Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

This has been talked about for a number of month that the CL would become the SL on the 1st May so comes as no great surprise, happy to let the suites have the CL because on the ships that I have been on it is on 10 deck and very small, DL tends to be much nicer will great views and a outside area for the warmer conditions.

Possible change to the tier levels and increase in required points this Royal has done this before no one losses their current level just need to sail more to get to the next level, lets hope that Royal has looked at and stop this inherit status system that they have, do the nights at sea to earn your status stop people riding on others coat tails.

It appears that some on here are still living in the early 1920's and that anyone that cruise in a inside cabin are second class citizens and possibly should not even be seen on the upper decks, have cruised in balcony and inside cabins to obtain my current status of D+ does this make me a second class citizen? I have often read on here that the upgrade fairy has call got upgrade from balcony to GS for $500 well have to say the upgrade fairy doesn't know the international code for the UK.

Someone mentioned reward points based on total dollars spent, I can see that as well. They've already done the nights at sea route.

People who say that D's should be happy with the drink vouchers and no lounge just assume all D's are drinkers.

My lady and I are chasing Diamond because we like the Lounge to enjoy snacks in and meet people, not drink...we barely drink. We do 830 dinner and like to go at 7ish to get a snack and talk to Suite Guests, D+ and P's.

We are trying to reach diamond so we can stop booking all GSs and book some JSs. Thats not to say we wont book GS (we are hitting Diamond next cruise and we have 3 GSs booked after to that) its just we want to have the option to book JS when GS is way too overpriced.

We had prepaid for 2 premium packages before we sailed on Serenade in Feb and we got a 40% refund of the $49 per day ($215 each for an 11 day sailing) arranged by the bar manager.

Great Thanks. I'll see if Enchantment is offering the 40% discount then hunt down the bar manager. :)

Not so terribly earth-shattering breaking news:

A friend who just boarded the Brilliance says that they have the reported drink package discounts for different levels of C&A.

yay...was it KATHY?

Edited by Rockfordcruiser

I do not know that much about Delta. However, a United Airlines Global Services member almost always gets better treatment than an occasional flyer paying to fly first class. If a flight is cancelled, the occasional flyers will have to wait on line at a counter to be rescheduled while the Global Services members will get first choice of the available options while being served drinks in a private lounge. When Global Services members get upgraded (which is usually whenever First Class is not sold out before the Global Services members make their reservations), the upgraded Global Services members will be offered first choice of entrees if it is a meal flight and the occasional flyers who paid full first class fare will have to choose from what is left.

It is all a matter of marketing. United knows that those Global Services members will probably be flying again very soon and the goal is to make sure that their next flights are on United. It would be good business for RCCL to think the same way. The big difference that makes it hard for cruise lines is that United can and will dump any Global Services member who reduces his or her frequency of flying. Cruise lines have promised to make elite status's permanent and that promise is forcing them to cut benefits for everyone.

But don't you have to be booked in a certain category to be eligible for upgrades (non-restricted types of fares which are very expensive relative to the cheapest restricted fares). Also, I would imagine most if not nearly all members in the highest airline tiers travel for work and this also usually means they book much more expensive fares (last minute types of prices). So this is why business travelers are the money makers for the airlines. They pay more to fly on average (a lot more) then people who travel for leisure. So these people do get great perks to stay as loyal as possible to the airline because they are profit makers for the companies.

If we stick with the analogy D or D+ etc. could be someone who has say 10 to 25 cruises (compared to people that fly 100-200 flights a year) and did them at bargain prices. With the RCI system they are then locked in for life with best in the biz benefits and almost by definition are incentivized to spend less and/or receive more bargains. This doesn't make RCI money. But a business traveler almost always makes the airlines money so it is worth it for them to spoil them a bit as there are often choices. Moreover, when a frequent flyer is in coach I don't think they get the same treatment as first class. The don't get drinks before take off, or free booze in general as far as I know, etc. But on RCI, D+ got pretty much the same benefits as suite guests on board (other than the bigger cabin), or at least until the upcoming changes. With airlines, status has to pretty much be renewed each year which requires tons of travel. With RCI it is lifelong.

So pretty much the analogy doesn't work so well. With airlines you really have to earn it each year to keep it and I have to disagree and say first class get better treatment than coach on board. On RCI this isn't quite the case. At some point this isn't sustainable as more and more people become diamond and D+ something will have to give. I certainly am more than pleased that it has now been just over a year since our last cruise (had to stop cruising while the wife was too pregnant and until our little one was 6 months old) and we are still D+ and will still enjoy some complimentary drinks, pictures, and the many other nice perks with D+. I would never get this from an airline without a flight in over a year.

