Bridge or engine or tours

vankrunk

I'm new to cruising and wondering if HAL does tours of the ship's inner workings, (Bridge,

Engines or Galley). My husband would love that! We are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise on May 28, 2016.

When I was on the Zuiderdaam in Alaska (2013), I went on the "Behind the Scenes" ship tour.

Thoughts....

• Book early on embarkation day to lock in your spot.
  • some of the tour is held during port time.... make sure your port excursion does not conflict with the ship tour
  • you get taken to the "Engine Control Room".... not the Engine Room

Edited by xlxo

I have done the behind the scenes tour and it was one of my favorite experiences on the ship.

Post 9/11 security rules ban passengers from the bridge and engine control room while travel is underway. Those portions of the tour are late afternoon of a port day. The rest of the ship is toured on a sea day.

We received beverages while touring the liquor locker and again at the end of the tour with a private reception in one of the bars.

There was also a bag of goodies that was quite nice.

I don't remember the tour being advertised and I do remember being told it wouldn't be offered unless there was enough interest.

Kevin

I have done the behind the scenes tour and it was one of my favorite experiences on the ship.

Post 9/11 security rules ban passengers from the bridge and engine control room while travel is underway. Those portions of the tour are late afternoon of a port day. The rest of the ship is toured on a sea day.

We received beverages while touring the liquor locker and again at the end of the tour with a private reception in one of the bars.

There was also a bag of goodies that was quite nice.

I don't remember the tour being advertised and I do remember being told it wouldn't be offered unless there was enough interest.

Kevin

We did the tour on Zuiderdam 4 or 5 years ago. It was in the embarkation day's program, but just a tiny blurb, easy to overlook. Fortunately, I'd heard about it here and knew to investigate right away.

Our tour was all on one day, and I think it may have been a sea day. I don't know if they still allow cameras, but when I took the tour, photography was welcome. I've also done the behind-the-scenes tour on QM2. Cunard does not allow cameras on their tour.

We were fortunate to be able to take an engine room tour many years ago. It was on the previous Statendam or Volendam. I forget which, but I know it was on a cruise to Bermuda. Those ships were steam powered. We walked along a narrow catwalk next to the drive shaft, and I remember thinking that if I tripped and fell, I'd be flattened like going through an old-fashioned washing-machine "wringer!":eek:

I did the behind the scenes your if the Nieuw Amsterdam back in the summer of 2012. It included the engine control room and the bridge. Also met the captain and got our photos taken with him. Video and photos were allowed. This was done on a sea day sailing between Italy and Greece.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not exactly correct. Individual lines have their own rules and indeed HAL may "ban" bridge tours while underway but there is no law that all lines must adhere to. Just in March I was on the bridge on another line and we definitely were underway. Not the first time post 9/11.

I'm new to cruising and wondering if HAL does tours of the ship's inner workings, (Bridge,

Engines or Galley). My husband would love that! We are going on the Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise on May 28, 2016.

Posted On Locations from the first cruise of the season to Alaskaon NA by Crews News

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NA16-sea-gala.pdf on pg 4 - Kitchen tour - looks like this one may be free

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/NA16-Day-03-OL-Juneau.pdf page 1

2 part, 3 hour tour $150 per person

My Oosterdam 2012 cruise had it's behind the scenes tour on a sea day. We visited the Bridge and the ECR. The only thing that could be construed an embarrassment was when one of the Azipods was not functioning for the entire season in Alaska. I took video inside the ECR (was permitted) where the controls showed the starboard azipod was commanded not to run while the port azipod was commanded to run at full speed. It was not until the hastily added dry dock in the .au was the azipod corrected in December.

We were on the Oosterdam in Mar. and paid the $150.00/person for the behinds the scene tour. It was divided into 2 days: the 1st was a port day when we toured the Bridge and met some officers and the Captain. We then went to the Engine control room. A few days later ( while at sea) we toured the entertainment dept., laundry, tailors, food storage, liquor locker, and the kitchens. We got glimpses of the staff areas along the way. There were only 8 people on our tour, so it was easy to hear and ask any questions. It probably took 5-6 hrs. in total and was WELL WORTH the COST!! It was in our daily bulletin a few times and we just asked at the front desk and signed up there.

On our recent Zaandam cruise, where they don't do the Behind the Scenes tour, there was a virtual bridge/engine room tour in the show lounge. It was quite good but not as good as the Behind the Scenes tour which I did on the Noordam in 2011. After the presentation by the third officer and the navigation officer, the virtual tour then became a Q&A session. I think most people found it interesting.

I was so looking forward to doing this when I was on the Oosterdam a couple of years ago. Signed up as soon as I could after boarding. Found out there "wasn't enough interest" so they didn't have the tour.

Of course, if they advertised it more than just a tiny mention in the On Location, people might have known about it and been interested.

If this happens to you make sure you review your bill! We were charged for the tour and it wasn't removed until I went to the front office to have the charge removed.

Hope I get to do it next time!

We've been to the bridge twice, I think most ships have a tour of the galley, store rooms but never the engine room. Didn't have to pay for it, I think $150 is a bit much for a tour.

Allan

We've been to the bridge twice, I think most ships have a tour of the galley, store rooms but never the engine room. Didn't have to pay for it, I think $150 is a bit much for a tour.

