Porter Tipping

gr1634

Come on now. Don't lie to prove your point.

Someone making 40k a year absolutely does not qualify for assistance. A family of two cannot net more then 16k a year to qualify for snap (it hasn't been called food stamps in many years) A family of four cannot have a net income of more then 25k to qualify. To use your salary amount they would have to be a family over eight people.

Here is the income to qualify for SNAP

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1244

So a family of 3, husband wife and child who make under $40,000 can get snap. A family of 2, Husband and stay at home wife who make less than $31,000 get snap.

I apologize for calling it food stamps, I'm a bit older and that's what they sued to call it. Thanks for correcting me about SNAP.

We usually tip $3/bag upon arrival. Several years ago upon return, we were asked for and paid $15 for 2 bags to a porter inside the terminal. The lines were especially long through customs. He went straight to a line I assume was just for porters as there was no line. We went straight through with no waiting. It was the best $15 I spent that week! I cannot imagine how long others waited in those lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sheesh. Who the heck cares what these people make? Are they providing a service? Then respond accordingly. Whey do people always have to bring salaries into it? :rolleyes:

By the way, porters are not stevedores. Stevedores are the men and women loading and unloading cargo ships all day every day. The men who take your bags curbside are simply porters...nothing more.

Exactly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I usually tip $5 per bag at drop off. I have never used porters for going through customs but I would do the same there. $10 per bag is a lot but perhaps they expect more since they are spending a lot of time with you as opposed to just dropping your bags in the bin when you arrive at the cruise terminal. Someone mentioned tipping the porters as "optional", I think it's about as optional as tipping a waiter in a restaurant. It's the norm and very much expected.

You can't compare the waitresses tips with the porters. Unfortunately, the food industry workers rely on tips since most of them only make minimum wage and sometimes less.

In March, Port Everglades. We tipped the Porter $10.00 for two large bags and a couple of carry-ons. Afterwards, I heard him say under his breath... CHEAP!

But he did not ask for more ahead of time. They always work on tips alone.

They absolutely don't work on tips alone. They are part of a union and make good money even without the tips.

We usually tip no more than a few bucks per bag. The porters at the terminals take your bags and put it in the big carts. That's about all they do. Yes, they do it over and over, but that is what their job is. Then the carts go on to other people who also handle your bags, but don't get tipped. Others unload your bags, etc. And this goes on and on with others not getting tipped. Rest assured, they do not share the tips with the other workers. I don't think that porters should expect it. They should see it as an added thanks from passengers. If someone chooses to tip 20.00 for 2 bags and someone else decides not to tip, they should't complain.

For the people who feel it is "mandatory" to tip porters, how do you feel about the other people handling your bags and not getting any tips?

Does anyone tip the check in people at the airport counters? They put your bags on the conveyer belts which is not much different than the porters who put the bags in the carts.

What about the people who load the bags onto the ships or airplanes?

The list can go on and on.

My husband is an AA pilot and he is not tipped. He gets passengers safely from point a to point b. Does he expect any tips? No and he never would so I don't see why porters do. Their job is not nearly as important as so many other jobs where the people don't get nor expect tips!

I think tipping shouldn't be expected from passengers, but appreciated when they do get them. If I see a porter with an attitude then I will not tip. Often I will give them an attitude back and let them know they will not bully or intimidate me into tipping them more or at all. I am much happier to tip the cabin people or other workers who work their butts off and are very appreciative of it.

Edited by ReneeFLL

• 2 months later...
And my whole point was encouraging folks to be generous. I was making a point that $10.18 as a salary and who knows if it's 40 hours a week is not exactly raking in the dough. What does an extra dollar hurt you?

My DD makes around that much. No one tips her and she works really hard. She is educated and has a family of two. Would you give her an extra dollar if she helped you across a business counter? I was a professional working for CEOs, CFOs etc and by the end of my 40 years in the job I was making the average wage of $45,000 a year. That was working 5 days a week with 10 days vacation. Again, would you tip the guy at McDonalds, at the movie theatre, at Home Depot. They all work really hard to.

