Harmony still a "construction site"

5/28/16:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/27/harmony-of-the-seas-is-a-building-site-claim-passengers/

'Overflowing urinals, uncovered drains and muddy carpets' - Harmony of the Seas cruise liner is a 'building site', claim irate passengers

Royal:

the 'early sailings' were reflected in the 'great value' of the trips.

Wonder how much cheaper it was than a regular sailing?

(and includes pic of Overflowing urinals. )

Edited by fstuff1

Just reinforces my viewpoint of

-No new ships for 6 months

-No ships out of drydock for 1 month

-No ships going to dry dock in 2 to 4 weeks.

Apply to all cruise lines

Good rule. I'd also add no ships w/in 6 months of getting sold.

No doubt some (or many) work still going on, but after watching some pictures from the four and three night cruises, I would say that some passenger may be suffering of "environmental depression": bad weather, low temperatures, everything looks gray and sad. I'm sure once it gets the Mediterranean, the attitude of the passengers will change dramatically.

You hit it on the head.

We had Ovation Maiden 5 night booked. They then a 3 night before it.

To add the 3 it would have cost us around £1700 all in for a cruise around the English Channel in poor weather.

We changed to Celebrity Constellation from Rome for 12 nights around the Greek Islands in sunshine for the same price.

Close to the sail away we were having some regrets but once in Rome and in the sunshine, Ovation was all forgotten about. After the 5 nighter we still had 6 nights to go.

I had several emails from a friend on board Harmony. She was very unhappy about the state of the ship and had to make numerous complaints. She is still on board as well as another friend. I haven't heard anything from them so assume that the conditions on the second cruise are better.

I was on Ovation for the pre-inaugural and maiden and there were no real issues. My first breakfast in the MDR took one and a half hours - good job it was a sea day!:)

"These early sailings were made possible due to the early delivery of the ship and we hope this has been reflected in the great value offering guests secured for their holiday."

wonder how much cheaper it was vs normal pricing?

Edited by fstuff1

it's interesting to read Royal's response to this one..

they acknowledge that the glass panel was indeed missing..

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14522340.Parents__safety_horror_on__shambolic__Harmony_of_the_Seas/?commentSort=score

Thank you for this link. It proves my statement correct and accurate. Just waiting for Swoppy2110 to re-track their statement ?

Sorry, hadn't read that one - ha ha ha ha ha - now that did make me laugh.

As if they'd risk anyone falling off the ship :rolleyes:

I agree re the hovering - it is called keeping the ship clean - but I do think those long trailing cables are just waiting for a H&S claim, as any business knows.

Have just seen the photo on the BBC re the gap in the glass near to the children's area. Have to say, I am not laughing now and want to take back my laughter. Frightening. Someone needs sacking and thank goodness that there were probably very few children on the ship.

Have just seen the photo on the BBC re the gap in the glass near to the children's area. Have to say, I am not laughing now and want to take back my laughter. Frightening. Someone needs sacking and thank goodness that there were probably very few children on the ship.

Darwin test? :p

Thank you for this link. It proves my statement correct and accurate. Just waiting for Swoppy2110 to re-track their statement ?

Indeed I will.. Seems a pretty damning and unbelievable picture!

Going to have to do well to fall through there however with the rails in front of it. Shouldn't be in that situation to start with however.

The Daily Mail report is very exaggerated, yes it is possible to take photos of some cables that are being used for maintainance, and sure I could find some areas that need minor attention. But the ship is amazing and the unsafe comments are just a joke. Would anyone consider their own homes unsafe when hovering.......NO.

On any ship on any day it would be possible to take the same photos, this is just sensational journalism.

I doubt that as a C&A Pinnacle Club member travelling in a suite you are going to see, hear, or be affected by much of the disruption, restaurant crowding, unfinished facilities etc. compared to the less fortunate and less travelled passengers in the many other cabins on the ship.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the ship, it is obvious many are not, they can't all be wrong.

Going to have to do well to fall through there however with the rails in front of it. Shouldn't be in that situation to start with however.

I think the main concern is children climbing up the temporary railings/scaffolding and falling overboard?

Thank you, I must admit if you had not been on the cruise and seen it with your own eyes it would be hard to believe that RCCL could allow fare paying passengers on board. Are own little story, second and third day portable blower in our room 12212, to dry out wet carpet caused by leak from bathroom.

Regards

Martyn

I wonder why you make such assumptions, I am not travelling in a suite and am using exactly the same Resaturants, Pools, Bars and facilities as all other guests. Despite popular belief we do not have an allocated additional space around us nor have exclusive toilets etc. In fact one of the featured photos in the DM article was from the Suite Lounge and there I think the provider of those photos may well have been a Suite Guest.

Rest assured our cruise experience would be the same as anybody else.

