To go or not to go

Afloat

Thanks for the info. By any chance, do you have any credible support for your claim?

Fox News Apologizes for False Claims of Muslim-Only Areas in England and France.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/world/europe/fox-news-apologizes-for-false-claims-of-muslim-only-areas-in-england-and-france.html?_r=0

Edited by Boytjie

Assume you are referring to your hometown (Gainesville, GA) ... thanks for the warning - I will definitely not be traveling there ...

Actually, my little town is pretty quite most of the time! However, Cleveland, Ohio has 7,000 security people in town to try and protect the Republican convention this week. This includes: 3,000 police, and 4,000 members of the Secret Service, FBI, Coast Guard, and Department of Homeland Security. It is really sad that in America we need 7,000 people to provide security for a political convention to nominate a presidential candidate.

.......................... I know about Los Angeles - suburbs like Inglewood, Compton, Lynwood, Lomitas, Watts und South Central, .................................

Pretty close, danke however, the city of Lomita does not belong in that group! Lomita is a nice little city with no major gang issues. Now, nearby Harbor City and Wilmington most definitely have gang problems.

There are indeed certain housing projects in the L.A. area where the police take special precautions before going in; places like Nickerson Gardens, Imperial Courts and Jordan Downs in Watts and Ramona Gardens in Boyle Heights come to mind

Actually, my little town is pretty quite most of the time! However, Cleveland, Ohio has 7,000 security people in town to try and protect the Republican convention this week. This includes: 3,000 police, and 4,000 members of the Secret Service, FBI, Coast Guard, and Department of Homeland Security. It is really sad that in America we need 7,000 people to provide security for a political convention to nominate a presidential candidate.

Don't forget the $92 million spent on security. :(

Truly, people get anxious in unfamiliar situations. It's why people who won't fly don't hesitate to get in a car. Just realize that the violent crime rate in Europe is a fraction of what it is in the U.S. and violence can happen anywhere.

Months ago 8 members of one family in rural Pike Co in southern Ohio were killed in their homes. Still no arrests. Most people who are murdered are killed by someone they know.

Take steps to mitigate your anxiety. Use ship excursions, don't take valuables, pay attention to your surroundings & you will be fine.

Assume you are referring to your hometown (Gainesville, GA) ... thanks for the warning - I will definitely not be traveling there ...

According to the most recent US Department of Health and Human Services' National Vital Statistics Reports (Volume 64, Number 2) entitled Deaths: Final Data for 2013 , "In 2013, 33,636 persons died from firearm injuries in the United States". While of those there were over 21,000 suicides, there were also over 11,000 homicides, so Cruzer Two's comments aren't without some merit.

There's no city-by-city breakdown, but the report does indicate that Georgia had the 6th highest rate among all states for firearm-related deaths in 2013. Your plan to avoid Gainesville might well be appropriate. :)

To respond to sail7seas-

Itinerary is Barcelona, Toulon, Monaco, Livorno, Civitavecchia, Salerno, Taormina, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Kotor, and Venice.

Wow, that itinerary sounds amazing! I understand you being nervous, I would too, but you should go. You will likely regret it if you miss this opportunity for fear.

You can always choose to not get off on a specific port of you have a bad feeling.

I hope you go and have an amazing time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

......... the European open door policy has completely failed, so more will happen sooner than later...

This open door policy has absolutely nothing to to with the recent Terorist attacks, all of the Terorist were French or Belgian citizens.

There many 'NO' zones in cities all over Europe where police cannot go in like in Paris, Marseille, Lyon etc..

Have you been there, or have you only heard from someone who knows someone that has heard........... These are rumors, nothing else.

There are some parts in some big Cities all over Europe where you should be more careful.

Miami, New York, Los Angeles, same problem and these Cities are not in Europe, as far as i know.

Edited by MARKUS_OLIVER_KLEIN

This open door policy has absolutely nothing to to with the recent Terorist attacks, all of the Terorist were French or Belgian citizens.