Yes, I tip the porters and if I have a heavy one I'll throw in another dollar but PLEASE they chose this job and how much they make is not my concern. You must have a relative that works for the port.

I had a friend who's dad did. He lived in Florida. Said the job was a snap and he did it because he liked talking to people, it was pretty easy and it subsidized his social security and pension payment.

Last Saturday we returned from an Oasis cruise. We have been cruising for a number of years and have found "normally" it is a good idea to use porters to get through customs and the crowds a bit faster. At any rate when we attempted to do that at Ft Lauderdale cruise terminal last week the porter offered his services for $30 for 3 bags - when I bristled at that he immediately dropped the price to $25. Now we are not cheap people or at least didn't think we were. But it has been the norm over the years to tip $1 a bag to porters. We have consistently tipped $2 a bag - so question is where did the $30 come from?? Is that normal in Ft Lauderdale?? Needless to say we were shocked an did our own bags.

Gr

Going ,generally $10 for 2 large bags .Returning we take our own luggage .

The Median Stevedore pay in South Florida is $43K per year starting; the upper 10% is around $60K per year. That is salary only, exclusive of benefits and cash tips. With benefits packages for Stevedores even those just starting out have a compensation package worth nearly $70,000. Before cash tips!

Earning $15,000 or less in Florida (single person) makes you food assistance program eligible; not $40,000. I don't know too many couples pulling down $80K a year on welfare...

https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/access/docs/fafactsheet.pdf

When we drop off we usually give about $5 for 3 or 4 bags. We used a porter once getting off a ship and tipped $20 but he didn't get us through the line any faster so we don't bother with that service any longer.

They are porters, not stevedores. Porters are the lowest category and are paid the least.

What's your source on the wages? It has long been said that porters are unionised long shoremen making very good cash.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's said by the people who want to justify not tipping. As Mr, Aquahound stated porters are not the high paid folks who load and unload cargo. They are the lowest paid category.

So if I am to understand the (sort-of) trend I see here, most people tip about $3 a bag at drop off, but tip more ($5-10 per bag) if they get a porter who takes them from the departure line, through Customs, and out to the curb.

Seems reasonable...they would spend more work and time on the back end at departure, then when simply shifting transferring bags from the curb to the cruiseline/TSA at embarkation.

Thanks for the information!

You can't compare the waitresses tips with the porters. Unfortunately, the food industry workers rely on tips since most of them only make minimum wage and sometimes less.

They absolutely don't work on tips alone. They are part of a union and make good money even without the tips.

We usually tip no more than a few bucks per bag. The porters at the terminals take your bags and put it in the big carts. That's about all they do. Yes, they do it over and over, but that is what their job is. Then the carts go on to other people who also handle your bags, but don't get tipped. Others unload your bags, etc. And this goes on and on with others not getting tipped. Rest assured, they do not share the tips with the other workers. I don't think that porters should expect it. They should see it as an added thanks from passengers. If someone chooses to tip 20.00 for 2 bags and someone else decides not to tip, they should't complain.

For the people who feel it is "mandatory" to tip porters, how do you feel about the other people handling your bags and not getting any tips?

Does anyone tip the check in people at the airport counters? They put your bags on the conveyer belts which is not much different than the porters who put the bags in the carts.

What about the people who load the bags onto the ships or airplanes?

The list can go on and on.

My husband is an AA pilot and he is not tipped. He gets passengers safely from point a to point b. Does he expect any tips? No and he never would so I don't see why porters do. Their job is not nearly as important as so many other jobs where the people don't get nor expect tips!

I think tipping shouldn't be expected from passengers, but appreciated when they do get them. If I see a porter with an attitude then I will not tip. Often I will give them an attitude back and let them know they will not bully or intimidate me into tipping them more or at all. I am much happier to tip the cabin people or other workers who work their butts off and are very appreciative of it.

Then don't use them....there's certain service categories where tipping is expected, porters,bell men, sky caps are all tipped positions and as such, tipping is expected.

