Side Dishes in MDR

Each entrée is plated with the side dishes that it is supposed to come with. The menu description will tell you what it comes with.

You can always ask for something extra. For my kids, I tell the waiter on night 1, that I want them to have some steamed veggies every night. It comes in a separate plate with their entrée. When they were younger, we always ordered steam rice for them.

If you see a "side" that is listed on another menu item, just ask for it. You may end up with a whole extra entrée, though (depending on your waiter!).

I don't see a section for side dishes on the new or old menus. Are there any, other than what comes with the individual entrees?

You might also ask your waiter what starters and veggies are always available every night without appearing on the menu. Examples include baked potato, shrimp cocktail, and mixed greens. The menu for each night is rarely the end of choices. Always ask. Enjoy :)

The entrees usually come with a teaspoon of mashed potatoes or two string beans artfully presented with a swirl of sauce. That's why we always have multiple apps and a green salad.

You may order a side of mashed or beans or just ask what veggies they have for your side........never a problem :)

So are there always available "secret" sides, like baked potatoes or broccoli?

Not so much secret, they are just "on request." Another source of what might be available comes from a short walk thru the Windjammer before dinner. If you see something you like you can ask your waiter if it is available in the main dinning room (MDR). :)

Another "secret" is they usually have chicken noodle soup, but don't tell you this. It is on the children's menu........found out about it AFTER I was sick on Anthem :cool:

DH has ordered from the children's menu on more than 1 occasion......especially the Chicken Noodle Soup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Have always found in the MDR just about anything is available - all you have to do is ask. Some examples we have asked for - extra veggies (usually appears as broccoli or some type of veggie mix); one of my friends asked for "berries " each night for dessert and it was never a problem - nice bowl of strawberries, blueberries and other berries each night.

Have always found in the MDR just about anything is available - all you have to do is ask. Some examples we have asked for - extra veggies (usually appears as broccoli or some type of veggie mix); one of my friends asked for "berries " each night for dessert and it was never a problem - nice bowl of strawberries, blueberries and other berries each night.

I remember on HAL, we saw our table neighbours eating mixed berries as a starter. We commented to the waiter that we didn't see it on the menu. He asked if we liked berries, and we said yes. For the rest of the cruise, we arrived to a goblet of berries for each of us on our table.

I like to order a fruit plate as a starter, and this has always been available on whatever ship we've been on. You can order it for your dessert too.

It isn't on the menu.

I also like a baked potato with my entree, and ask for steamed vegetables as we eat a lot of vegetables at home and really miss them on a cruise. Never had a problem ordering either of these.

On our last cruise, my sister ordered a side of veggies every night with no problems. It was interesting to see what came out of the galley! Some nights were broccoli spears, some carrots, green beans, asparagus, lots of variety.

Feel free to order what you want and if they can do it, they will. :)

Oh by the way, you can definitely order another entree without the sides - some people (like my son!!) want just the meat, so he had a "naked steak" (as our waiter told him to call it) every night in addition to his choice for dinner. It came on a plate by itself with no extra potatoes, rice, or veg. It's what he wanted, and he said it was delicious. :)

During our most recent formal (lobster) night on Adventure we both ordered the prime rib with a side of lobster tail...it came all by it's self just like we wanted...none of the extra plate items. We had seen another couple do this on the first half of our B2B and so definitely tried that during our 2nd week and it worked great :p

I love, love, love steamed veggies and wish there were more offered on cruises. Sometimes I feel like the vegetable is a second thought, when to me it is a high light. But I don't much care for most of the vegetarian dishes, just veggies with my entrée.

During our most recent formal (lobster) night on Adventure we both ordered the prime rib with a side of lobster tail...it came all by it's self just like we wanted...none of the extra plate items. We had seen another couple do this on the first half of our B2B and so definitely tried that during our 2nd week and it worked great :p

I also do that. Surf and turf!

However, the way it is presented must depend on your waitstaff. Last year on Oasis, we had a wonderful team and the lobster came out on the same plate as the prime rib and it was great. This year on Allure, we had a terrible team and they just gave me two whole platters and it was rather annoying.

I don't see a section for side dishes on the new or old menus. Are there any, other than what comes with the individual entrees?

If you want extras ask.

We always ask for a plate of chips (fries) and a plate of vegetables between us.

These are all wonderful tips. What about Indian food? On Carnival newer menus, a nightly Indian offering is listed. However, prior to these menus, "those in the know" knew they could always order an Indian entree. Best Indian food I've ever eaten (& I'm in an urban area). We'd order a plate every night for the table and share as an appetizer....

These are all wonderful tips. What about Indian food? On Carnival newer menus, a nightly Indian offering is listed. However, prior to these menus, "those in the know" knew they could always order an Indian entree. Best Indian food I've ever eaten (& I'm in an urban area). We'd order a plate every night for the table and share as an appetizer....

Indian food has been available upon request on every cruise we've been on in the few years. You don't get much choice, usually a different meat or fish entree and a vegetarian entree every night

Have been amazed at prior threads where posters complained about leaving MDR hungry and going to WJ. Why didn't they know to ask and they would receive as much as they could enjoy? I have seen DH order 5 lobster tails on cruise and another cruiser order 2 steaks every night of the cruise. When I feel like enjoying mashed potatoes or baked potatoes rather than what is offered, I just ask. Also, at times have multiple desserts. Have never been told no, no matter what I requested. Even have items not on menu prepared for us on Celebrity by arranging day in advance. Most crew love to please.