why do people not wash there hands

lenbest

you're supposed to wash your hands for 30 seconds, right?

"At least 20 seconds"

I wash before every meal and after most meals. I also use the sanitizing solution. But I was taught as a child to follow the hand washing procedure. Sanitizer came along much later.

That's a great idea...but they would need way more sinks.

Nope they don't....on Regal Princess which holds 1,000 more passengers than the "S" class they have 2 sinks on either side of the entry to the buffet area....never experienced a line once.......

Nope they don't....on Regal Princess which holds 1,000 more passengers than the "S" class they have 2 sinks on either side of the entry to the buffet area....never experienced a line once.......

That's a surprise to me. Last time on silhouette we couldn't even find a seat in the buffet on embarkation day. I would have thought if 1,000 or more(??) going in over short period of time would cause major back up if everyone took 30 seconds to wash. I guess my guess is way off.

That's a surprise to me. Last time on silhouette we couldn't even find a seat in the buffet on embarkation day. I would have thought if 1,000 or more(??) going in over short period of time would cause major back up if everyone took 30 seconds to wash. I guess my guess is way off.

well they have sinks on both sides of the aisle at both entrances.....which I guess helps with crowds....

I can't speak to the "prime" time at embarkation day.....we weren't able to board until after 2PM ...stood in line for about 90 minutes, I still don't know why....but never saw a line that day or any other one....perhaps there was at 1PM or other times we just never witnessed it....

It's a FAR better and MORE effective method than hand sanitizer, that's for sure......

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time for the Eclipse and it won't be the last. The big picture is definitely an issue for some, along with the total thinking process. It is always a shame when a few ruin it for the rest. It reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw that said "Governed by the S_ _ _ _!":cool: I always carry sanitizers and have been lucky not to become ill in a couple of years!

Edited by Lastdance

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time for the Eclipse and it won't be the last. The big picture is definitely an issue for some, along with the total thinking process. It is always a shame when a few ruin it for the rest. It reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw that said "Governed by the S_ _ _ _!":cool: I always carry sanitizes and have been lucky not to become ill in a couple of years!

It was present on Equinox for most of the summer last year in Europe ;). In the end, I recall X calling in management from Miami to try and stop the constant reoccurrence, that was after it had been deep cleaned several times ;).

So very sad, especially after you pay good money to cruise. I was on either the Equinox or Eclipse when we had an outbreak, but people who were ill were told to stay in their cabins and did. Just some small changes were made for a couple of days. I just returned from a cruise on the Millie, where one woman was coughing so badly that those of us around her quietly left the area. However, it is what we don't see that cause issues! Yes, it is definitely a habit that is taught when one is young, but also having common sense can make a difference too!

We were on one of the Equinox cruises last year that had one of the out breaks.

I felt I'll for a few days but luckily no throwing up, I did not eat for over 24 hours, so that may have helped

I often wonder if it also spreads through the staff, who maybe pressured to work even if not 100 %

Im also horified by some people in the buffet

Such as coughing around the food, sneezing into hands and then handling the tongs:eek:

I'm not sure they are on every door, but Celebrity has "foot grabbers" (I really don't know what they are called, but it is like a cleat at the bottom of door that you can put shoe on and pull door open).

My advice would be to install a hand wash station at the entrance to the buffet area, and every passenger that washed their hands would then get a free drink coupon!

Now this is a good idea!

When we were on the regal princess passengers were invited by crew to wash their hands at the wash stations and we noted a large number refused and just laughed as they walked through.

Terry

Just read that there is an outbreak of novovirus on the eclipse which I am on next week and do not understand why the cruise companys do not do more to make us wash our hands.In normal times it is still possible to enter the dining rooms without using gel but I suppose the main problem is as to why people do not wash there hands after going to the toilet.

I'll give credit to Princess..The Regal has 2 hand wash stations as you enter the buffet from either end & staff quite strongly encourages you to use them. If I see pax in the rest room & they don't wash their hands I'll quite loudly shame them for all to hear. Not pleasant, but it works!. I do the same for those slobs who touch food. Be VERY public & tell all those nearby that this person is touching food & is it acceptable to them if this person keeps doing it. Trust me 50 pax yelling at this person gets the point across. To those who think this is bad of me to say..hey fine, I'd rather speak up than you & your family get sick because of a few pigs on board!

When we were on the regal princess passengers were invited by crew to wash their hands at the wash stations and we noted a large number refused and just laughed as they walked through.

Terry

We were on Regal last Feb. The staff were pretty aggressive on pax either washing or using the sanitizer. Few really walked away, especially when me & other pax would publically shame those who would not wash. I understand the sanitizer, but refusing to wash, sorry, just means the person's a slob!

