The Myth of the Royal Cheerleader

Not to say that cheerleaders don't exist but that probably isn't the best example. There actually was an expert on the boards that disputed the 45 degree list along with other passengers that were on the ship. Didn't the Coast Guard commend the captain in that situation? I just think the label is abused.

I totally agree. If anything, that thread is an example for the other extreme on CC....trolls! There were people posting under multiple screen names who weren't on the ship. Fortunately, CC caught on to them and most of those posts have been removed.

And yes, the USCG did commend the Captain and trust me, USCG inspectors certainly are not cheerleaders of any cruise line. A history of indictments are proof of that.

sorry, I don't understand - :confused: what do guns have to do with this topic?

Because in my first reply in this thread, I cited several examples, Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy, Glock vs Sig, etc. They are all very personal decisions that people can get very defensive over, and was used as a comparison of people being defensive of their preferred cruise line. Same thing - different product, and then another comment was made equating Glock to Carnival (whether they meant "cheap" or more popular due to brand saturation is up for debate - I chose the "cheap" implication).

Some things can tend to be very personal decisions for various reasons, whether it's truly fit and finish, ease of use, following the crowd, not following the crowd, being a shareholder of said company, etc. Either way, people can get extremely defensive and nasty in their defense.

That and it's also another form of relaxation and therapy as well as an enjoyable hobby, just as cruising is.

and they can just as easily get nasty in their tendency to bash the competitor of their preferred brand.

I maintain that 90% of the time that I see someone being called a "cheerleader" on these board, the person is in fact just trying to be levelheaded and not bash or cheer but in fact stay more neutral and reasonable. IE--when you refuse to join in unwarranted bashing and even point out why it is unwarranted---the bashers decide you must be a cheerleader.

It's really silly to get so worked up to extremes--and to dismiss reasoned advice from people with some knowledge of the industry (in various capacities here on CC) as just cheer-leading because you want to be angry or want rules bent for you or whatnot, and certainly makes it harder for newcomers to weed through and find information which might help them make the best decision for themselves (which may or may not be any particular brand--or it may not be cruising at all).

Likewise--I think it is odd that some here have focused on claiming that "cheerleaders" tell posters they did not have the experience they did. I have not really seen that, other than in the case of explaining how much list there actually was on Anthem to one poster who was onboard and frightened and feeling like it was more than it was (and I imagine that feeling would be normal, no one said it didn't FEEL that way--only reassured it was not as bad as it felt). What I often see, which I feel is valid, is people explaining that someone's expectations were not realistic based on the norms for the product, or that the rules for refunds, etc or across the board and normal in the industry and the person is not really being signaled out and mistreated by being denied a refund, or that news is in fact reporting on Zika in the UK (even if the poster missed it, other UK posters have seen plenty, which gives the cruise line a case for assuming the poster knew), etc.

IE--not denying that anyone experienced anythign in a certain way--but explaining how their perception of what the line should do for them, is skewed by lacking some information about what the norm is, etc. Again--information which should hopefully help them make better decisions for themselves in future and help new people make better decisions from the get go.

Edited by NHDisneylover

sorry, I don't understand - :confused: what do guns have to do with this topic?

Have Gun - Will Travel. Gun owners love to cruise and travel. Just don't get into an argument with them about 7.62 vs 5.56.

Have Gun - Will Travel. Gun owners love to cruise and travel. Just don't get into an argument with them about 7.62 vs 5.56.

Same goes for 9, .40, .45ACP as well - yet another heavily beaten topic.

Regardless of what we are discussing, I also agree that people can become very aggressive in bashing their brand competitors as well. I don't know that it's so much "blind faith" as I've heard it described before. With cruise lines, some of these high ranking members may very well have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get where they are, and may need justification for their expenditure. They don't want someone talking bad about or giving reasons to doubt, all of the money they have spent to get to the level they are at.

I think a lot of people, like me, tend to accentuate the positive where their cruises are concerned and become mislabeled as "Cheerleaders". I cannot think of a vacation, of any kind, where there wasn't a glitch of some sort. Some people will use those glitches, unfortunately, to make their cruises seem like the worst in the world, and anyone who challenges their thoughts are cheerleaders. Sometimes these comments, as they go back and forth, are entertaining. They do get tiring after a while.

We have become, primarily, RCI cruisers because we like the brand more than the rest. That doesn't make us cheerleaders. We still intend to cruise Princess again, and try out other lines, as well.

For us, we have only cruised on Royal. We have never had a cruise that did not have something go awry.....but nothing, nothing so critical that it had impacted my cruise to the point of the cruise being 'terrible'. People have labelled me a 'cheerleader' perhaps because of my 'positive attitude' or because DH and I have not yet chosen to cruise on another line (maybe both things). From my perspective, I try to be realistic in my expectations and therefore, in the end.....if we go safely and come home safely having fun in both directions....whatever happens in the interim can be managed well. Whatever little hiccups have happened, have been handled onboard. That is the way I like it.

For us, we have only cruised on Royal. We have never had a cruise that did not have something go awry.....but nothing, nothing so critical that it had impacted my cruise to the point of the cruise being 'terrible'. People have labelled me a 'cheerleader' perhaps because of my 'positive attitude' or because DH and I have not yet chosen to cruise on another line (maybe both things). From my perspective, I try to be realistic in my expectations and therefore, in the end.....if we go safely and come home safely having fun in both directions....whatever happens in the interim can be managed well. Whatever little hiccups have happened, have been handled onboard. That is the way I like it.

