Food service issues on the Empress

Tonight's entrees were very good. Soup not so good. And dessert was terrible. They were out of 2 of them and substituted with creme brûlée and a yogurt with berries but they weren't very good. No ice cream on the ship, I was told by waiter that they had to throw it away because freezer wasn't working.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The area she works in was not open that early and we were sitting way off to one side. She was gathering stray items to dispose of them and there was nobody else close. Her point was that if she was allowed to simply state why something was not available or not in the proper condition, passengers would understand and not be as frustrated as with a fib or half-answer. This is hard to explain without revealing identifying info, sorry.

Edited to add that her personal opinion is that the ship was not ready to go, needs three more weeks of drydock or one week with more workers, and she hopes that the next sailings are cancelled to complete the job. Scary!

I can appreciate when someone doesn't want to reveal more about the person who has 'told them information'. But I also know that many on a ship, don't get all the story either. Up until the last days prior to the second set of sailing cancellations, an officer that I know on the Empress still knew nothing about the upcoming cancellations that were going to go out. He could have told me privately, because he knows I value his friendship, but he could not say what he did not know.

I've sent an email to each of the addresses provided above requesting the Empress menus and asking if the limited menus are a feature of the Empress or a provisions issue that will be worked out the next time they are stocking up in Miami.

Will let you know if I hear back, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

I realize that you are sailing in July, and no one can be certain that you will get a satisfactory response.

I hope you copied and pasted some of the posts about 'poor food services' that we have been reading, and made it clear that you are very concerned about what you will have on your upcoming sailing.

I have always gotten responses from contacts in their Corporate offices when I have reached out.

Two of the desserts sounded good (baked Alaska and cherries jubilee) but there is no ice cream on the ship. We all ordered "olive oil crumex" and it was as bad as it sounds; three of us left 90% on our plates. Really, how many desserts are there with "olive oil" in the description?

Olive oil cremeux needs high quality chocolate and a fruity oil to pair well. It sounds interesting though.

I realize that you are sailing in July, and no one can be certain that you will get a satisfactory response.

I hope you copied and pasted some of the posts about 'poor food services' that we have been reading, and made it clear that you are very concerned about what you will have on your upcoming sailing.

I have always gotten responses from contacts in their Corporate offices when I have reached out.

I did not cut and paste from the boards but that's a good idea. I'll try to collect some (any names or identifying info redacted of course) and send an updated complaint.

I guess I'm just not picky, but they don't look terrible.

4 choices that encompass appetizers/soups/salads is paltry.

They serve lobster tail for the shakedown with employees, but on a "5 night" Caribbean cruise there is no lobster that is not without extra charge despite Royal saying sailings 5 nights or longer from the US get lobster.

I'll overlook the missing desserts and ice cream because that's an issue easily resolved when the freezer is repaired.

No always available foods?

And, personally, to me there are some appealing sounding entrees, you are right, what is there doesn't seem too terrible. But this is a seriously limited menu for a cruise ship.

Has anyone from Royal ever set foot on the short Carnival cruises or NCL Sky? :confused:

The area she works in was not open that early and we were sitting way off to one side. She was gathering stray items to dispose of them and there was nobody else close. Her point was that if she was allowed to simply state why something was not available or not in the proper condition, passengers would understand and not be as frustrated as with a fib or half-answer. This is hard to explain without revealing identifying info, sorry.

Edited to add that her personal opinion is that the ship was not ready to go, needs three more weeks of drydock or one week with more workers, and she hopes that the next sailings are cancelled to complete the job. Scary!

She hopes that our vacations are ruined with short notice? How about no.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

4 choices that encompass appetizers/soups/salads is paltry.

They serve lobster tail for the shakedown with employees, but on a "5 night" Caribbean cruise there is no lobster that is not without extra charge despite Royal saying sailings 5 nights or longer from the US get lobster.

I'll overlook the missing desserts and ice cream because that's an issue easily resolved when the freezer is repaired.

No always available foods?

And, personally, to me there are some appealing sounding entrees, you are right, what is there doesn't seem too terrible. But this is a seriously limited menu for a cruise ship.

Has anyone from Royal ever set foot on the short Carnival cruises or NCL Sky? :confused:

Yeah, I guess you're right. The options that are available seem good, but it is limited. I could survive with that amount of entrees (even without an always available menu), but the apps are lacking. Desserts seem to have enough variety IMO.