That's from the state of florida welfare website, and i have a relative that works in the "snap" office. that is what is is in 2016. Actually someone making under $48,000 and a family of 3 to be exact! $40,000 and a family of 2 is poverty level. google it BeachChik don't take my word for it.

And my whole point was encouraging folks to be generous. I was making a point that $10.18 as a salary and who knows if it's 40 hours a week is not exactly raking in the dough. What does an extra dollar hurt you?

If that salary is correct, the porter made a career choice to take a job that pays $10.18 per hour for a few hours of work per week. It isn't my problem that he made a bad career choice and I do not feel the need to subsidize his bad career choice. Are we required to subsidize all the people in the US who have made bad career choices.

In my opinion, the answer is NO. Not my problem.

DON

Sheesh. Who the heck cares what these people make? Are they providing a service? Then respond accordingly. Whey do people always have to bring salaries into it? :rolleyes:

By the way, porters are not stevedores. Stevedores are the men and women loading and unloading cargo ships all day every day. The men who take your bags curbside are simply porters...nothing more.

Your doctor and lawyer and accountant provide a service too.

Do you tip them?

Your doctor and lawyer and accountant provide a service too.

Do you tip them?

Your server, bartender, cab driver, valet, hair dresser all provide services - do you tip them? Yes, because like porters, they are tipped positions.

Where are my tips? I provide services to my family every single day of the year and I don't get any tips! :D:D:)

Your point? If you choose to take a position that does not provide any compensation, that's your choice. Isn't that your point?

Your point? If you choose to take a position that does not provide any compensation, that's your choice. Isn't that your point?

Geez louise! I was just trying to lighten up the thread a little......don't take it so seriously. Didn't you see my laughing smiles??

New cruiser here, browsing the boards.

I've been on one cruise and I don't remember even seeing a single porter. Was I blind?

I also don't remember any carts or bins.

It was like at the airport.

We parked the car and drug our bags into the cruise terminal and got in line to check in.

We checked in and gave our bags to the "customer service representative" or what ever they are called in the cruising world.

When we got on board, we went to our cabin and there were our bags.

Coming home, we got off the ship and collected our bags. Unlike the airport, customs and immigration were a snap. We drug our bags to are car and left.

Not a porter, bin, or cart in sight. Is that weird?

Now on tipping. My dad who worked in the airline industry taught me $1 a bag but that was years and years ago. It must be more now. And that was for brief services, not 30 minute services which would certainly deserve more as well.

Then don't use them....there's certain service categories where tipping is expected, porters,bell men, sky caps are all tipped positions and as such, tipping is expected.

We do carry on. Not because of the tips, just like to know where our bags are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry....but I always find it a bit funny that people, who have paid hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars for a cruise, get so upset over tipping the last person who will handle your luggage before going on the ship....:confused::confused:

When I am about to leave on a wonderful cruise..... giving a few dollars to a porter is the least of my worries.

I know others feel strongly about tipping the porters, but this is only my personal opinion.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I tip EVERY person that touches our bags and moves them, a couple dollars per bag. I do it because the workers are polite & it makes me feel good to do something nice. Btw, I have chose to work in the school system and don't make much money but when a child gives me a gift, even the flower from the playground, I'm appreciative & so I try to treat others the same way. YOLO

We usually tip $10-$15. We feel the service and ability of porters either at the port &/or going through customs at the port and airport is well worth it.

There are some who will take advantage... but it is rare. This includes taxi drivers... had a bad one last time in Ft Lauderdale, going to the ship.... but first time, driver made a mistake at the port and had to go around; we told him we would tip him well, that did not help, he dumped us off some distance from where we needed to be. My DH is in his 80s, dealing with a lot of luggage... we were on a TA on Queen Mary.... we did not tip him well needless to say given poor performance.

I agree with the 10-15 dollar advise. These people work hard, carrying our heavy luggage that we don't want to, or can't carry. Not to mention, they know exactly where to go and help us get to the right place to check in, or finding cabs, etc. much easier than on your own with loads of luggage in heat and humidity. They deserve tips, and respect!