Need Help fixing mistaken airline departer time

I have never cruised before, so I think I made a huge mistake when I booked our departure flight. Of course I've paid for everything, and changing flight times will cost me an extra grand.

We are booked for a 10:25 departure time Sunday May 8th.

We are taking a 3 day cruise to Mexico on Carnival, the website says we will be back in Long Beach by 7 am.

I gleened from reading other posts, that 10:25am flight maybe an issue.

I figured an hour to get off the ship, by 8:15 be in a taxi, and by 9:15 at LAX and by 10:00 be at our air terminal.

It's a Sunday morning, usually things a quitter then. But I have no experience with LAX.

Are my estimates out of line?

I was considering purchasing the Faster to the Fun option, to help get us off the ship earlier. Would that help?

I need to know if I am being unrealistic in my timeline, and if so, what kind of options do I have.

I did purchase travel insurance for flights and the cruise.

I will have one bag per person. We are traveling light, carry on only.

Edited by HelloKittyHappyRainbow
add information

Since this is a short cruise, you probably won't have that much luggage. You can do self departure if you are able to take your luggage off without any help. I can't speak to West Coast departures, but maybe some others can help you.

Never cruised out of CA but that seems like cutting it close to me. What if the ship is delayed returning for some reason or there is a customs issue? Both issues we have experienced at other ports. Once in Miami we couldn't even get off the ship until almost your flight time due to some type of customs/computer situation.

Like I said, never sailed out of CA so...I do know I would not cut it that close even out of FLL where the airport is minutes from the port. But that's just my opinion and certainly others will disagree.

yep, you faux pa'd big time. Ship may dock at 7AM but then the ship has to be cleared by US Customs before they can begin letting passengers off the ship.

Can you make it? That's a good question. Yes, but only about 50% chance I'd think. Especially since you booked LAX. You're a long way from LAX on a Sunday morning.

What are your option?

1. Stay with what you have. Carry On only. Do "Self Debarkation". You'll be the first couple of hundred off the ship. Grab the most expensive cab in line and race to the airport.

(Just know that airplanes fly full these days. If you miss the flight, it could be a couple of days before you all get seats to get home. Insurance WILL NOT cover this

((Also know that you will be stressing about this the entire cruise))

2. Pay for the mistake now and pay the change fees up front. (Chaulk it up to lesson learned)

3. Wait for, hope and pray for, the airline to change it's flight schedule. If they change it by more than 90 minutes, you can ask for a later flight at no cost to you.

4. Wait until reservations would most likely be at a slow time. Call up reservations, start off with admitting this is 100% your fault, explain the situation, beg, plead, and maybe,,, just maybe they might give you a break on change fees.

Edited by klfrodo

Definitely do self debark and be near the exit waiting & ready to go. If lines at security at the airport are long let the TSA agent know if you are less than 15 or 20 minutes to your flight time. My experience has been they will get you to the front of the line.

Not knowing where you are flying to if it is a fairly route with multiple flights a day or a one with one or two flights a day - that will make a difference if you do miss your flight in trying to get on another.

Again it never hurts to call the airline and beg for mercy! The worst they can say is no.

I think you are in trouble. TSA lines at any terminal at LAX are horrendous - I have waited 30 minutes in the PreCheck line over at the UA terminal...Sundays are a big leisure departure day, so there will be crowds. As for traffic, I don't think there is a "less traffic" day on the 405 up to LA... Call the airline, get the flight changed and think of the $$$ change fee as a reminder to not book a flight before noon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am another one who recommends that you work with the Airlines trying to get your flight changed.

Ship arrival time is not locked in concrete. Delay getting through customs and catching a taxi. One accident on the freeway backing up traffic. Long slow TSA lines, etc.

Plus LAX is a huge congested airport with some distance to some gates. Which means if you are close to your departure time you may be running through the crowd to the gate to try to make it.

You do not want to worry the time you are on your Cruise about the flight home.

Bob

I appreciate the honesty. I am changing my flight. The airline was kind enough to reduce the change fee, thank you Delta!

Lesson learned for sure!!

LAX is my home airport...you were correct to change your flight. I use DL often and they are usually pretty good to work with...glad this was the case for you too.

I appreciate the honesty. I am changing my flight. The airline was kind enough to reduce the change fee, thank you Delta!

Lesson learned for sure!!

Happy to hear this!

Delta flies out of T5. Some terminals have shortcuts to go thru. This is one of the harder ones to get to.

Carnival recommends 1pm as the earliest flight out of LAX.

Enjoy the Imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I have never cruised before, so I think I made a huge mistake when I booked our departure flight. Of course I've paid for everything, and changing flight times will cost me an extra grand.

We are booked for a 10:25 departure time Sunday May 8th.

We are taking a 3 day cruise to Mexico on Carnival, the website says we will be back in Long Beach by 7 am.

I gleened from reading other posts, that 10:25am flight maybe an issue.

I figured an hour to get off the ship, by 8:15 be in a taxi, and by 9:15 at LAX and by 10:00 be at our air terminal.

It's a Sunday morning, usually things a quitter then. But I have no experience with LAX.

Are my estimates out of line?

I was considering purchasing the Faster to the Fun option, to help get us off the ship earlier. Would that help?

I need to know if I am being unrealistic in my timeline, and if so, what kind of options do I have.

I did purchase travel insurance for flights and the cruise.

I will have one bag per person. We are traveling light, carry on only.

Please make sure that you are fully aware of any requirements for the travel insurance, in terms of "time allowed" for connections, etc.

Quite reasonably, for example, if someone *plans* 45 minutes to get from a cruise port to a departing airline (perhaps because that's an unusually cheap flight or such), travel insurance is not likely to cover any losses from missing the flight.

You'd need to check with your own travel insurance policy/insurer to know if there are minimum connection times for the insurance coverage to be valid.

so glad you got to change it! I've had it take me an hour or more to get through customs coming through long beach terminal (i work across the harbor, see the ships several days a week!).

Getting to LAX will either be quick and a snap or painfully long - we're really unpredictable. And yes, you're on the side of the airport i consider pretty difficult to get through - first of all driving through the traffic to get to that terminal, but its really congested with so many flights coming in and out. and the delta terminal is pretty long!

glad you worked it out :)