Have you been there, or have you only heard from someone who knows someone that has heard........... These are rumors, nothing else.

There are some parts in some big Cities all over Europe where you should be more careful.

Miami, New York, Los Angeles, same problem and these Cities are not in Europe, as far as i know.

You're right on the mark, Markus!

Here's the original post:

Recently paid in full for a European cruise for September. This is a special trip to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are nervous with the current state of affairs in Europe. and are conflicted as to whether we should still go. We have trip insurance but does not cover cancel for any reason. If we cancel we will be out $2500.

Would appreciate others thoughts as to still taking our trip.

The term "thread drift" was invented for what's happened to this thread as it meanders among a whole bunch of other matters.

Please get back to the original, and only, subject; member Afloat's conflicted state of mind about a 40th anniversary cruise in Europe.

Thanks.

I am hoping that the OP will let us know the final decision. Frankly, I think there are many people with same worries. And of course, it is a personal decision based on personal "gut" feelings and of course, what happens between then and now.

Susan

Well if i was in that situation I would go, for sure. it is already booked and I would think then it is meant to be.

But I am happy that I have booked a land trip for China for next year and I feel very safe there. Which some people find surprising.

Well if i was in that situation I would go, for sure. it is already booked and I would think then it is meant to be.

But I am happy that I have booked a land trip for China for next year and I feel very safe there. Which some people find surprising.

Not surprising at all. I've been to China twice [both times land trips] and it is, by far, the place I've felt safest out of all the places I've visited. Have a wonderful time, it's a fascinating country!

To the OP, please do come back and let us know what you decide, whatever it maybe.

To the OP.

We are booked on a similar cruise that you are (except we go Venice to Barcelona) in September.

Although recent events make me a little nervous, I still am looking forward to the cruise. When I talk to friends and family about the cruise, no one, not even my mother, has expressed any fears. We will be careful, and hope for a wonderful time.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I was is Paris in the 80ies and the burger king i had lunch in was bombed 3 hours later. I was in London when the Tower of London was bombed by the Ira. I have been on a ship (Cunard) that hit a reef and almost sank.

I was in Rio and the shopping mall by my home in Ca had a shooter. Life is short.. Enjoy your trip but do stay vigilant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I have decided to take our cruise, but we will obviously monitor events up to the time of the sailing.

Thank you everyone (with the exception of the posters that hijacked the thread) for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. They were very helpful in making our decision.

My wife and I have decided to take our cruise, but we will obviously monitor events up to the time of the sailing.

Thank you everyone (with the exception of the posters that hijacked the thread) for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. They were very helpful in making our decision.

Yeah! I'm glad you're going and happy anniversary.

Very wise decision OP and strangely I have noticed that some posters probably don't even realize they are trolling, not only in this post but in general in these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good for you. :)

Keep in mind that ships don't go where danger is perceived. They will change the itinerary at the last minute if necessary.

enjoy your cruise - lovely itinerary and anniversary :)

So glad to hear that you've decided to go! We'll be going in May to the Med and I'm sure we'll all be coming home with amazing stories about the wonderful time we had.

Please post your experience when you get back home, as I would love to hear about it. Have a most enjoyable cruise!

Also, I admire your patience with all the hijacking of your thread and some of the quite inappropriate comments some people made. It did get nasty for a while!

Living in Europe, I was wondering about going to the US after 9/11. I did. I had a great time.

I am travelling around Europe all the time. At the moment, you would realize some differences in Brussels and Paris(I do not know about Nice, but guess so), but these places are not on your route. Spain and Italy are wonderful places- just enjoy them. Terrorist attacs are not very likely in any of the places you are going.

I would avoid Turkey at the moment as well as Egypt, because I would feel uncomfortable, but many friends are just spending a beach holiday in Turkey and report that everything is fine.

However, I do not like doing things I feel uncomfortable about, so you must decide weather you could enjoy the trip or not.