Change in Carnival Loyalty Program

volmoma

My opinion- only- it SHOULD be difficult to get Diamond, to keep the percentages of people low and the perks what they are. You start lowering qualifications- it waters down the "specialness" of the achievement. It's interesting the complainers, that think there should be some short cuts for them to get Diamond, since they have cruises booked, it took them years to get what they currently have, they are so loyal etc etc. Then cruise MORE, the only way to get the numbers. Ok, here come the, I don't live near a port, I don't have the money, I don't get the vacation time , we do land vacations etc etc.

Doesn't matter- if you don't meet the standards, why would you think, you should get it?

Add to the mix, the reports of just booking any old cruise to get the numbers up?? You've got to be kidding? Settling for a so so cruise, that isn't really what you want- costs time and money. Why not just plan cruises you want? All over the boards are money complaints and those looking for reduced deposits, (which is beyond me), claims, they have to "save" a long time, more etc.

Flame away.

I wasn't complaining about the time needed to get to Diamond, which I may or may not reach (I've been branching out to other cruise lines), I was stating that their should be additional tiers between Platinum and Diamond. In reality, Carnival only has 4 levels - Blue, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Other cruise lines have many more, with increasing (and better than CCL) perks for each level. I've got the 4 CCL cruises booked and they are written in stone for different reasons, but we'll see where the cruising gods take me beyond that.

Just heard the announcement on live FB from John. Said the beards are working on changing the program somewhat. We're either going to happy (doubtful) or we'll all need to bend over and grab our ankles. I've only cruised Carnival, 25 in all. I did cruise on the Regal Princess in December of last year. (Carnival owned) I have 2 cruises booked and only 10 sea days from Diamond, truly hoping a level between platinum and diamond isn't on the table for discussion. Just my thoughts.

As slow as the wheels turn at Carnival the new program should become available in 2020, but the one change I would like to see is another level above the existing Diamond, like maybe after 350 cruise days to Double Diamond or some other name.

My opinion- only- it SHOULD be difficult to get Diamond, to keep the percentages of people low and the perks what they are. You start lowering qualifications- it waters down the "specialness" of the achievement. It's interesting the complainers, that think there should be some short cuts for them to get Diamond, since they have cruises booked, it took them years to get what they currently have, they are so loyal etc etc. Then cruise MORE, the only way to get the numbers. Ok, here come the, I don't live near a port, I don't have the money, I don't get the vacation time , we do land vacations etc etc.

Doesn't matter- if you don't meet the standards, why would you think, you should get it?

Add to the mix, the reports of just booking any old cruise to get the numbers up?? You've got to be kidding? Settling for a so so cruise, that isn't really what you want- costs time and money. Why not just plan cruises you want? All over the boards are money complaints and those looking for reduced deposits, (which is beyond me), claims, they have to "save" a long time, more etc.

Flame away.

I agree with this.

Also where Carnival messed up in my opinion is grandfathering people into Platinum that did not have the days to be Platinum. No other cruise line I am aware of did this. When they switched to days you had to have the days.

As slow as the wheels turn at Carnival the new program should become available in 2020, but the one change I would like to see is another level above the existing Diamond, like maybe after 350 cruise days to Double Diamond or some other name.

Diamond Plus?

For everyone that is expecting the change to add perks or do something to make the VIFP program better, I applaud your optimism! :D

Unfortunately, I do not think Carnival is going to be giving anyone anything more than they already have, and very likely will take something away.

The same thing is going on with airline frequent flier programs...they are changing alright, and every change is directly related to their bottom line. As a very frequent flyer I have seen benefits go down, points devalued, upgrades dwindle, etc. It is not that we feel entitled to something for nothing, it is that we were promised certain perks for being loyal, and now that loyalty is being devalued.:o

We will be Platinum on our September cruise. I hope that doesn't get taken away from us. If they do change the rules and make it harder, that might be the move that makes us forget brand loyalty, and move on to other lines.

I am expecting there to be a new level above Platinum. But I think that new category will basically have the perks of the current Platinum. This way they can eliminate some of those people who became Platinum by having 10 cruises that were short cruises.

They added the Red level which sent many people from Gold down to Red with a reduction in perks. Then they took away things from Gold. Given a bottle of water instead of a drink at Breakfast or Brunch. Instead of the Past Guest Party they were given a drink after 5pm on the last day of the cruise. So many restrictions on their perks.