Washing hands helps to prevent noro but will never stop it completely. It can be spread via airborne particles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very very rare. You have to breathe the air contaminated by vomit or diarrhea, to put it bluntly. Good hygiene eliminates 99% of transmission.

I don't use a sanitizer because with some brands I break out, just so you are aware why some people don't use them. People need to know circumstances before they condemn others.

I totally agree I am the same and I'm really fed up of the uncalled for comments by other guests. I have found on Celebrity in particular several opinionated self appointed sanitiser police. I even had someone refuse to let us share their table because I had not sanitised my hands. I was publicly berated on a shore excursion for not using the wipes a guide passed round because I could not verify the products in them. I never get this treatment at other smaller lines or in resort hotels.

I carry my own gel and I do wash my hands as often as I can.

So please, yes people should be taking precautions of basic hygiene but let's leave it at that thank you!

Edited by uktog

Excellent idea. Let's permanently station a crew member in the bathroom of every cabin to check. Or better, put cameras up in all bathrooms!

Hand washing and the gels help, but by no means can completely prevent noro from spreading if a sick passenger brings it on board.

There used to be a woman in the bathroom who handed towels to us and opened the door. That probably resulted in more people washing their hands due to embarrassment because a person would notice. Even if she didn't say anything, just being there would help. My husband said there was a guy in the men's room too.

Cost cutting. Seems it might be cheaper to continue that than do the kind of thorough cleaning required after a noro attack.

Beth

Honestly, the older the person the worse the hygiene.

We own a snack food company and when we do tastings we have tongs to use with the product. Having watched this thousands of times, it is virtually to a person the older clientele who will move the tongs out of the way so they can pick up the product with their bare hands.

And those who are criticizing the OP re: grammar and spelling--you do realize that that is a violation of CC TOS and you can (and probably should be) banned. Rules are rules.

Are you saying that your snack food tongs have some magical property that keeps them from transmitting diseases among all of the (not older) people who use them? I know I would feel much safer picking up food myself rather than using tongs that have been handled by who knows how many other people, maybe even people with Germs! The horror.

one reason the cruise companies don't do more is, that you are an adult and are expected to take care of your own hygiene. I always find it odd that when something unpleasant is part of our lives these days....even very small things like Noro that people right off expect someone else to handle the problem.

No one wants to jump in and tale action themselves. they want the government or a cruise line or the place they work to fix all their problems

Just read that there is an outbreak of novovirus on the eclipse which I am on next week and do not understand why the cruise companys do not do more to make us wash our hands.In normal times it is still possible to enter the dining rooms without using gel but I suppose the main problem is as to why people do not wash there hands after going to the toilet.

Very very rare. You have to breathe the air contaminated by vomit or diarrhea, to put it bluntly. Good hygiene eliminates 99% of transmission.

Which is how it spreads - air conditioning.

Which is how it spreads - air conditioning.

Movement of air can move the virus around in a space, such as a bathroom or cabin. The actual virus cannot be spread through the air conditioning system as the particles are too heavy to remain airborne for any length of time.

There used to be a woman in the bathroom who handed towels to us and opened the door. That probably resulted in more people washing their hands due to embarrassment because a person would notice. Even if she didn't say anything, just being there would help. My husband said there was a guy in the men's room too.

Cost cutting. Seems it might be cheaper to continue that than do the kind of thorough cleaning required after a noro attack.

Beth

Both of these staff members were present in the men's & women's restrooms on our Reflection TA in April...so I would say the "cost cutting" would depend on the ship........

I totally agree I am the same and I'm really fed up of the uncalled for comments by other guests. I have found on Celebrity in particular several opinionated self appointed sanitiser police. I even had someone refuse to let us share their table because I had not sanitised my hands. I was publicly berated on a shore excursion for not using the wipes a guide passed round because I could not verify the products in them. I never get this treatment at other smaller lines or in resort hotels.

I carry my own gel and I do wash my hands as often as I can.

So please, yes people should be taking precautions of basic hygiene but let's leave it at that thank you!

Oh boy do I understand.....last year when boarding the Eclipse for our TA I refused the sanitizer because I am highly allergic (my hands break out in blisters) and the woman in front of me turned around and accused me bluntly of being the "cause of anyone who gets sick on the ship" .... it was NOT a fun way to start the cruise....and she would not listen to me when I tried to tell her I was allergic....her husband finally had to shut her up.... Am sure I wash my hands more than most but am not going to give myself an outbreak to satisfy someone else's needs who thinks they know more about my personal sanitation than I do....

Would a "black light" (or something similar) work to show viruses?

They could have a wash station at the door and then have a "black light"...that you hold your hands under. clean...proceed, fail...go back and wash hands again.