I doubt that as a C&A Pinnacle Club member travelling in a suite you are going to see, hear, or be affected by much of the disruption, restaurant crowding, unfinished facilities etc. compared to the less fortunate and less travelled passengers in the many other cabins on the ship.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the ship, it is obvious many are not, they can't all be wrong.

Edited by ChipLondon

When we were on, someone was hoovering, and there was a massive amount of cable laying. (up two sets of stairs, and across the landing) A bloke shouted to the cleaners that they need to move the cable as it was dangerous (fair shout), and when we came back about 2 mins later, they just put a wet floor sign against it and left the length of the cable the same. :o

We did see the missing pane of glass, and I am amazed the HSE don't get involved now. My opinion of the ship was that it was fine for what we went to see, so we were satisfied, but it was far from complete and it caused a very poor atmosphere.

P.S. someone (the CD I think) said there were around 500 children on the ship (he gave an exact number, but I can't remember)

Edited by ade1982

passengers taking part in the inaugural cruises have paid much less expensive. they should expect to have some disadvantages. :(

These cruises were not cheap.

I was on the Ovation maiden and pre-inaugural, because I had a maiden on my bucket list. I could have booked a 15 night transatlantic including flights for a bit less than I paid for the two short cruises. That was my choice, obviously. I also checked the prices for Harmony, although I couldn't get time off. Those cruises were also pricey.

I don't believe they are any cheaper than normal

It was not at all cheaper, and it wasn't advertised as a pre-inaugural (according to my booking, it was booked as a "maiden Rotterdam voyage" and RCI had it up as a short getaway cruise.

I just got off Harmony. Not travelling in a suite, just a Boardwalk balcony. The ship is great! I saw hardly any workmen and those I did see seemed to be finishing up work and clearing their stuff away. I certainly has no health and safety concerns. We had an awesome time.

I'm not saying those that sailed earlier in the week didn't have additional issues but as of now the ship is functioning well.

The areas still not open are the aqua theatre, Starbucks and two of the waterslides. Everything else is great [emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by moqui_girl

I just got off Harmony. Not travelling in a suite, just a Boardwalk balcony. The ship is great! I saw hardly any workmen and those I did see seemed to be finishing up work and clearing their stuff away. I certainly has no health and safety concerns. We had an awesome time.

I'm not saying those that sailed earlier in the week didn't have additional issues but as of now the ship is functioning well.

The areas still not open are the aqua theatre, Starbucks and two of the waterslides. Everything else is great [emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the honest view. Glad you had a good time. It would take more than a few workmen to spoil my holiday as well

Don't get a down on ships out of dry dock. We sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse straight out of dry dock in the Bahamas and it was superb. Everything worked and it looked amazing.

Note that it did not come out of a dock in France which I think is more the issue.

Okay so you ask "What do you think", well I think this

The title of this thread and the news report is a massive over exaggeration of the facts.

Sure it is easy to take some photos of areas that need finishing touches, but this is only a very small percentage of the overall ship.

Yes some areas like the suite sun deck are closed of, but there has until today been no sun anyway, and yes there are some small areas that need some finishing paint work or decorative touches, but none of these are major.

The restaurants and bars are fully open, as are entertainment areas except the Acqua Theatre as the weather has been too bad to enable the performers to complete final onboard practices.

Day by day some facilities are being opened like the one of the water slides today. Anyone that booked one of these first 4 or 3 days cruises knew what they were booking, and as such had a risk that not all facilities or shows would be up and running from day one, as it has been for the last few ships.

Anybody that has fears about the Harmony please do not have, the ship is incredible and the management and crew working hard to ensure guests have a great cruise experience.

I have taken many photos around the ship and it looks amazing, could I repeat some of the less attractive photos, yes sure I can. Have I seen ceiling panels being removed to fix electrical or plumbing issues, yes I have but I can see this any week on any ship. But this ship is not a construction site, and unsafe to walk around.

Of course I am sure the management on board would want to have everything perfect from day one, however they were only handed the ship a short while ago, and yes it should have been handed over without any issues.

The areas that require work are those ares that are least used by guests in the current weather conditions, who cares if a couple of hot tubs are out of use, there are others that can be used and only have a few people in them.

I respect the OPs opinion that it is not ready for prime time, but these first sailing are not prime time nor sailing with a full house. Sure this does not help those that only cruised for the first 4 days sailing, but already things are better on this 3 day sailing. Anyone that cannot enjoy themselves with all the facilities that are available will probably never be happy. I agree that guests should have reasonable expectations met, but having heard some people scream because there favorite hot tub or water slide is closed, well I am not sure if that is reasonable.

This is a fabulous ship, with an amazing crew that are smiling through despite the rudeness of some guests. We are happy to be on board and even happier to be staying on for the next 9 days.

Having just come off from 9 days on her, we agree with this summation..

:-)

Having just come off from 9 days on her, we agree with this summation..

:-)

What were the conditions like on the two days before paying guests went on board like ?