Rhapsody Rough Seas

Hi Mindy,sorry to hear this, feel for all of you , especially for the ones who are on their trip of a lifetime first cruise.

We are on Rhapsody later on in the year but on a higher deck than those you mention that are damaged. I suppose with the cabin numbers effected there are too many for the ship to repair . Windows are not a problem it is the drying out, replacing soft furnishings, electrics etc. takes time. Is the sailing full?

Thanks, Heather. We felt very bad for the ones who had no choice but to go home since they no longer had an inhabitable cabin while the rest of us were having a great old time!

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Wanted to emphasize that I have no official info on how many people were displaced and ended up leaving the ship. Although our cabin attendant thought the number was around 150 another person I spoke to said he was told 80. I'm sure the Captain's Corner will be very crowded.

All the displaced guests I observed were remarkably calm and stoic. Some left the ship after dinner, so probably were put in hotels overnight to be flown home today. I just took a look at the port hallways on decks 2 and 3 and 2 looks normal although someone told me he was on 2 and the cabin next to his had the ceiling come down. Maybe a few rooms are being repaired behind closed doors. The hallway on 3 between 3090 and 3038 is closed off with all carpet and pad removed and fans blowing.

MindyJohn: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the live reports. I've always been a believer that those who post on cruise critic are much more reliable than the general media. I have an interior cabin booked in the area on deck three that is roped off and the carpet is being removed. Any updates you can give would be greatly appreciated on that area. Example: New carpet being installed or just old carpet properly dried out? Do you notice any new furniture coming in? ect... Did you notice any water damage outside of the area roped off? Mold and mildew are my only concerns. Thank you SO much and keep enjoying the beautiful (but a little injured) Rhapsody :)

Correction: 137 passengers were affected by this incident. The number of those who did fly back home has not been disclosed.

I wonder, would RCI give you a choice to not leave? What if it's only 1-2 days left and someone wanted to sleep on a lounge chair or some other place - would they really kick you off?

Awful that anybody had to cut their cruise short this way, wonderful that there were no serious injuries. Hopefully the affected pax will get another chance to have their cruise later and RCI will cover all their expenses. Things happen, Mother Nature rules, and we mortals do what we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

MindyJohn: THANK YOU SO MUCH for the live reports. I've always been a believer that those who post on cruise critic are much more reliable than the general media. I have an interior cabin booked in the area on deck three that is roped off and the carpet is being removed. Any updates you can give would be greatly appreciated on that area. Example: New carpet being installed or just old carpet properly dried out? Do you notice any new furniture coming in? ect... Did you notice any water damage outside of the area roped off? Mold and mildew are my only concerns. Thank you SO much and keep enjoying the beautiful (but a little injured) Rhapsody :)

Thanks for the updates!

RCL is really good at filling ships.
There are very few showing available for the next sailing (May 3) but there are some for the following sailing on May 13. There was a big price drop about two weeks ago and that brought in folks from the sidelines - I just hope those cabins are ready. I'm not sure which is worse - getting kicked off the ship for your cabin window being broken or showing up at the pier and being told you have no cabin.:eek:

On board now We are on deck 3 but our cabin was unaffected 60 people were disembarked last night to the Hyatt Hotel & RCCL were sending staff there to sort transport etc, but from what I saw staff were outstanding in offering support. Sadly cabins are still under repair so with a full ship there's nowhere else to sleep. New carpets and beds etc are all lined up on deck 3 Staff there are working nonstop.

On board now We are on deck 3 but our cabin was unaffected 60 people were disembarked last night to the Hyatt Hotel & RCCL were sending staff there to sort transport etc, but from what I saw staff were outstanding in offering support. Sadly cabins are still under repair so with a full ship there's nowhere else to sleep. New carpets and beds etc are all lined up on deck 3 Staff there are working nonstop.

Thank you so much for reporting live. I actually switched my cabin from port side to starboard side this morning to avoid any possible mold/mildew residue as I'm super sensitive to smell. Would you mind sharing the general area of your cabin (mid/forward/aft) on deck 3? .

Thank you so much for reporting live. I actually switched my cabin from port side to starboard side this morning to avoid any possible mold/mildew residue as I'm super sensitive to smell. Would you mind sharing the general area of your cabin (mid/forward/aft) on deck 3? .

That'll be safest for you. My guess is there will be a lot of replaced carpeting and furniture.

Edited by MindyJohn

According to this news by Cruisecritic 44 people flew back home. Others received new cabins. All affected do receive a full refund and a future cruise certificate of the same amount. RCI covered hotel/flight costs.

steamboats

Wow... now this is customer care due to unforseen circumstance.

And yet look how they treated those Empress affected cruisers due to likely foreseen circumstances. :eek:

Doesn't make sense, but good on RCL for this specific case.

This is what can happen in "rogue wave" events where there can be a deep trough ahead of the wave. The extreme case is the ship "breaks its back" and sinks. Lots of examples over the years:eek:

I would think that RCL will have marine engineers testing and evaluating to see how much stress was placed on the ship..... Assuming it was not too bad, they may wait until dry dock time for any testing and strengthening.

I would think that RCL will have marine engineers testing and evaluating to see how much stress was placed on the ship..... Assuming it was not too bad, they may wait until dry dock time for any testing and strengthening.

I will disagree with the PP you quoted that this is a "rogue" wave incident, and that ships breaking in half is a "common" occurrence.

Anyway, the ship will have been inspected by the ship's engineers, and most likely by the class surveyor soon. The most common sign of overstressing a ship's structure is flaking paint from the hull plates and frames. Unless something is seen like this, or twisted frames, there is no permanent damage and there is no "testing" to be done. The simple fact is that steel is flexible in compression, while glass is not, so while the hull and structure have accommodated the bending stress, the glass of the windows has not. This is not a totally unprecedented happening, nor is it of particular concern, except for the fact of flooding the cabins.

Edited by chengkp75