I know they will take a lot away from Platinum when they redo the program. Which really makes me angry right now. My next cruise I will be Platinum unless they change that. But that isn't until the end of April next year.

Even if they keep Platinum at 75 days, I will probably have watered down perks. And then FTTF will be able to buy more Perks then I would receive. What's worse is FTTF is no longer available for my cruise so I can't even buy it. There was no reason to buy since I was going to get those benefits as Platinum. I will still be going on that cruise but I was already thinking it might be my last on Carnival. If the changes are what I am thinking it will almost certainly be my last on Carnival.

Flame away.

Very good points! I totally agree with you. We are Gold and will not hit the next level for another 35 or so days at sea. We will get there when we get there.

Well we will finally be at platinum next spring, and although it will certainly not ruin our cruise if our perks are downgraded, it might help to give us a push to try another line. I wouldn't say we have stayed with Carnival for the perks, that would be silly, but when we got close we figured why not stick with Carnival at least until we made platinum. You never know what they will do. Maybe they will surprise us this time and everyone will be happy with the changes...yeah right...

Super Secret Squirrel Diamond!:)

My guess is that with all the discounted/free cruises being provided for gamblers that they are the fastest growing segment of Platinum and Diamond cruisers. And now some want to give them more perks? They are already getting cheap cruises. NO!

I have three cruises booked and supposed to have earned platinum status by the second one (yep, the hard way, 75 days instead of 10 cruises).

I have only cruised solo and pay 200%; IMO I should get double the days but I'm not holding my breath!

Fingers crossed that it all works out to our benefit (quit laughing!!!).

John makes 3 announcements saying he will make an announcement. This is number 1. So there will be 2 more announcements about future announcements. In other words, no news here and don't hold your breath.

all I expect from carnival is a great cruise, I am not demanding or expecting or begging for anything more...and "perk" is greatly appreciated and not complained about

That is the mindset that allows them to keep de-valuing perks. Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, just saying that's how they get away with giving less ultimately.

John makes 3 announcements saying he will make an announcement. This is number 1. So there will be 2 more announcements about future announcements. In other words, no news here and don't hold your breath.

On the third announcement can he make an announcement that he is going to make more announcements?

That is the mindset that allows them to keep de-valuing perks. Not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, just saying that's how they get away with giving less ultimately.

No, it's warning those who earned the "perks" to get ready to bend over. The TPTB put it out early to tell the loyal cruisers to get ready, here it comes! Been down that road many times. I never go back for seconds.

Like the perks for people in suites. It was supposed to be "BRILLIANT', blah, blah, blah.

Actually, it's get on board, we have your money now STFU. Quit whining, you got the nice soap and extra space, you paid for it, we give you the service and that's all. People have spent far more on Carnival than you suite people. BRILLIANT!:D

My guess is that with all the discounted/free cruises being provided for gamblers that they are the fastest growing segment of Platinum and Diamond cruisers. And now some want to give them more perks? They are already getting cheap cruises. NO!

It would not surprise me if they say the free or heavy discount cruises for the gamblers don't count towards the night totals. The $300 total 7 nighters is the only reason why I continue to cruise. The wife enjoys it, but if I was spending $2000 for 7 nights, I would expect a whole lot more.

Some say it is hard to get to platinum, it isn't. My 5 yo is already platinum.

You can take away the perks, just don't take away my free cruises because Vegas is offering great deals again.

Very true. They read these boards and see that people will accept less and so they give less.

So after 121 posts and 8,549 views, I have learned the following: We are about to get screwed. On the other hand, not to worry, no major changes expected. It will be months before it is announced. Then again, it might be today. John is terrible. John is not so terrible. The other cruise lines do better. Carnival is as good as any other line. You may be grand fathered so the changes may not affect you. Then again, maybe not.

So there you have it. I have resolved all the issues and questions and every thing is much better and clearer now.

With only 238 days to go until I cruise again (Number 20 with Carnival), I await the announcements.

We're Gold (53 days), with cruises booked between next weekend, Christmas, and a few shorter ones between then and August 2017 to get to Platinum before our annual family cruise. A tier between Gold and Platinum, or one such as Platinum Plus, after Platinum would be great, but I just hope they don't change the days accumulated requirement for getting to Platinum.