Banquette versus Chair

nukesubsailor

I would be interested in seeing a poll of what people think of the banquette type seating in the dining venues on Princess ships. My wife and I don't find them comfortable at all compared to a chair. They give you no way to adjust how close you are to the table unless you move the table. They cause us to sit too low compared to the table especially since the older ones seem to be butt-sprung so you sink into the seat. They often are more difficult to get into or out of.

We always try to avoid sitting at a banquette table if we have an option but when you ask for a table for two, a banquette is what you get.

Does anyone out there dislike them like we do? Is there anyone who would prefer one to a table with chairs?

If you prefer not to be seated at a table with a banquette, make that known to restaurant personnel. I believe they would do whatever is necessary to make you happy.

Over the years we have been seated at a table for two along the front wall of the dining room which had two regular chairs. Although we didn't ask, the two of us have also been seated at a table for four.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I would be interested in seeing a poll of what people think of the banquette type seating in the dining venues on Princess ships. My wife and I don't find them comfortable at all compared to a chair. They give you no way to adjust how close you are to the table unless you move the table. They cause us to sit too low compared to the table especially since the older ones seem to be butt-sprung so you sink into the seat. They often are more difficult to get into or out of.

We always try to avoid sitting at a banquette table if we have an option but when you ask for a table for two, a banquette is what you get.

Does anyone out there dislike them like we do? Is there anyone who would prefer one to a table with chairs?

I'm with you. You sit lower than the table and it's very uncomfortable. We've had that table arrangement a few times and take turns every other night on who gets the nice chair!

At anytime dinning we can usually get a 4 seat for the 2 of us on the first night. If things work out we then will try for the same table every night we eat in the main dinning room. We usually only eat in the MDR about 2 or 3 nights on a 7 day cruise so if we don't get a 4 top its ok. Sometimes we make a reservation or just show up. We do prefer a table with chairs and a little more room then being crammed in beside another couple. The 2 seat bench is not enjoyable for dinner.

I have a sensitive butt. Often I use a pillow in land restaurants and I've never had a problem with the seats in the restaurants on board ships.

I always suspected that about you! LOL. :D It's been awhile since I was seated at a banquette, but now that you mention it, it is a problem when you can't adjust the space between yourself and the table without moving the table itself. At those long table for two banquettes, I find it difficult to slide into the seat given the very small distance between tables (and I'm really not all that big, honest!) I would prefer a regular chair every time, I think.

Never had a problem with the banquette seating.

What I do not appreciate is the closeness of many of the two top tables in the MDR.

We ask for a table for two for a reason,if we wanted to converse with others,we would ask for a table of six or more.

Neither my husband nor I like those banquette seats. They are not comfortable for either of us. They make you sit too low to the table and as stated before, you can't scoot close enough to the table. We always politely ask if we can have a different table with dining room chairs. We enjoy eating in the main dining rooms (breakfast, lunch when open, and dinner). You might as well be relaxed and comfortable to enjoy your meal.

I have no table preference at all.

When we go to just about any restaurant, Mrs. XBGuy will ask for a booth. That's what she likes. However, if that preference is not available, neither of us is willing to wait for one to open up. When we sit at one of those banquette tables, she will, generally, sit at on the bench and I will sit in the chair, which means I am the one that gets to "ride backwards"--NBD.

In our last few cruises we have not eaten in any of the dining rooms at all. I do recall that when we were on the Sapphire to Hawaii in 2011--our first Princess Cruise--we were seated in banquette in one of the dining rooms on two occasions, and, yes, they are really close. My recollection is that you actually share the table with one neighbor, although there is some sort of dvider to define territory. Also, it seemed that there was no more than six inches between our table and the other neighbor's. That six-inch recollected clearance estimate may be an exageration, but it was, in fact, difficult for someone to slide in or out without butt cheeks hanging over the table. Yes, conversation or a feeling of privacy was difficult. A I said, above, neither Mrs. XBGuy nor I like to wait to be seated. So, we prefer taking the banquette seating rather than wait for a deuce.

I specfically recall that in the Sabbatini's on the Crown--on which we will again be cruising in a few weeks--they have two-top tables and banquettes. On our last cruise, last October, we ate at Sabbatini's three times--twice at tables and once at a banquette. To be honest, I don't recall whether the banquettes there were terribly close because they spaced out the diners so that there was nobody seated next to us.

I always suspected that about you! LOL. :D It's been awhile since I was seated at a banquette, but now that you mention it, it is a problem when you can't adjust the space between yourself and the table without moving the table itself. At those long table for two banquettes, I find it difficult to slide into the seat given the very small distance between tables (and I'm really not all that big, honest!) I would prefer a regular chair every time, I think.

Back when I was considerably younger and much less fluffy, I could hold my breath and squeeze in between the tables, then flop down on the bench seat. Now, however, I probably couldn't get between the two tables, and I probably wouldn't be very comfortable, mentally, sitting on a dining chair facing the wall while eating.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with all your points against banquettes (low seating, springs poking my butt, need to move the table). The only good point is the solid back may protect your from drafts in the dining room, but that can be handled by a nice jacket! Plus, in response to a veiled reference above: yes, they do remind me of a Diner, which is not a place I expect Fine Dining!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I love banquette seating - my DH and I fight over who gets the banquette, as we're both all torso all the time and it seats us at just the right height. I have threatened to install an banquette in our dining room.

Much prefer the banquette type seating personally. As I am vertically challenged with a relatively short P:K ratio (posterior to knee bend) I find the seats on the banquette to be generally shorter than that of the dining room chairs . In the dining room chairs I cannot sit far enough back to rest my back without my legs sticking out and find that by about halfway through the meal my back is quite uncomfortable. So much so that on our next cruise I plan on taking a small pillow with me when going to the dining room.

I would be interested in seeing a poll of what people think of the banquette type seating in the dining venues on Princess ships.

This is another option for the people who won't fit into chairs with arms.

I have always preferred a table and chair. My wife likes booths. A lot of places that we go have a booth bench on the wall and a regular chair on the other side of the table. My wife sits on the bench, adjusts the table, then I plop down in the chair and scoot up to the table.

Just ask for a change if you don't like what you get.

Last cruise most two tops had a bench one side a chair the other, worked fine for us, but as said ask if it's not for you.