Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

I'm glad the letter was taken down. It was clearly an internal memo obviously not intended for customers' eyes.

While the contents/tone may have angered some people, why should we be surprised that a business is trying to figure out how to generate more revenue from its most frequent customers?

I saved it.....

While the contents/tone may have angered some people, why should we be surprised that a business is trying to figure out how to generate more revenue from its most frequent customers?

If I was still a RC stock holder I would be happy with this. As a frequent cruiser this also doesn't come as a surprise to me.

I will also state that my source is not the second cousin, twice removed, of the assistant dish washer.

Uh-huh...so where is Kay, that naughty noisy girl stirring things up like this? ;) :p

Tell her Pat and Bucky says "hi" and look forward to cruising with

her again. She is a indeed a lot of fun. :D

Edited by island lady

I think the SL that don't have Coastal Kitchen will end up being empty...

This is how it all started in the first place, the CL were suite only and always empty....long long ago...Someone at RC head office decided to add the D's to the CL lounge as a perk and to make use of a very unused lounge....now its grown to a point that it may be out of control.

There is one thing for sure every time there is chatter about these changes people spend a lot of money trying to get to the next level...

We did it when we were bumped from the CL as Diamonds....we rushed to get to D+.....I wonder how may D+ and rushing to get to P??

On one of the cruises I was on with Cruising Grandma, a Pinnacle sitting on the other

side of us swore part of the changes were that P's were going to 1,000 points first of May.

Since I have been quoted here, I decided to respond....I just returned home tonight from b2b(consecutive cruises) on Liberty. The changes have already taken place on Liberty with the lounges. There is no longer a concierge lounge....the old location is now a card room. There is a new suite lounge, and it is only for Suite guests and pinnacle club members. The diamond lounge is available for Diamond and Diamond plus and pinnacle club members. We were told these same changes will take place on all other Royal Caribbean ships. There was no specific date for the changes on other ships, and Liberty added the suite lounge during dry dock in January. I would not be concerned at being "kicked out" of the concierge lounge on other ships in the near future. It will take time to do the conversions, unless they just change the name of the concierge lounge to a suite lounge.

As far as the Welcome back party(repeater's party), unless I missed an invitation, there was none. There was an upper tier party each week......first week in the Star Lounge and second week in the Studio B, including a nice, brief show from the ice skaters onboard. There was a new pinnacle couple announced both weeks. I have all the compasses, so if anyone would like info from them, I'll be happy to share.

Nightmare was today's disembarkation.....:(

Oh there you are!! :)

Welcome back girl, and hope you had a great cruise. Looking forward to cruising

with you again. Lots of changes coming, and lots of rumors flying as usual. ;)

I am with Bob, however, and think eventually the D's will have the three drink vouchers

to use, and the D lounge will become D+ and over once the SL is implemented on all ships.

(I like what one poster thought it could be renamed as "Upper tier" lounge). Can you just

imagine all the D's and D+ pax trying to get into the D lounge (which became the entire

V/C lounge) on that Brilliance cruise we were on?? :eek:

Bucky and I also stopped going to the repeaters party long ago, but still enjoy going

to the upper tier party when we can (but don't seem to make it all the time).

The one thing I will miss is being able to go to either lounge for my morning Latte.

Sometimes one machine is broken, (or out of milk) and have a choice to go to the other

one. Perhaps not just the drink voucher, but add Latte voucher for Starbucks on our

sea pass card as an option. ;)

Edited by island lady

The only lounge that they really need to worry about crowding is the one assigned to the Suite guests. That is a fairly fixed amount of passengers. The DL usage can swing all over the place based on the C&A makeup of the guests.

We've enjoyed the perks offered at whatever level we were at, but always with the understanding Royal could change them at any time. We were lucky to be D+ when the perks changed but some cruises we had drinks before dinner at the diamond event so we could meet with friends and never stepped foot in the CL, except for coffee! Currently, we go to whichever lounge is less crowded, and, lately, it's been the CL; however, on our 30 day Radiance cruise we usually went to the DL as the concierge was super friendly. We can live with no longer being able to use the CL. I do hope the "rumors" the D's will lose the DL do not come to pass as our oldest son just made D on his last cruise and I am looking forward to drinks with him in the DL on our Dec. cruise! I guess if this does happen, we will just use the vouchers!:D

Sherri:)

I do not think RCCL had any idea how many Diamond and diamond plus passengers they would have when they started this program. I hoping most of the diamond plus benefits will still be there when we get there hopefully next year, but happy I can get a seat in the lounge when traveling in a suite.

After over 25 Royal Caribbean cruises in balcony cabins, JS cabins and full suites we tried Celebrity last year. We had the drink package as did almost everyone on the cruise. I expected the food to be better than Royal but it was about the same. So for the extra money to cruise celebrity I hope you won't be as disappointed as we were. We will probably give them another try at some point but not in a big rush.

I agree with you & Bobal. We tried Celebrity in 2012, enjoyed it but it was not the "step above" that we had been told about for years. :D We are giving them another try in August but with the free drinks package, I doubt if we ever go to the Captain's Club as we found it to be not nearly as nice as Royal's DL/CL and yes, the Captain's Club is a little more "snooty" than Royal's. Several Elites told us they did not think it was fair we were able to come to their club on our first cruise.

On our last cruise, I met several people who were taking the cruise (not even getting off the ship) only because they were trying to accumulate enough points to get to the next level. I've never understood why someone would pay a lot of money for a lounge? The very nice Pinnacle woman sitting across from me at the officer's meal asked me what ship our next cruise was on and when I said Celebrity, she told me we would never get to Pinnacle that way. I think she was shocked when I told her that was not a goal for us.:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

I think it's a valid point. If I paid $$$$ for a cruise as a suite passenger and couldn't find a seat in the lounge I would be pi$$ed.