Nicely said.

Thank you.

Your post speaks volumes.

Have a great day.

Safe travels.

Great attitude. This has pretty much been our experiences too. A few little things not quite right, some things handled very quickly. We always talk about the good things that took place, the few not so good, we kinda forget about as they are no big deal

Nicely said.

Thank you.

Your post speaks volumes.

Have a great day.

Safe travels.

Great attitude. This has pretty much been our experiences too. A few little things not quite right, some things handled very quickly. We always talk about the good things that took place, the few not so good, we kinda forget about as they are no big deal

If either of you want to use my feelings....go ahead.....or anyone else for that matter....life is so so short, I try to be honest and assess things accurately.

I've been fortunate enough to never have been on a "cruise from hell." None of our cruises have ever been 100% perfect, as it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to possibly please every customer. Every cruise has had minor hiccups, but none that have ever left me with the sentiment that I will never sail with them again. Our worst cruise experience, in general, was on a 10 day Princess cruise. That, however, was no fault of the cruise line whatsoever. It was simply a matter of obnoxious and annoying fellow passengers, which Princess was able to address, somewhat. Very rarely have I encountered rude service staff, though have run across a few who were a bit less than enthusiastic. Overall, no deal breakers, though. We can only afford to cruise every few years, so we have to make the best of every trip, so would rather try and focus on the positive aspects, and a glancing nod to the less-than-perfect aspects.

I've been fortunate enough to never have been on a "cruise from hell." None of our cruises have ever been 100% perfect, as it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to possibly please every customer. Every cruise has had minor hiccups, but none that have ever left me with the sentiment that I will never sail with them again. Our worst cruise experience, in general, was on a 10 day Princess cruise. That, however, was no fault of the cruise line whatsoever. It was simply a matter of obnoxious and annoying fellow passengers, which Princess was able to address, somewhat. Very rarely have I encountered rude service staff, though have run across a few who were a bit less than enthusiastic. Overall, no deal breakers, though. We can only afford to cruise every few years, so we have to make the best of every trip, so would rather try and focus on the positive aspects, and a glancing nod to the less-than-perfect aspects.

Now if we could only figure out how to get rid of those obnoxious and annoying fellow passengers.....because I so agree, so much of what happens on a ship that could 'dampen' a cruise experience is more often a result of things that the cruise line had no control over.

The best thing was the thread where I got called a Royal Cheerleader and a Royal Hater within the span of about 2 dozen posts.

People love to name call and they love to diminish the opinions of others by lumping that person into what they consider a derogatory group.

"Oh you're just a LIBERAL! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CONSERVATIVE! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a CHEERLEADER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a HATER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a FERNHIZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

"Oh you're just a BEBOZZLER! I don't have to listen to you!"

Really, it doesn't matter what word you put in there. You are just using that sort of statement to categorically dismiss their entire view and promote your own.

It doesn't matter what the person says, you just want them to shut up and everyone else to agree with you.

I actually googled Fernhizzler and Bebozzler because I was like "what the heck is a Fernhizzler???" and both times this thread was the only result!!!! :p:D LMAO!!! Silly me!

Now if we could only figure out how to get rid of those obnoxious and annoying fellow passengers.....because I so agree, so much of what happens on a ship that could 'dampen' a cruise experience is more often a result of things that the cruise line had no control over.

Well, the issues we had were twofold. One, is that there was a large number if seniors on board - which in and of itself is not an issue. It is, however, when you end up with bloody ankles due to being hit multiple times with mobility scooters. Thankfully, there were only a few isolated incidents. The major concern was with one large extended family who were spread across 3 cabins directly across the hall from us. Instead of using the phones or walking from cabin to cabin to talk to each other, they left their cabin doors open and YELLED from cabin to cabin, and many times until about 2am. They also tended to be extremely loud. After calling security time and time again, they were finally told that they would be fined if the complaints against them continued (apparently the two cabins next to us also complained). After day 5, they FINALLY got the hint and were more respectful. Again, in no way were these incidents within the control of Princess. You can't control other people's actions and you can't fix stoopid (intentional misspelling).

Well, the issues we had were twofold. One, is that there was a large number if seniors on board - which in and of itself is not an issue. It is, however, when you end up with bloody ankles due to being hit multiple times with mobility scooters. Thankfully, there were only a few isolated incidents. The major concern was with one large extended family who were spread across 3 cabins directly across the hall from us. Instead of using the phones or walking from cabin to cabin to talk to each other, they left their cabin doors open and YELLED from cabin to cabin, and many times until about 2am. They also tended to be extremely loud. After calling security time and time again, they were finally told that they would be fined if the complaints against them continued (apparently the two cabins next to us also complained). After day 5, they FINALLY got the hint and were more respectful. Again, in no way were these incidents within the control of Princess. You can't control other people's actions and you can't fix stoopid (intentional misspelling).

No cruisers should behave the way the cruisers you encountered across the hall from you. A cruise ship is not a 'college dorm' where during Greek Week you might see some ridiculous behavior. The cruise line after the very first call, should have made their point crystal clear -- especially since you were not the only complaining cruisers. But like any business, they struggle when it comes to possible offending any paying customer,,,,but to me, you are just as important a 'paying customer' and the offenders in this case.

As to the mobility scooter issue.....I try to remember that one day in the future, that person in the mobility scooter might be me. I don't understand how you ended up with bloody ankles since you have the ability to move out of their way.

I live in S. Florida, so people in mobility scooters are 'aplenty'.