The Myth of the Royal Cheerleader

Already read it too and I'll respectfully ;) disagree with your characterization but refuse to rehash the entire story. :)

That's part of the behavior I've noticed, too - exaggerating and making up things that these "cheerleaders" have supposedly said. I think some of the time they actually believe it was as they describe. Interesting phenomenon.

While we are on the subject though, the CG did commend Captain Claus for his efforts in that situation. There were emails of support sent to Michael Bayley's office each responded to with the same canned response of how Captain Claus was a great man and would be back soon yet there still is no Captain Claus. I do wonder if he will ever be back on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Apparently he is still with the company.

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/On-Board-Harmony-of-the-Seas-Part-One

So you basically agree that we can disagree. As it's not your place either to decide what other people's opinions are valid or important, too.

If it's that petty to YOU, why call someone a cheerleader, telling the original complainer that the cheerleader's opinion is not valid for some reason?

We can ALL have opinion and experience. Many who point their experience is different would like to see others try again, or whatever like that.

Just as you see no reason for others to disagree with petty issues, there's no reason for you do dismiss them, too. That's equally as petty.

I don't think I said anyone's opinion was not valid...but please, go back to my original post and quote it if I did. Otherwise, please refrain from telling me what I did or did not say.

I also didn't say I was dismissing the "rebuttals". And personally, I don't think pointing out when someone is minimizing the unpleasant/unfortunate experiences of others is being petty...but we may have different definitions of petty.

I think knowing who the "cheerleaders" are is quite valuable. Because just as we can view a negative review of someone with less than 5 post with a grain of salt...we can also take a rave review from someone who thinks RCI flarts perfume with a grain salt. Of course, I take virtually every review with a grain of salt.

I may be one of the people everyone is talking about…I have said a poster is a “cheerleader” a few times.

I don't think I said anyone's opinion was not valid...but please, go back to my original post and quote it if I did. Otherwise, please refrain from telling me what I did or did not say.

I also didn't say I was dismissing the "rebuttals". And personally, I don't think pointing out when someone is minimizing the unpleasant/unfortunate experiences of others is being petty...but we may have different definitions of petty.

I think knowing who the "cheerleaders" are is quite valuable. Because just as we can view a negative review of someone with less than 5 post with a grain of salt...we can also take a rave review from someone who thinks RCI flarts perfume with a grain salt. Of course, I take virtually every review with a grain of salt.

yes, you did. That's the point of the issue of calling someone a "cheerleader".

Do you not read that people take that label as dismissing their opinion?

Calling someone a cheerleader seem darned petty to me.

So, just curious about others' thoughts. Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize?

Well, before I start reading your replies, I thought I'd throw in a couple of quick blurbs. With over 1million active users you will see everything if you stick around. (I think its been 10 years for me) The facebook groups are a big source of that "myth: but as they get bigger you see it more there.

I think the attacks are less than they may have been recently, but if someone's first post is an attack on the cruise line, that will always be met with skepticism and counter attack.

yes, you did. That's the point of the issue of calling someone a "cheerleader".

Do you not read that people take that label as dismissing their opinion?

Calling someone a cheerleader seem darned petty to me.

Yes, I have read that some take that as dismissing...I don't.

Personally, I don't let what most people (especially total strangers) think of me or say about me bother me in the least. There are only four people on the planet who's personal opinion of me matter at all...and I don't think any of them have commented on this board.

They disputed everything the people on board said. They said the wind wasn't that strong ... the waves weren't that big ... everything was fine ... Royal is perfect so shut up and enjoy your cruise. I mean you are getting free stuff from the mini-bar. Geez

It was disgraceful. I read that entire thread for days (but I don't think I ever commented) and if you really want to identify the worst of the worst of the Royal Cheerleaders then go read it. :)

Maybe you should go read the forum registration agreement, no cheerleaders here, just "fans"

"se are moderated message boards. What this means is that we do our best to remove all objectionable messages from the boards. It also means that you cannot say whatever you'd like on the forums. If you are looking for an "anything goes" setting, Cruise Critic might not be the place for you. Understand, too, that our community is comprised of folks who LOVE to cruise. It therefore stands to reason that they will have a favorite cruise line or port of call -- in other words, they are "fans" and will sometimes take offense when a brand new member has arrived on the scene to bash a cruise line."

I've said all I really wanted to say about the existence of Royal Cheerleaders so I am done on this thread.

Besides, I am wearing out my mouse button by clicking 'View Post' since so many people on this thread are already on my ignore list. :p:p:p

Its a terrible example IMO. Im almost convinced there were people participating in that thread that said they were on the ship but really werent on the ship at all. Funny how some of them just appeared out of nowhere with no history of posts of going on that particular cruise, no roll call participation or anything. Some of the stuff they posted just didnt line up with other guests that were actually there either. Combined that with a whole lot of trolling from members of other cruise lines trolling this forum as well calling for the Captains head and it was just a mess all around.

While we are on the subject though, the CG did commend Captain Claus for his efforts in that situation. There were emails of support sent to Michael Bayley's office each responded to with the same canned response of how Captain Claus was a great man and would be back soon yet there still is no Captain Claus. I do wonder if he will ever be back on a Royal Caribbean ship.

