruise comes to mind) one side of your ship will see mostly ocean and the other side will see mostly coast so check the course and direction your ship will be traveling and choose the side you'd most prefer based on what you'd like to see from your cabin. Those booking an inside cabin don't have to deal with the side of the ship problem and will only see where they are going by looking at the ships bridge cam available on their in cabin TV.

Back in the day of transatlantic liners the word bantered about by the well healed passenger was 'posh'. It was an anachronism for Port Out Starboard Home. There are varying definitions of what Posh truly stood for but that's another post .

If you're doing a coastal cruise (an Alaska or Med cruise comes to mind) one side of your ship will see mostly ocean and the other side will see mostly coast so check the course and direction your ship will be traveling and choose the side you'd most prefer based on what you'd like to see from your cabin. Those booking an inside cabin don't have to deal with the side of the ship problem and will only see where they are going by looking at the ships bridge cam available on their in cabin TV.

Back in the day of transatlantic liners the word bantered about by the well healed passenger was 'posh'. It was an anachronism for Port Out Starboard Home. There are varying definitions of what Posh truly stood for but that's another post .

Which direction on a transatlantic would POSH apply to?

Fair question. It's my understanding that POSH was coined by departing New York transatlantic passengers. That way their staterooms would always be facing North both when leaving NY and later when returning home from South Hampton. My guess would be that it would be a bit cooler and therefore more comfortable if your stateroom was facing north because black hulls absorbed sunlight and sent that heat into your stateroom. Keep in mind that back then you could actually open your port holes and get some much needed cooler fresh air into your stateroom. Every bit of cooling, be it summer or winter, helped because those liners didn't have refrigerated air conditioning yet.