Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

I just made Emerald on my last cruise, and I think it will be a good 5 years before we make Diamond.

I'm going to miss the Welcome Back parties. I know some people thought they were boring, but we liked the introductions of the senior officers.

I wonder how long the changes will last? RC got rid of the wait staff entertainment in the MDR. We never had any sort of conga line or towel waving on the Freedom in 2014 or the Brilliance in 2016.

In talking to other passengers, they all said the same thing, they missed the towel waving and the introduction of the executive chef and other senior chefs.

Guess what? We had all of that on the Majesty last month.

I could see that if enough C&A members who are Emerald and lower complaining that the only party is the captain's reception for all passengers, RC might rethink the move.

Not so terribly earth-shattering breaking news:

A friend who just boarded the Brilliance says that they have the reported drink package discounts for different levels of C&A.

I wonder if the Enchantment is onboard with this. I've already prepaid for the premium package for next week. I wonder if they are offering the discount if they will refund 40% back. I'd hate to cancel it now only to find out they're not offering the discount and I'll have to buy it all over again.

If someone is paying for a GS suite and above and even if this person is a one time cruiser they deserve to get the service and quality they paid for and do not need to face to be stuck in a overcrowded lounge full of status members earning their status from deeply discounted inside cabin / last minute bookings. Hence it would be just fair to set the restrictions to dedicate the D lounge for D+ And above on north america sailings and provide D members only the drink vouchers + additional perks suck as a couple of speciality coffees per day.

For all other sailings the perks should remain as before since the proportion of D and above is not that extreem in the other markets

Personally, I enjoy the three drink vouchers. Since some ships/sailings do not want my teens to be in the lounge for cocktail hour, they give me the chance to have a before dinner drink or two "on the house" without ditching my kids or others who might be sailing with us and not of the same status (my in laws jump to mind).

When the lounge is quiet, we do enjoy sitting there and playing cards and availing ourselves of the munchies before dinner, and we do like knowing it is always available to grab some coffee or cocoa and sit somewhere quiet during the daytime--but we will not be all that put out to lose that if the diamonds are kicked out at some point.

The actual cocktail hours has never been the best place to meet people anyway, in my opinion---half the people in there at that time re trying to drink as much as they can in the time slot, and many seem uninterested in talking to strangers. We love meeting new friends on cruises, but tend to meet them at trivia, or lunch or in the hot tub, etc.

A good discount on the drink packages would be a great win-win: the cruiseline gets some revenue and we get a discount which makes buying the package attractive to us (so we can drink what e want where and when we want it) and feel valued for our loyalty.

I do not think RCCL had any idea how many Diamond and diamond plus passengers they would have when they started this program. I hoping most of the diamond plus benefits will still be there when we get there hopefully next year, but happy I can get a seat in the lounge when traveling in a suite.

I don't know how they wouldn't since they let people register anyone in their household and I believe that's part of the problem. It took me 26 years to get to D+ one cruise at a time. With that said we saw this happening when we were Diamond and allowed in the CL and said it wouldn't last. I think we should just appreciate the perks that are given because there is no other cruise line's program as good as C&A.

Janet, you make a very valid point.

I would also point out that there are also suite guests, that are loyal cruisers to RC. They have spent even bigger dollars on an on going basis and will continue too. They might not be the "norm" but they do exsist. That is why some suggest loyalty for dollars spent on cabin costs. I won't, as I am content with where I am.

Janet this isn't directed at you but it is a generalization for those on this thread. I will just muse out loud the following thought. For the threads where the OP asks, "Would you rather stay in a GS or a balcony cabin". Half the folks say if you can afford it go for it. The other half say I'd rather sail 4 times in a balcony than pay the amount of a GS. Everyone spends a lot of money for their cruise holiday, no matter their financial position. Crusing has grown to such a level as a holiday that the RC loyalty program has surpased it's own growth expectations. It is a geat position for RC to be in. For them to realign a loyalty program is an issue, but not really a problem.

I never cruised until 2004 and didn't cruise on RC until 2005. We went from Gold to D+ in 10 years and in reality most of our points were earned in the last 5 years. Any "possible" realignment of this system won't bother me. To me the points are just points. The real reward for me has been the fun I have had along the way seeing wonderful sights, meeting great people from crew and guests alike, making memories I will never forget and spending time with my family while having a break from work.

We will have to wait to see what RC has in store for C&A, and if there are going to be changes.

We also sail in Suites now, the last 6 cruises to be exact, we are Diamond plus, so the myth that only new or one time cruisers are in a suite is wrong, and we can see where sometimes a Suite cruiser can get annoyed at the crowds.

Anyone that was on the snowbird cruise can tell you about the crowds in the CL and the overflow area, we found it easier to go to another bar and have a cocktail there to avoid fighting the happy hour crowd for a seat.

Whatever RCL has in store for the program remains to be seen, I don't think it will be the end of the world, but a discount on the drink package would be nice.

Edited by Mac303

A friend who just boarded the Brilliance says that they have the reported drink package discounts for different levels of C&A.

Boarded Indy today and they have no such thing and the loyalty ambassador told me that it's a per ship basis decision made by the Bar manager. Said he's heard of it on Adventure too.

Sad times :(

I just made Emerald on my last cruise, and I think it will be a good 5 years before we make Diamond.

I'm going to miss the Welcome Back parties. I know some people thought they were boring, but we liked the introductions of the senior officers.