I guess I just look at a different way than some but I really like and appreciate the benefits we get even if they do take away our CL access. I'll survive quite well with the drink vouchers and the DL.

After reading this yesterday we called Royal Caribbean and asked about the discount. After 2 separate calls we were told there is no such discount. We are diamond and have pre-purchased the premium package. We sail on the Liberty in June and will find the bar manager to find out what the deal is.

PS not a new poster-cruise critic seemed to have lost all our previous posts

People who say that D's should be happy with the drink vouchers and no lounge just assume all D's are drinkers.

My lady and I are chasing Diamond because we like the Lounge to enjoy snacks in and meet people, not drink...we barely drink. We do 830 dinner and like to go at 7ish to get a snack and talk to Suite Guests, D+ and P's.

Hi Gravar. I'm not singling you out at all as your sentiment above has been said by a few people within this thread so far... not personal ok? I'm just being general....

I have made a ton of friends in every bar or venue in every RCL ship. You don't need to be forced in a 40 seater lounge to to this... the R Bar and/or Centrum is a great place to meet other cruisers for example! I have always had a good time meeting various people at the pool bar or Sky Bar. Or a trivia... or a game show (ie. battle of the sexes, Finish that Lyric, etc)... or on an excursion and then you see those same people you shared a great day with the next day sitting at a lounger in the Solarium so you drop by to chat and say hi.... I think the lounges forces cruisers to be closed minded, forces us to think the only way possible we can enjoy a cocktail and have the benefit of meeting like minded cruisers is to be stuffed into the lounge. That is so far from the truth. Just my 2 cents :)

By the way everyone... all you Ds who are upset that you may not have lounge access anymore, I can see many MANY of you you meeting each other in the R Bar in my example above, and there will be a ton of us all sharing stories and forming friendships in various excellent venues rather than in the lounge... and thus being able to meet many other non Diamond cruisers as well. I would love to have 40-50 fellow D and D+'s meet everyday before dinner up at the SKy Bar for example in our shorts and tank (rather than slacks and dressed appropriately for the lounge) to enjoy sail away in the sun and breeze.

This whole scenario will work it's way out just fine.

(For the record, I'm D+ and I have no problem having the CL's in the entire fleet turn into SL's)

Edited by Hoopster95

ok, soooo what is the deal with the drink package discounts? We are diamond members so is that 30% discount? Is it on all ships (particularly Anthem)? Do we have to ask a manager for it?

The one time that I encountered it (during a trial of it, apparently), there was a letter in my cabin.

They only have been doing that on sailings with large amounts of Elite members. Those sailings are usually Transatlantic's which Captains Club members tend to book in droves. They are great deals. They don't normally do it.

Did you see this article?

http://www.cruisehive.com/celebrity-cruises-captains-club-concerns/10914

Of course. :)

LT says that the discount is on ALL packages.[/QUO

Been in text with him all night... I have a copy of the actual sop different from the one i posted yesterday. Shows all pkgs and is for top 4 tiers. Loyalty ambassadors all should have a copy.

Hi Gravar. I'm not singling you out at all as your sentiment above has been said by a few people within this thread so far... not personal ok? I'm just being general....

I have made a ton of friends in every bar or venue in every RCL ship. You don't need to be forced in a 40 seater lounge to to this... the R Bar and/or Centrum is a great place to meet other cruisers for example! I have always had a good time meeting various people at the pool bar or Sky Bar. Or a trivia... or a game show (ie. battle of the sexes, Finish that Lyric, etc)... or on an excursion and then you see those same people you shared a great day with the next day sitting at a lounger in the Solarium so you drop by to chat and say hi.... I think the lounges forces cruisers to be closed minded, forces us to think the only way possible we can enjoy a cocktail and have the benefit of meeting like minded cruisers is to be stuffed into the lounge. That is so far from the truth. Just my 2 cents :)

By the way everyone... all you Ds who are upset that you may not have lounge access anymore, I can see many MANY of you you meeting each other in the R Bar in my example above, and there will be a ton of us all sharing stories and forming friendships in various excellent venues rather than in the lounge... and thus being able to meet many other non Diamond cruisers as well. I would love to have 40-50 fellow D and D+'s meet everyday before dinner up at the SKy Bar for example in our shorts and tank (rather than slacks and dressed appropriately for the lounge) to enjoy sail away in the sun and breeze.