No. :( He will not.

I am sure every line has its "cheerleaders" (people who think teh line can do no wrong) but I feel like 90% of the time that term is thrown out here it is against someone posting in a levelheaded and reasoned way---basically if you do not jump on the bandwagon of hating RCI for some over the top super dramatic rant you are labeled a cheerleader by a handful of frequent posters--and that is just not constructive at all.

Already read it too and I'll respectfully ;) disagree with your characterization but refuse to rehash the entire story. :)

I read it, most of it as the issue was happening, and agree with you.

Anyone who was level headed and logical was accused of being a cheerleader by some of the most over the top posters.

Did you read the article posted by a PP?

He's currently giving statements to the press about Harmony--so he is still around in at least some capacity--and fairly publicly so.

Around in some capacity but not in command of a Royal Caribbean ship :) We were told he was currently assisting with the investigation "and will be returning to the Anthem of the Seas shortly" four months ago. Desk job maybe? :confused:

On another note, I think you nailed it in your first post of this thread. Very well said on all accounts.

The more I spend time on this board lately, the more I'm convinced that certain people just want to promote the idea that this is a place filled with "cheerleaders" who think Royal Caribbean can do no wrong. They either believe, or want to make others believe, that you can't say anything at all negative about RC without being "attacked" or "flamed" or "shot down" . . .

I see that as an false myth that gets perpetuated, negatively affecting the board as a whole. Now, it is certainly true that the occasional poster is a bit too one-sided, but in general, most people who argue or dispute someone's complaint only do so when they believe the complaint is unwarranted or overblown.

Most of us who have sailed RC a number of times have had some complaints here and there - some minor, and some more significant. And those who share their negative comments don't necessarily get met with much opposition. A couple recent examples include:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357969

(This one had a few predictions of backlash toward the OP, but they didn't really come true.)

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2346266&highlight=serenade

So, just curious about others' thoughts. Is the board as a whole really hostile toward those who would dare criticize? Is that mostly myth? Or is it somewhere in the middle. I see a poster getting overly hostile from time to time, but more often than not, when that happens, the thread gets derailed by people shouting down that person for being too hostile. (I usually find it better to ignore and move on.)

No I don't think this board as a WHOLE is hostile to those who criticize. There are a few individuals I could think off whom I can term cheerleaders of RCL, but it's certainly not as a whole or the majority. I often ask my self why do some folks jump all over others when they are just usually quoting their experience. What drives these people to defend something that is not even theirs to the extent of criticizing the individual who may be just sharing their experience . The only explanation I can come up with is that they must be stock holders and just doing their part to protect their interest.

No I don't think this board as a WHOLE is hostile to those who criticize. There are a few individuals I could think off whom I can term cheerleaders of RCL, but it's certainly not as a whole or the majority. I often ask my self why do some folks jump all over others when they are just usually quoting their experience. What drives these people to defend something that is not even theirs to the extent of criticizing the individual who may be just sharing their experience . The only explanation I can come up with is that they must be stock holders and just doing their part to protect their interest.

I think a lot of it stems from the way someone presents their poor experience. If someone explains things a bit in detai, like what they did to attempt to resolve the issue, what led up to the issue, how staff reacted, etc, etc, people are much more accepting of the problem. But when someone comes on to CC for the first time ever and posts some crazy complaint with no other information and then fails to return to answer questions, it gets rather annoying and makes people angry. Sometimes it might even be a troll. Also, what some people view as cheerleading, is just someone trying to be a little more understanding of the other side of the story, especially when little info is given, because as we know, some people like to cause a huge ruckus out of nothing.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Well, I encountered some of these cheerleaders when I was on a roll call a while ago, and boy they were rude! There's no way I would have gone to that Meet & Mingle. They represented Royal quite poorly. In this forum, though there are quite a few loyals, I don't see the extreme rudeness that I encountered on that roll call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glock = Carnival...Sig = Royal Caribbean. :D

LOL. I'm personally a fan of Springfield and HK. Own 2 Springfields, 1 Ruger, and am trying to save up for an HK VP40. So many wishes, not enough funding - have to pay for cruising too!

I wouldn't use the term cheerleader but I do think that there are people so firmly in the Royal club and it is such a big a part of their lives that they do overdo the criticism when someone new posts of their disappointment with their first cruise with Royal.

Sometimes the people in the club have a great deal of experience and seem to forget that not everyone has the knowledge about how to maximise the Royal experience or how to fix things when things go wrong (eg on board). Status can make a difference too.

I think it is quite pompous to doubt the veracity of someone's experience after one post by the OP. No wonder the OP sometimes doesn't come back. Also I was always taught (and have taught my child) to simply ignore the internet trolls - so responding if you think someone's post is from a troll simply feeds their game.

If the OP is genuine then kind discussion and advice is a chance to get them to try the Royal experience again.

Edited by lucymorgan

LOL. I'm personally a fan of Springfield and HK. Own 2 Springfields, 1 Ruger, and am trying to save up for an HK VP40. So many wishes, not enough funding - have to pay for cruising too!

Ok

Good morning.

I"m too lazy to google.

What are these?

Thanks