why do people not wash there hands

lenbest

Just read that there is an outbreak of novovirus on the eclipse which I am on next week and do not understand why the cruise companys do not do more to make us wash our hands.In normal times it is still possible to enter the dining rooms without using gel but I suppose the main problem is as to why people do not wash there hands after going to the toilet.

Just read that there is an outbreak of novovirus on the eclipse which I am on next week and do not understand why the cruise companys do not do more to make us wash our hands.In normal times it is still possible to enter the dining rooms without using gel but I suppose the main problem is as to why people do not wash there hands after going to the toilet.

And how do they check that:confused::confused::confused:

I believe it is what we are taught when we are young. My niece, for example used the bathroom (she was only 7) and I said "hey are you going to wash your hands?" She asked me why and I told her that one is to always wash their hands after using the toilet. Even my husband, I mentioned this to him when we were first married and he now does it all of the time. As an RN, I know germs are spread by touching so I wash, wash, wash. Hope everything clears up before your cruise and hopefully there weren't too many affected by the virus. I have to agree with the previous poster though, you can lead a horse to water, but not make them drink.

Excellent idea. Let's permanently station a crew member in the bathroom of every cabin to check. Or better, put cameras up in all bathrooms!

Hand washing and the gels help, but by no means can completely prevent noro from spreading if a sick passenger brings it on board.

Just back from the ovation and the washing facilities were superb.The ship is designed with open wash hand basins at the front of the windjammer(open buffet)and you are forced to wash your hands(with hot water )before entering.A crew member checks hands are washed and its the best I have ever seen on any ship and I hope this is a sign of the future.

Just back from the ovation and the washing facilities were superb.The ship is designed with open wash hand basins at the front of the windjammer(open buffet)and you are forced to wash your hands(with hot water )before entering.A crew member checks hands are washed and its the best I have ever seen on any ship and I hope this is a sign of the future.

I'd heard the setup was very good on the new ship. It is a passenger's own responsibility to wash their own hands. The cruise companies devise videos with catchy jingles that are playing on a constant loop on the TV channels, yet some feel they are above basic hygiene.

This is also what they do on the Regal Princess class....while I wasn't a fan of much on Princess I REALLY liked that..... I am highly allergic to the hand sanitizers so don't use and have gotten used to the all the condemning looks from people who jump to the conclusion that I don't give a darn about germs which couldn't be farther from the truth. The wash basins at the entrance to the buffet are a MUCH better and MUCH more effective option..... Hopefully the new Edge class ships will include this in their design....

I'm on Eclipse now and it's been code red for Noro for the last 5 days. It started about day 2/3 when people began going missing including our wine waitress. Then the buffet became non self serve with staff serving you then they wrapped all buffet stations in cling film and you were served over the top of the buffet cabinets. All menus were removed and the Martini bar lost its ice bar. We are sat in a group in select of about 20 passengers served by the same team and three of this group were hit with the virus. The captain has made announcements twice daily about hand washing and sanitising. I've seen three people be very ill around the ship and the ghostbuster clean up teams are everywhere. Someone was ill in the theatre 2 nights back which caused a bit of an exodus from that area.

Over the last 2 days staff don't handle your cruise card, you just show it and they note the folio number off it.

Today the mast grill opened for the first time this cruise. We went there only to find the sanitiser was hidden in a corner behind a bin and was not working. We mentioned it to the staff there who shrugged their shoulders. We found a more senior person who got on their phone. 10 mins later a sanitiser replacement arrived but the machine was flat and didn't work. By now the place was heaving with dozens taking food and using the ketchup and mustard dispensers having not even looked for a sanitiser. Eventually they got a working machine. The restaurant manager was by now on site. I talked to her and said we couldn't believe that with all the Norovirus cases they could open this grill with no sanitiser and staff that didn't seem bothered. Her answer was, we've got it working now and have sanitised those in the queue. I said that's fine but what about the 50 people who had not sanitised and had touched all the condiments and dispensers. She walked away and removed all condiments. 20 mins later a staff member was positioned to manually sanitise those joining the queue. Unfortunately for us this made us question their attitude to Norovirus in that passengers had to highlight the weaknesses to them.

However the worse thing is that all these passengers were happy to eat their burgers by hand and had not even looked to sanitise their hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSC has signs at the bathroom doors telling people to use a towel to open the door. Touching that handle negates all the hand washing.

I'm not sure they are on every door, but Celebrity has "foot grabbers" (I really don't know what they are called, but it is like a cleat at the bottom of door that you can put shoe on and pull door open).

My advice would be to install a hand wash station at the entrance to the buffet area, and every passenger that washed their hands would then get a free drink coupon!

We sailed on Anthem of the Seas last and on entering the Windjammer you were directed through a handwash station with around 6 hand basins and not once did we see anyone not wash there hands. I wish Celebrity had hand washing facilities that aren't in the toilets

Excellent idea. Let's permanently station a crew member in the bathroom of every cabin to check. Or better, put cameras up in all bathrooms!

Hand washing and the gels help, but by no means can completely prevent noro from spreading if a sick passenger brings it on board.

I did a cruise on a ship where there was a major noro problem and they actually did have a crew member stationed in each bathroom. You can be sure that nobody walked out of the bathroom w/o washing. I did feel sorry for the poor crew member who had to spend his work day watching guys urinating.