A point that is being missed here is that over the years the D, D+ and P folks have also paid $$$$$$ to RC on an ongoing basis, not just a one-time shot as a suite passenger.

A point that is being missed here is that over the years the D, D+ and P folks have also paid $$$$$$ to RC on an ongoing basis, not just a one-time shot as a suite passenger.

I'll just say again that each ship is its own entity, and each week comes with new revenue goals per passenger etc etc. Does NOT matter to them how much you've spent in the past on other sailings or ships, only what you'll spend on that specific sailing.

I do not think RCCL had any idea how many Diamond and diamond plus passengers they would have when they started this program. I hoping most of the diamond plus benefits will still be there when we get there hopefully next year, but happy I can get a seat in the lounge when traveling in a suite.

The marketing problem for RCCL (and most other cruise lines) is that, unlike airline elite frequent flyer programs, there is no re-qualification for C&A top tiers. The best source of revenue for a cruise line (like an airline) comes from people who are frequent customers now, not years ago and who spend alot on their cruises. With cruise lines, a person who cruised twice in the past year can be in a much higher tier than someone who cruised 6 times in the past year and spent much more. Most airlines either do not allow lifetime elite status or limit lifetime elite status to a tiny number of million milers.

Edited by actuarian

Go ahead and blast me! This thread is so depressing. I have never seen so much arrogance in one place in my life. Yes I will be disappointed since I finally made diamond, to have the DL perk taken away, if that is what happens...and I hope it does not. But first of all, it is all speculation at this point. Secondly, never have I looked down my nose at those that haven't made diamond yet. Not everyone is privileged enough to have multiple vacation days and an endless pocketbook and be able to afford the suites, and multiple cruises it takes to get to the upper tiers. I just can't believe the attitude that if you are not D+, you're nothing. That is the way I interpret many of your comments. :(

The welcome back party has been my favorite C&A activity. Now it's gone. :(

May not be totally gone, it did say upper tier. What that means seems to vary by ship, or possibly how many of whom was on board that cruise. I've seen platinum invited to upper tier on Jewel back in 2014. On Freedom upper tier meant Diamond, but they had 2 parties at that time. One for Gold to Emerald.

Janet, you make a very valid point.

I would also point out that there are also suite guests, that are loyal cruisers to RC. They have spent even bigger dollars on an on going basis and will continue too. They might not be the "norm" but they do exsist. That is why some suggest loyalty for dollars spent on cabin costs. I won't, as I am content with where I am.

Janet this isn't directed at you but it is a generalization for those on this thread. I will just muse out loud the following thought. For the threads where the OP asks, "Would you rather stay in a GS or a balcony cabin". Half the folks say if you can afford it go for it. The other half say I'd rather sail 4 times in a balcony than pay the amount of a GS. Everyone spends a lot of money for their cruise holiday, no matter their financial position. Crusing has grown to such a level as a holiday that the RC loyalty program has surpased it's own growth expectations. It is a geat position for RC to be in. For them to realign a loyalty program is an issue, but not really a problem.

I never cruised until 2004 and didn't cruise on RC until 2005. We went from Gold to D+ in 10 years and in reality most of our points were earned in the last 5 years. Any "possible" realignment of this system won't bother me. To me the points are just points. The real reward for me has been the fun I have had along the way seeing wonderful sights, meeting great people from crew and guests alike, making memories I will never forget and spending time with my family while having a break from work.

We will have to wait to see what RC has in store for C&A, and if there are going to be changes.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I don't think a potential realignment of the program comes as a huge shock to anyone - or at least it shouldn't to anyone who has been paying attention. On many sailings the overflow situation during the happy hours is simply way out of control.

We have enjoyed the CL as well as the DL over the past few years. Yes, the CL (Or "P" lounge as I've heard some call it) can get a bit crowded with all of those egos stuffed in there - and I have seen guests sailing in suites not stay/not return because of that atmosphere. Disenfranchising the D+ is only part of the solution - but it needs to happen. That would free up a few chairs - but would stoke the "attitude" of the 'P" lounge that I believe some percentage of suite guests try to avoid.

As painful as it might be I think a more permanent solution is to make all of the CLs into SLs that are JUST for suites (GS+) period. That would allow the line to pay closer attention to the guests on that sailing who paid the most for that sailing. More individual attention would likely make more return on future cruises.

Turn the DLs into something called something else for just the P and D+ group. This would greatly reduce the need to close revenue producing venues to use them as overflow lounges. If the numbers show that the lounge would still be too crowded on average then formalize that mythical level at 340/350 points (Unicorn level?) and restrict lounge access to those two groups.

D's (and maybe those not "Unicorn" level) would retain the 3 drink vouchers and have additional vouchers added for specialty coffees.

Personally - I'd rather they just rip the bandage off and be done with it. It is very clear that changes need to be made to the program. I'd rather they be made all at once.

NOTE: The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.

Edited by Beachin2
spelling

As a "lowly" diamond, and having never been inside a CL, what's the difference between that and the DL? We really enjoyed the DL on Indy and met an elderly couple that preferred that to the CL, on this particular sailing, because they said the CL was overrun by children. Definitely didn't see many children in the DL.

As a "lowly" diamond, and having never been inside a CL, what's the difference between that and the DL? We really enjoyed the DL on Indy and met an elderly couple that preferred that to the CL, on this particular sailing, because they said the CL was overrun by children. Definitely didn't see many children in the DL.

There is no difference in the perks between the CL and DL. However, the Suite Lounge on Oasis class does offer more than the CL/DL in that complimentary soda and selected beers/wines are available from 11am to 11pm.