Explain Pizza Pirate

cruizergal70

Can anyone explain Pizza Pirate to me? I've only been on one Carnival cruise (Conquest) and the pizza experience was...weird. I'm from the East coast and I guess I'm just used to NYC pizzerias.

They don't have any pre-made pizzas on display. Do they have some pre-made pizzas in the back or do they make them "made to order?"

They have that little menu on the counter. Can you order any selection from the menu or do you have to take whatever they have ready or whatever they hand you?

I love the thin crust but those little slices are like 1/3 the size of one NY slice. They usually just give you two of those little slices. Is it okay to ask for like 4 or 5 slices at a time? That's like one person getting most of the 8 slice pie and there are other people waiting for pizza, but I don't want to have to wait twice in a (possibly long) line just to get enough pizza to feel like I've had a real meal.

What's the deal with Pizza Pirate?

I am also from N.Y. many years ago. I must say the Pizza on the Dream was surprisingly good. You can have as many slices as you like, even a whole pizza. However, I like my pizza hot and they continuously are making pizzas. So I just get 2 slices and go back for one right out of the oven. The roasted garlic is excellent.

You can order anything on the menu. They make the pizza right in front of you. If you want a whole pie, just let them know.

We saw many folks take an entire pie.. no big deal.

Catrin

You can either ask "what's ready" or custom order what you want based on the menu displayed...as many pieces as you like, or a whole pie. I've even seen someone on this forum say they've taken items off of the buffet to hand over to put on their pizza. Haven't ever tried this but it's an interesting idea.

Okay, Pizza Pirate is a Pizza Restaurant on Carnival Ships. You can order a whole pizza or have a few slices. It's sort of like Burger King. "Have it your way!" I also enjoyed the

Garlic Pizza on Carnival Conquest. The Pizza Makers are not New Yorkers, but probably from India.

Don't expect to find NY pizza in the rest of the USA unless you search around a lot!!

I am an X Nyrker who has been in California now a looong time!

It has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the person making the pizza! It has to do with the crust and the oven. If you are in a hurry on the ship you just take whatever pieces are already made. If you want your own pie you tell them what you want and then wait for it.

The pies are fairly small with 4 pieces.

Can anyone explain Pizza Pirate to me? I've only been on one Carnival cruise (Conquest) and the pizza experience was...weird. I'm from the East coast and I guess I'm just used to NYC pizzerias.

They don't have any pre-made pizzas on display. Do they have some pre-made pizzas in the back or do they make them "made to order?"

They have that little menu on the counter. Can you order any selection from the menu or do you have to take whatever they have ready or whatever they hand you?

I love the thin crust but those little slices are like 1/3 the size of one NY slice. They usually just give you two of those little slices. Is it okay to ask for like 4 or 5 slices at a time? That's like one person getting most of the 8 slice pie and there are other people waiting for pizza, but I don't want to have to wait twice in a (possibly long) line just to get enough pizza to feel like I've had a real meal.

What's the deal with Pizza Pirate?

You can have it your way.

Don't expect to find NY pizza in the rest of the USA unless you search around a lot!!

I am an X Nyrker who has been in California now a looong time!

It has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the person making the pizza! It has to do with the crust and the oven. If you are in a hurry on the ship you just take whatever pieces are already made. If you want your own pie you tell them what you want and then wait for it.

The pies are fairly small with 4 pieces.

Semi-hijacking this thread for a moment...my son and I are conducting what we are calling "Pizza Quest", we are in San Diego too. In your opinion, where is the best? We are native-born Californians, but do so love New York style pizza!

We were on the Breeze in April, they had extra items from 11pm to 1am. It was lasagna, maybe a salad, and a sandwich that rotated evry day. My fave was the chik parm sandwich!! They only had it twice i think, theu also had an italian sausage sandwich, it was ok. There was always a big line after the 2nd movie was over, think i maybe waited 15 min one night. I also got some extra sauce on the side, they keep it cold so i had to assure them it was fine, but i like extra sauce. Pizza Pirate, like everything else on our cruise was FANTASTIC!!

I'm a NJ / NY pizza guy. I'm fine with the size of it. But I don't need it to be make to order. They should operate it like a traditional pizzeria, and have it ready for you, just heat it up if need be. The lines back up otherwise

@JenSDCA,

Some folks here swear by Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest.

We used to think that Sorrentinos on Claremont Mesa was the best but we've been away from the east coast so long now that I no longer know anything for sure!!

Happy tasting!:p

You can order anything on the menu. They make the pizza right in front of you. If you want a whole pie, just let them know.

We saw many folks take an entire pie.. no big deal. Catrin

All of this was also true on the Sunshine in May.

My husband and I are NYers and were extremely impressed with the Pizza Pirate pizza on the Splendor and the Glory. The garlic topping they have at the counter is awesome. Sometimes there a was a little bit of a wait, but we didn't mind.

I'm a NJ / NY pizza guy. I'm fine with the size of it. But I don't need it to be make to order. They should operate it like a traditional pizzeria, and have it ready for you, just heat it up if need be. The lines back up otherwise

OMG!! I agree 100%. The current made to order system is slow and inefficient considering how many people want pizza. I'd much rather they do it like a regular pizzeria.

Unfortunately, I kinda yelled at the guy behind the counter because I didn't understand the made to order thing. :o I was expecting quicker service like a regular pizzeria.

Now I know I'll just have to deal with the wait. :(

Hmm, I was actually impressed with how fast the pizza was ready on our cruise last year on the Dream. I remember thinking it only seemed to take a few minutes to cook. And it was super yummy.

Then again, when I'm on vacation it's the one time I have a lot of patience. No work to rush to or family obligations to have to keep up with. Couldn't care less if I have to wait in line for a little while. [emoji4]

Everyone is always stressed and in such a rush these days. You're on vacation: time to slow it the heck down and relax!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

The pizza is good, not N.Y. good. They are continually making pizzas. Most of the time you can get what you want with no wait. On occasion you might have to wait for it to be made. You can order as much as you want. Also available are salads. I eat at the pirate at least every other day. Never had more than a few minute delay to get an order. A long delay is the exception, not the norm. The crew that do the making and baking do a real good job and are very courteous.

Don't like the new pizza but the waits and lines are long most of the time. Wish they'd put more sauce on it.

Whew! I was beginning to think that my cruisemates & I are he only ones who don't like Carnival's pizza. Even the smell of it mms makes my stomach churn. More for the rest of you. :D

Whew! I was beginning to think that my cruisemates & I are he only ones who don't like Carnival's pizza. Even the smell of it mms makes my stomach churn. More for the rest of you. :D

That's funny, I usually ask for less sauce on pizzas here at home so that's probably why I love Pizza Pirate!

I recall seeing something on tv that NY pizza had nothing to do with the oven and everything to do with the dough. My understanding is that pretzels, bagels, and pizza in NY get taste and texture in the dough because of NY city water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app