The Myth of the Royal Cheerleader

Well for me it is a little different.

In grade school tried out for the 8th. grade cheer leading squad.

Did not make it.:(

Scarred for life;)

So now I am just used to being in the stands and watching others and support when I feel my "team" is doing what I want.

Since it is not a perfect world and many changes have happened lately, it seems I back them less and less, but still with the changes have great cruising experiences.

So for now........................

It is what it is...................

Have a great day.

Ive used the term before but I actually hate it now, think its way overused and try to avoid it at all costs now. There are one or two members here that will attack at the least little criticism of RC whatsoever. On the other hand, there are one or two members who throw the cheerleader card every time they get a chance.

Your post is a good one Paul. Hopefully it stays civil and is allowed to stay. If I use the term again, please, throw something at me :cool:

Calling someone names (in this case RCI cheerleader) is a juvenile way to deal with something you don't agree with. I hate the term because the person using usually doesn't like that everyone doesn't agree with them.

Even someone who defends RCI in every situation is entitled to their opinion and to call them a cheerleader is just name calling and honestly comes across as such.

My favorites are when someone makes their very first post to complain about something that no one else has ever encountered or questions the authenticity of the post and a few posters automatically cry "cheerleader" when others question the veracity of the claim. Guess what? There are people who spend all day long trolling on threads and making stuff up.

And, some with legitimate complaints only come on to find out how to get compensation or to poison the well to get revenge. If I question someone it's because my radar is going off and I'm pretty good at reading bs most of the time.

Edited by BND

First, just because YOU think something is petty doesn’t mean everyone on the planet thinks it’s petty…and it isn’t your place to decide what is important to other people. Most of the world may agree with you, but that is completely irrelevant. If it is important to the person making a complaint, then it is important for THAT conversation. If it is that petty to you, why disagree? Move on.

Actually, I don't mind if, when I have a complaint that I think is something important, someone else says they think it's minor or "petty." It's a view from a different perspective. It may or may not change my mind about it, but I don't think only those who agree with me should respond.

Calling someone names (in this case RCI cheerleader) is a juvenile way to deal with something you don't agree with. I hate the term because the person using usually doesn't like that everyone doesn't agree with them.

Even someone who defends RCI in every situation is entitled to their opinion and to call them a cheerleader is just name calling and honestly comes across as such.

Cant argue with that. There is one particular poster here that when defending RC in every situation, launches in to attack mode and comes across as very nasty and has called people names such as idiot and other derogatory names as well though. That is far beyond having an opinion.

Edited by ryano

have you been on specialized message boards a lot?

This kind of dichotomy seems to happen on every board. Usually at the point where somebody disagrees with someone else.

Someone complains about something. Someone else either says they don't think it's that big a deal, says the poster could have fixed the issue if they'd known about such and such, that sort of thing, instead of commiserating, which is pretty much all the original poster wanted. Sometimes you do get crazy arguments but that is what moderators are for.

Edited by makiramarlena

Cant argue with that. There is one particular poster here that when defending RC in every situation, launches in to attack mode and comes across as very nasty and has called people names such as idiot and other derogatory names as well though. That is far beyond having an opinion.

And, that is where the moderators come in. I'm pretty sure it's against the rules so those posts need to be removed and dealt with. I agree with the problem of derogatory name calling, but the use of the term "cheerleader" has nothing to do with that. I think we all agree that there are some people who only know how to debate by being nasty.

Edited by BND

I have an Apple phone, and anytime I post somewhere even in passing that I have an Apple phone there is someone who has to mention that they disagree with my choice of an Apple phone. Hey I like my Apple phone. I don't care that you don't. It's not your phone.

There's that sort of thing on every board.

Edited by makiramarlena

I love the posts from the what appear to be "new kid on the block" (poster with 5 posts), who drops a vague or nondescript "flame" post about his / her experience on a ship, a service that wasn't provided or the hassle they had at disembarkation, and then simply "leaves". Doesn't provide any further detail or explanation. Then sits back and watch's as everyone takes sides and squabbles......

I love the posts from the what appear to be "new kid on the block" (poster with 5 posts), who drops a vague or nondescript "flame" post about his / her experience on a ship, a service that wasn't provided or the hassle they had at disembarkation, and then simply "leaves". Doesn't provide any further detail or explanation. Then sits back and watch's as everyone takes sides and squabbles......

Yesterday I realized that even though I have been on CC for years, I sort of appear as a "new kid", because I've posted just a handful of times :) I'm going to try to be a more active participant now. I also need to be better about actually posting reviews, instead of just reading other peoples reviews!

Yesterday I realized that even though I have been on CC for years, I sort of appear as a "new kid", because I've posted just a handful of times :) I'm going to try to be a more active participant now. I also need to be better about actually posting reviews, instead of just reading other peoples reviews!

My contributions skyrocketed, much to the chagrin of some, when I got a smart phone two or three years ago. Prior to that I only accessed the site via my computer. Never really done a review, but I have posted a few 'live' threads. They can be informative if the connection is good

Hey look, I'm a new kid too! Been a member since 2001 and only have 300+ posts, jeez....

For what it's worth--I don't think that the existence of Royal Caribbean "cheerleaders"--meaning people who seem to resent any criticism of "their" cruise line--is a myth. Unlike the Loch Ness Monster, they exist. On the other hand, this is true on every single cruise line board and I have not noticed the percentage of Royal Caribbean cheerleaders and critics being different than on other boards.