(For the record, I'm D+ and I have no problem having the CL's in the entire fleet turn into SL's)

Very well put. I have so much fun hanging out on the pool deck drinking beer and talking to Joe Schmoe. It's always a fun time. I wouldn't even know where the CL is located, nevermind go to it.

Very well put. I have so much fun hanging out on the pool deck drinking beer and talking to Joe Schmoe. It's always a fun time. I wouldn't even know where the CL is located, nevermind go to it.

I'll help you out. On Enchantment, it's up the ramp behind the bar in the VCL. The DL is in same location, but you then need to take half flight of stairs. Have fun on that last trip. The locals will miss her

You shouldn't see any children in a DL during cocktail hours. I'm not sure that you should see children of D+ or PC in the CL either. Pretty sure it is only for suite guests. That being said, we took our GS to the CL on Enchantment since it was basically empty.

John, we have been on sailings where the welcome letter from the concierges welcomed children into both the CL and the DL.

Don't get me wrong though... I love the CL. Without my access to the CL I wouldn't have met Merion_Mom, Beachcruzer, Elleluv, Mommabean, a whole bunch of others here from this forum, etc...

So the above CL mentality has to be brought to the other venues by all of us, and you will see very easily within a night or two a venue of choice emerge for those D's perhaps with only the 3 drink vouchers. I see this happen on every cruise with nightclub people for example, or people with standard interests (ie. hanging out in the Solarium all day). It's the same people every day in the same place. doing the same thing, all the time. We are creatures of habit.

And plus with Cruise Critic roll calls the likelihood that many D's will preset their own "lounge" toimes in the R Bar before the cruise even happens for example is extremely high. That word will get around as well imo. I think all this will work out just fine for everyone, and hopefully will allow RCL to adjust staff and fill other venues a little rather than overstuffing the lounges and needing to close down public venues as overflows.

Again, just my 2 cents. I feel this will work it's way out :)

John, we have been on sailings where the welcome letter from the concierges welcomed children into both the CL and the DL.

I guess it could depend on the makeup. Our GS was well behaved, the lounge was basically empty. He never got out of his seat. Bartender was bringing him Shirley Temple's.

No, I had not read that article. But I have known about the Transatlantic's getting the vouchers for the last several years because of the large amount of Captains Club top tier members who book them. Those sailings are inexpensive and many do it back to back with a regular sailing since it is an inexpensive add on. Less expensive than flying both ways.

So this was their first Transatlantic and they must have been on at least 15 to 20 sailings on Celebrity prior if they are Elite. So now they are thinking of saying goodbye? The two hour Captains Club top tiers event is what they love most! I think they need to get a life.

That event is nice but it's not worth the love! You only get certain drinks. Not premium brands. Myself, I never went every night. I never had more than three drinks so the three vouchers would not have bothered me. I did four Celebrity sailings in 2014, and two in 2015. They had the event on all of those sailings. No vouchers. I have never had them myself on any Celebrity sailing. The event lounge was never close to being full. They use a large lounge. So I don't think in general they have a capacity problem. It is only on a few of a type of sailings that happen a few times a year that have become very popular with Captains Club top tier members. If I was on one of those Transatlantic's on which they are practicably giving away the cabins I would not complain about getting only 3 free drink vouchers instead of an event.

Edited by Charles4515

Add free snacks (especially brie) and I am in....

Great Thanks. I'll see if Enchantment is offering the 40% discount then hunt down the bar manager. :)

You may have to track him down Ray. It was all hush-hush on Serenade about the discounts. :rolleyes:

I'll tie him down for 40%. :D

By all means, we did, and eventually received the discounts. Bill received his 40% off the premium package automatically, I had to push for 25% off my select package. Forty percent would have made the PP cheaper for me. :rolleyes: But the whole thing was weird and no one was quite clear on the discounts.

Peter received a phone call from the Bar Manager. :p

Where is it written that you must (or forced) go to the lounges....it's clear you don't value this perk, but for the people that do (US) it's quite an amazing one. There is nothing like entering that lounge on the first night just after the safety drill to see how many past cruisers are on your sailing...its awesome! We have the best times in the lounges...and yes we are those ones that are always in a large groups taking up a lot of the lounge.

Anytime RC asks us what's your favorite perk....DL/CL. It's the best perk I have ever been offered by any loyalty program. Just my 2 cents

Edited by robandana