Allan

Pretty sure there is/or are gift(s), a book?, involved, but I hear ya

Yes, Copper is right. DH and I both got a bag with the ships cook book, a crew show DVD, a photo with the group and the Captain on the bridge, a booklet about the engine and more ship workings, and a photo of the ship. We had drinks and appetizers at the end and were able to ask any last questions. We had another drink at the liquor locker and some snacks in the galley. Like I said earlier, we felt it was well worth it. After ALOT of cruises, we found answers to things we've often wondered about.

I have enjoyed Behind the Scenes Tours on a Carnival ship, a Celebrity ship, and at least 3, maybe 4, on HAL ships. I have learned something on each and every one of them! The best on-board money I spend on a cruise!

My most recent experience was on the Noordam, a b2b cruise. The Front Office staff didn't know what I was talking about when I first inquired. I kept "pestering" them. On the first cruise, after they consulted with the Guest Relations Manager, the tour was not going to be available. Ok, what about the next cruise? Blank looks.

In an early On Location Program on the 2nd cruise, as another poster noted, a tiny blurb noted the opportunity for such a tour. When I saw this, around Midnight, I think, I made immediate haste to the Front Office and got my name on the list. Subject to enough participants was the reply, and that was expected. The tour did take place and it was as interesting and informative as the others.

Our Captain and Hotel Director on this cruise were not very guest oriented, thus no photo with the Captain on the Bridge(did have a tour group photo with our good guide) and the Hotel Director never appeared at the after tour cocktail reception.

On this Message Board, I have been told that I was not telling the truth when I first posted this experience, but on one of my tours my group were very knowledgeable about ships and cruising. Questions were being asked of Department Heads that were insightful. After the Chief Engineer finished his presentation and answered questions while we were in the Engine Control Room, he said: "Now, I'll take you down into the Engine Room." I thought to myself: I did not hear that correctly. Did I? Well, I did. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but we saw the machine shop, we walked along the walkway and saw mechanical parts in obvious motion. I'll never forget it! I credit this to being a part of a group whose questions warranted such a visit to such a special place on a ship.

Bottom line: if the experience is available and your interest is in that direction: Book the Tour!

Back before 9/11, we were on the Norwegian Crown, (now the Balmoral). We dined one evening at the officer's table, where we met the ship's Chief Engineer. Because I also carried the title of Chief Engineer, (but not a ship, it was for a television network), we struck up a nice conversation with him. He offered us a tour of the Engine Control Room and the full engine room. This was in 1998, when tours like this were allowed. We saw the many diesel/electric generators, the drive shafts, powered by huge electric motors. Azipods were not used on this ship, it was conventional diesel/electric drive and rudder. We also saw the desalinization plant, the waste water plant, and the electrical distribution. There was only DW and I on this tour, so it was very personal. We were issued hearing protection due to the unbelievable noise of the huge diesel engines. Many work stations in the engine room had playboy calendars hanging. We also saw the captain's quarters and the bridge. We will never get a tour like this in today's world, and, it was totally free !!

......................... After the Chief Engineer finished his presentation and answered questions while we were in the Engine Control Room, he said: "Now, I'll take you down into the Engine Room." I thought to myself: I did not hear that correctly. Did I? Well, I did. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but we saw the machine shop, we walked along the walkway and saw mechanical parts in obvious motion. I'll never forget it! I credit this to being a part of a group whose questions warranted such a visit to such a special place on a ship.

Bottom line: if the experience is available and your interest is in that direction: Book the Tour!

Consider yourself a lucky person! :) That's usually not done; too many small ladders to go down and scale back up/tripping/falling hazards if you're not used to it. I take it they gave you hearing protection for that part?

A tour we did, gratis, about 8 years ago was so interesting and informative.

Massively oversized generators, engines, the shaft turning at speed, the spic and span aspect of the whole area, the noise, the heat!!!

Really a must for the serious cruiser. Seriously increased our respect for the crew who work there, day after day.

What an experience!

Pretty sure there is/or are gift(s), a book?, involved, but I hear ya

The paid ship's tour includes some pretty nice swag. If you are interested in learning more about the inner workings of the ship, it's well worth it. It's also worthwhile if your wife/spouse/travelling companion wants to be rid of you for the better part of a day.

On our recent Zaandam cruise, where they don't do the Behind the Scenes tour, there was a virtual bridge/engine room tour in the show lounge. It was quite good but not as good as the Behind the Scenes tour which I did on the Noordam in 2011. After the presentation by the third officer and the navigation officer, the virtual tour then became a Q&A session. I think most people found it interesting.

Yes, we did that on Eurodam back in October 2014. It was pretty neat!

The paid ship's tour includes some pretty nice swag. If you are interested in learning more about the inner workings of the ship, it's well worth it. It's also worthwhile if your wife/spouse/travelling companion wants to be rid of you for the better part of a day.

True that; would never apply to you though ;)

Kevin

This is obviously a HAL decision because we have been on more behinds the scenes tours than we can count, but not on HAL. Both Celebrity and Azamara (as well as other smaller lines) routinely do bridge and engine control room tours while the ship is underway. Neither charge you and all you have to do is ask.

HAL it seems has also stopped doing the free galley tours that used to be a signature of the line, while both the other lines mentioned do them it seems on every cruise.

We did do one tour on HAL (not the bridge) but a real behind the scenes tour that went to the crew quarters, but we were invited.

I can understand why HAL doesn't include any of these since they figured they can charge for them. I remember when they used to do the galley tour on every cruise and it was always the morning of the Royal Dutch Tea. They would have an ice carver and they would be working on a sculpture that ended up the center piece at tea later in the day. On the last 2 or 3 HAL cruise they no longer had an ice carver.

Edited by Jade13