I ordered the French onion soup, with crouton. Sure enough, there was a crouton but no cheese.[ATTACH]386878[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks disgusting.

The more I read this thread the more livid I become. I paid for the beverage package and they cannot make something as simple as a Piña Colada????? Looking at the disgusting menu it appears my family paid $2000 to eat at a buffet. Disgusting. This is my first and last cruise. I will Never cruise again.

The more I read this thread the more livid I become. I paid for the beverage package and they cannot make something as simple as a Piña Colada????? Looking at the disgusting menu it appears my family paid $2000 to eat at a buffet. Disgusting. This is my first and last cruise. I will Never cruise again.

With that attitude, I can see why it'll be your last cruise.

Why don't you wait and see what happens when you go for you turn.

With that attitude, I can see why it'll be your last cruise.

Why don't you wait and see what happens when you go for you turn.

With my attitude? Why don't I wait and see? Why are you even on this thread if you prefer the wait until you go route? If you don't like what I post then don't read it. I am sorry your life is so horrible that you feel the need to tell people how they should feel. Move along.

With my attitude? Why don't I wait and see? Why are you even on this thread if you prefer the wait until you go route? If you don't like what I post then don't read it. I am sorry your life is so horrible that you feel the need to tell people how they should feel. Move along.

Why am I here? Because I'm interested in info about Empress. My life is far from horrible...what a stupid comment. I suggested you go on the cruise for yourself before whining to all of us how its going to be your last cruise. That's not an illogical process. For all I care, you can have a terrible time. Not my problem. Why don't you cancel your Empress cruise right now and go to the Golden Corral, since that is what you're expecting.

I get that things aren't all fine and dandy, but sometimes it helps to be optimistic.

The first day or two, flatware was wrapped in a cloth napkin as usual. Since then, the WJ has had napkins folded separately and knives/forks in open stainless steel containers. Curious about why that was changed.

Both restrooms outside the MDR on deck 4 had no running water at the sinks before dinner tonight. I went up to deck 5 to wash my hands, hope everybody else did the same. Ninety minutes later, after dinner, still no water and no "out of order" sign.

Small things, but so very many of them.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

Of the Seas Cruiser is right..I don't know when your cruise is, but you may find that much has been corrected by the time you sail. I understand you being worried and upset, and if the situation hasn't improved then your anger is justified. However, unless you're willing to cancel and take whatever financial hit that would entail there really isn't anything you can do to change the situation.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad I cancelled my reservation for Chops Grill tonight based on an earlier thread. Since I was sailing with Low or No expectations, I can't say I am too surprised by the lower standards seen so far. I can't claim this was a total disaster since the entertainment was great and the folks at Boleros are super friendly but c'est la vie?

Why am I here? Because I'm interested in info about Empress. My life is far from horrible...what a stupid comment. I suggested you go on the cruise for yourself before whining to all of us how its going to be your last cruise. That's not an illogical process. For all I care, you can have a terrible time. Not my problem. Why don't you cancel your Empress cruise right now and go to the Golden Corral, since that is what you're expecting.

I get that things aren't all fine and dandy, but sometimes it helps to be optimistic.

f869f6512b0d7187f4e475fc9aa7f250.png

I'm glad I cancelled my reservation for Chops Grill tonight based on an earlier thread. Since I was sailing with Low or No expectations, I can't say I am too surprised by the lower standards seen so far. I can't claim this was a total disaster since the entertainment was great and the folks at Boleros are super friendly but c'est la vie?

Do you like sweet drinks? Try the Royal Bargoña. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Ok let's see...The bars can't make drinks and the galley can't cook enough food

This will be the first cruise that I'll be hungry and sober. :D and for 9 nights yet. :eek:

You make a very good point.

Considering some of the problems on this first cruise, Royal Caribbean really should have given D, D+ and PC a real "happy hour" with the unlimited free drinks, instead of just the 3 vouchers. If they were drunk all the time, they wouldn't notice the other crap.

:D

Unfortunately, the attachment didn't work. But it's 5:45am and I'm on my iPhone. Hopefully it will open on the desktop. This whole thread is horrifying for RCCL cruisers. I sure hope things get better fast or Empress will be a marketing disaster.