I hadn't noticed that too many posts accused others of being "cheerleaders," but I have not really paid much attention to this.

So, just curious about others' thoughts. Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize?

Yup !!!

Is that mostly myth?

Nope. It is definitely a real thing.

All you have to do is go hunt up that Anthem of the Seas thread where people who were on the ship during the storm were posting and being called liars and attacked by the Royal Cheerleaders.

Even Royal Caribbean themselves apologized for that sailing:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1231/statement-on-anthem-of-the-seas-royal-caribbean-international-february-10-2016/

but not the Royal Cheerleaders. ;)

Yup !!!

Nope. It is definitely a real thing.

All you have to do is go hunt up that Anthem of the Seas thread where people who were on the ship during the storm were posting and being called liars and attacked by the Royal Cheerleaders.

Even Royal Caribbean themselves apologized for that sailing:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1231/statement-on-anthem-of-the-seas-royal-caribbean-international-february-10-2016/

but not the Royal Cheerleaders. ;)

You mean the one where people on the ship were claiming the ship was listing at a 45 degree angle? Can't suggest they are wrong, of course, because they're on the ship and you're not . . . :p

You mean the one where people on the ship were claiming the ship was listing at a 45 degree angle? Can't suggest they are wrong, of course, because they're on the ship and you're not . . . :p

Yeah, the Royal Cheerleaders are experts in science, math, physics, history, seamanship, etc. and have never been wrong.

If they tell you that you have no justification to be scared or fearful then you do not. Pffft.

:)

I've seen new ship cheerleaders when someone asks if they should go on an old ship for $1000 or the new ship for $4000. Many people say the new ship!

How does the desire of wanting to be on a new ship mean someone is a "cheerleader?"

I don't get that correlation.

First, just because YOU think something is petty doesn’t mean everyone on the planet thinks it’s petty…and it isn’t your place to decide what is important to other people. Most of the world may agree with you, but that is completely irrelevant. If it is important to the person making a complaint, then it is important for THAT conversation. If it is that petty to you, why disagree? Move on.

So you basically agree that we can disagree. As it's not your place either to decide what other people's opinions are valid or important, too.

If it's that petty to YOU, why call someone a cheerleader, telling the original complainer that the cheerleader's opinion is not valid for some reason?

We can ALL have opinion and experience. Many who point their experience is different would like to see others try again, or whatever like that.

Just as you see no reason for others to disagree with petty issues, there's no reason for you do dismiss them, too. That's equally as petty.

Yeah, the Royal Cheerleaders are experts in science, math, physics, history, seamanship, etc. and have never been wrong.

If they tell you that you have no justification to be scared or fearful then you do not. Pffft.

Not to say that cheerleaders don't exist but that probably isn't the best example. There actually was an expert on the boards that disputed the 45 degree list along with other passengers that were on the ship. Didn't the Coast Guard commend the captain in that situation? I just think the label is abused.

How does the desire of wanting to be on a new ship mean someone is a "cheerleader?"

I don't get that correlation.

I like to cruise and would rather have 4 cruises at $1000 piece than 1 cruise at $4000. Some live to cheer-lead for the new ships.

I like to cruise and would rather have 4 cruises at $1000 piece than 1 cruise at $4000. Some live to cheer-lead for the new ships.

I get the idea of cruising 4 times to one. Great.

But people wanting to go new- I still don't see that as being a cheerleader. It's just wanting the new toy on the block.

Did you label the first person on your block with a $1000 color TV a cheerleader?

Not to say that cheerleaders don't exist but that probably isn't the best example. There actually was an expert on the boards that disputed the 45 degree list along with other passengers that were on the ship. Didn't the Coast Guard commend the captain in that situation? I just think the label is abused.

Its a terrible example IMO. Im almost convinced there were people participating in that thread that said they were on the ship but really werent on the ship at all. Funny how some of them just appeared out of nowhere with no history of posts of going on that particular cruise, no roll call participation or anything. Some of the stuff they posted just didnt line up with other guests that were actually there either. Combined that with a whole lot of trolling from members of other cruise lines trolling this forum as well calling for the Captains head and it was just a mess all around.

While we are on the subject though, the CG did commend Captain Claus for his efforts in that situation. There were emails of support sent to Michael Bayley's office each responded to with the same canned response of how Captain Claus was a great man and would be back soon yet there still is no Captain Claus. I do wonder if he will ever be back on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Edited by ryano

I must of missed the part you made up about people being told they have no justification for being scared. ;)

They disputed everything the people on board said. They said the wind wasn't that strong ... the waves weren't that big ... everything was fine ... Royal is perfect so shut up and enjoy your cruise. I mean you are getting free stuff from the mini-bar. Geez

It was disgraceful. I read that entire thread for days (but I don't think I ever commented) and if you really want to identify the worst of the worst of the Royal Cheerleaders then go read it. :)

They disputed everything the people on board said. They said the wind wasn't that strong ... the waves weren't that big ... everything was fine ... Royal is perfect so shut up and enjoy your cruise. I mean you are getting free stuff from the mini-bar. Geez

It was disgraceful. I read that entire thread for days (but I don't think I ever commented) and if you really want to identify the worst of the worst of the Royal Cheerleaders then go read it. :)

Already read it too and I'll respectfully ;) disagree with your characterization but refuse to rehash the entire story. :)