DON

I'm not sure they are on every door, but Celebrity has "foot grabbers" (I really don't know what they are called, but it is like a cleat at the bottom of door that you can put shoe on and pull door open).

My advice would be to install a hand wash station at the entrance to the buffet area, and every passenger that washed their hands would then get a free drink coupon!

I'll drink to that!

Not washing thoroughly (not a three second thing) is just gross before going into a public eating place. People who *do* wash then touch the doors and those were touched by the people who didn't wash and well there you go.

My elementary school back in the '60s had a long trough thing and we all had to wash before going into the cafeteria. Great idea.

MSC has signs at the bathroom doors telling people to use a towel to open the door. Touching that handle negates all the hand washing.
On Crystal they have containers on the wall, just by the restroom door, with small paper towels to use to open the door when leaving....great idea. Edited by NLH Arizona

On Crystal they have containers on the wall, just by the restroom door, with small paper towels to use to open the door when leaving....great idea.

I notice that in local venues that have relatively new ladies' & mens', the entry is doorless. So clever. Now, when I go somewhere that has new facilities with doors, I am surprised. (Of course, I mean entrance doors, not stall doors!) Same with self-flushing toilets.

Something for Celebrity to think about for their new builds.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

There is no excuse for not washing your hands. I wash mine before dinner. Use the sanitizer gel when entering the dining room...and I take my own gel and re-sanitize after touching the menu. I guess that's a little over kill but I work in a hospital and I know how nasty people can be.

I am certain people run their hands down the stair rails, use the restroom and not wash, then go handle a menu (which later gets passed to someone else) then they pick up bread and eat with their hands. YUCK.

I'm on Eclipse now and it's been code red for Noro for the last 5 days. It started about day 2/3 when people began going missing including our wine waitress. Then the buffet became non self serve with staff serving you then they wrapped all buffet stations in cling film and you were served over the top of the buffet cabinets. All menus were removed and the Martini bar lost its ice bar. We are sat in a group in select of about 20 passengers served by the same team and three of this group were hit with the virus. The captain has made announcements twice daily about hand washing and sanitising. I've seen three people be very ill around the ship and the ghostbuster clean up teams are everywhere. Someone was ill in the theatre 2 nights back which caused a bit of an exodus from that area.

Over the last 2 days staff don't handle your cruise card, you just show it and they note the folio number off it.

Today the mast grill opened for the first time this cruise. We went there only to find the sanitiser was hidden in a corner behind a bin and was not working. We mentioned it to the staff there who shrugged their shoulders. We found a more senior person who got on their phone. 10 mins later a sanitiser replacement arrived but the machine was flat and didn't work. By now the place was heaving with dozens taking food and using the ketchup and mustard dispensers having not even looked for a sanitiser. Eventually they got a working machine. The restaurant manager was by now on site. I talked to her and said we couldn't believe that with all the Norovirus cases they could open this grill with no sanitiser and staff that didn't seem bothered. Her answer was, we've got it working now and have sanitised those in the queue. I said that's fine but what about the 50 people who had not sanitised and had touched all the condiments and dispensers. She walked away and removed all condiments. 20 mins later a staff member was positioned to manually sanitise those joining the queue. Unfortunately for us this made us question their attitude to Norovirus in that passengers had to highlight the weaknesses to them.

However the worse thing is that all these passengers were happy to eat their burgers by hand and had not even looked to sanitise their hands.

That's not at all good. I am obsessed with hand washing and won't even start eating after handling a menu without sanitising again with anti viral sanitiser. In addition to all the bad washing. To be honest I'm just the same at home.

Hope things improve soon.

The frightening thing for me is that passengers have to be told to carry out what are the most basic preventative measures such washing hands and using sanitiser. It just goes to show how far people's personal standards have slipped I guess.

I board in 4 weeks and still can't wait.

There is no excuse for not washing your hands. I wash mine before dinner. Use the sanitizer gel when entering the dining room...and I take my own gel and re-sanitize after touching the menu. I guess that's a little over kill but I work in a hospital and I know how nasty people can be.

I am certain people run their hands down the stair rails, use the restroom and not wash, then go handle a menu (which later gets passed to someone else) then they pick up bread and eat with their hands. YUCK.

I do exactly the same as you everywhere. Best to be sure eh.

Why doesn't someone invent a dry, UV sanitizing chamber for cruise ships where you just thrust your hands into the machine and they're decontaminated against norovirus?

As this Johns Hopkins Medicine study found.

These are for decontamination of rooms and equipment. They would take way too long and are likely to burn human skin if used the time needed to kill germs and viruses.

Edited by SetU2

That's not at all good. I am obsessed with hand washing and won't even start eating after handling a menu without sanitising again with anti viral sanitiser. In addition to all the bad washing. To be honest I'm just the same at home.

Hope things improve soon.

The frightening thing for me is that passengers have to be told to carry out what are the most basic preventative measures such washing hands and using sanitiser. It just goes to show how far people's personal standards have slipped I guess.

I board in 4 weeks and still can't wait.

I don't use a sanitizer because with some brands I break out, just so you are aware why some people don't use them. People need to know circumstances before they condemn others.

Edited by dkjretired

I would love to see those handwashing stations on more ships. But I wonder how the line moves ... you're supposed to wash your hands for 30 seconds, right? I don't think most people will do that, and I think that people will not want to wait for those of us who do.

I always wash my hands before going to dinner, and try to not touch anything on the way there because the gel they use gives me a rash.