I wonder how long the changes will last? RC got rid of the wait staff entertainment in the MDR. We never had any sort of conga line or towel waving on the Freedom in 2014 or the Brilliance in 2016.

In talking to other passengers, they all said the same thing, they missed the towel waving and the introduction of the executive chef and other senior chefs.

Guess what? We had all of that on the Majesty last month.

I could see that if enough C&A members who are Emerald and lower complaining that the only party is the captain's reception for all passengers, RC might rethink the move.

There was also entertainment on oasis last week in the MDR. We never ate there, but I saw it and heard the music walking by one evening.

Had similar thoughts about changes. We had heard that RCCL finally realized that the number of Diamonds was outpacing capacity in the DL. On one TA crossing (Independence) we had roughly 800 D, D+ and P. The entire Viking Crown Lounge became the DL and the folks in Beverage weren't all that thrilled about giving up the revenue.

The rumor mill suggested either a change in point threshold or limiting access to the DL.

Didn't see this question asked and no one may have the answer yet. Anyone know since SL will be suites and Pinnacle only now will they will offer the wine / beer beginning at 11am as they have been on the Oasis and Allure in their suite lounge?

Edited by jonj

o.k., enough. I've been reading these "rumors" from "sources who can't be named" for about three years now. I remember at one point, multiple folks "guaranteed" the changes by a certain date. They never happened.

Anyone remember the "Black Diamond" rumor that was "guaranteed." There was even a supposed picture of a "Black Diamond" sign at check-in. Never happened!

What I'm saying is that I discount any source that is not named. Yes, the Hotel Director may have said something but... 1. S/he could be wrong. 2. S/he could be guessing. 3. S/he could be messing with you

Edited by yogimax

Wonder if they would allow this special if you purchase the package part way thru the cruise....I have never had a package on RCI, given the lounges, but might be good for sea days near the end of the cruise....

We're in our first ever GS end of May on Brilliance. Do these changes mean that we may be able to find a seat in the CL?

We're just lowly Emeralds still.

I don't know if they've made any changes to the CL on Brilliance since we sailed on her in early 2015, but that CL is actually one of the nicer ones we've ever had the pleasure of being in. It has a nice outdoor area, as well as a larger indoor area. Much larger than the lounges on Freedom class.

Also, going later helps with the crowd situation. It usually clears out quite a bit right before 6pm.

I wonder if the Enchantment is onboard with this. I've already prepaid for the premium package for next week. I wonder if they are offering the discount if they will refund 40% back. I'd hate to cancel it now only to find out they're not offering the discount and I'll have to buy it all over again.

I doubt Enchantment will do it any time soon. Maybe once she settles into Miami. So you are on her last trip from PC or the first Miami? I was hoping to get one more shot of her sailing away

All the Empress sailings are Sold Out :eek:

I feel bad for those people booked on Empress, all the uncertainty. It would be driving me nuts.

Edited by clarea

Wonder if they would allow this special if you purchase the package part way thru the cruise....I have never had a package on RCI, given the lounges, but might be good for sea days near the end of the cruise....

I would like to know that as well. I guess we will find out as time goes on

I feel bad for those people booked on Empress, all the uncertainty. It would be driving me nuts.

The irony, for me, is that I *always* fly Southwest. You know, the airline that gives refunds and lets you make changes without a charge.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I have to fly into Miami, so I booked American Airlines.

:(

The irony, for me, is that I *always* fly Southwest. You know, the airline that gives refunds and lets you make changes without a charge.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I have to fly into Miami, so I booked American Airlines.

:(

What a pain. Even though it's more of a hassle, I would have done all I could to fly Southwest into FLL.

by that same token, suite pax who are NOT diamond are also finding it damn near impossible to get a seat in the CL. at least D+ have a fall back if the CL is packed. but Suite pax have no such luxury nor do they get the three drink vouchers nightly(unless of course they are D/+ in their own right)

SOMETHING has to be done to alleviate the overcrowding in BOTH lounges.

I have said it many times before: give the D+ the lounge exclusively and let Ds get their drinks via voucher., I'll even be nice and give them one free specialty coffee per day to forestall the inevitable b!tching about the loss of the coffee machine access.

We've found that it has a lot to do with the time of the year you sail.

Last year we were on Liberty during Spring Break (college) and had no problem finding a seat in the cl, in fact, it was practically empty. We've sailed in the winter and gone a little later with no problem. Others sailing during the summer have also reported fewer crowds in the lounges.

Now this past September, we sailed on FOS, B2B in an OS, and couldn't get a seat in the CL. There were a lot of P's on both of those cruises. The first week we just went ahead and got the drink package. And I know, 2 weeks in an OS, we shouldn't have to do that, but it is what it is. I'm not going to stand in line for a glass of Chardonnay that isn't that great to begin with. They did send quite a few bottles of wine to our room, and comped our internet. Then we turned Diamond on that first week, so second week we were recognized as D, and figured, new lounge, we'll go there, but it was exactly the same, if not worse! And even though now we had 3 drinks a day loaded to our cards, we ended up getting the drink package for the second week as well. :)

I see this very hard to implement...so what if you just became P at 700 points do you go back to D+....and we all know RC does not grandfather...

It will be interesting to see the actual changes, if and when they happen.;)

That's what I thought too. But the P I talked to seemed very sincere in her believe

that they were upping the level to 1,000.

Once again, who knows what RCI has planned for the program in the future. Lots

of rumors out there. ;)