Why don't cruise lines try harder not to duplicate ship names?

AdoraBelle

Carnival and Disney both have ships named Magic, Fantasy and Dream.

There's Norwegian Jewel and Jewel of the Seas.

Norwegian Star, Star Princess.

Searching for info on the "Royal Princess" inevitably returns some hits for Royal Carribean. :) Nevermind Caribbean Princess, which is its own search engine problem. :)

It seems the same naming ideas come up over and over again. Is that intentional?

I suppose the DCL/Carnival overlap surprises me the most. It seems like both companies would have good reason not to do that.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Also Carnival Splendour, Legend, Liberty and Freedom match Royal Caribbean ship names.

All of the Royal Caribbean ships have "of the seas" as part of their name. Carnival does not.

Edited by NMLady

Lack of imagination seems most likely reason. There should be many sets of theme names - a la HAL's dam ships - which lines should be able to consider: possibly using Caribbean island names, or beaches , names of stars, etc.

I did like Celebrity's astronomical theme (Equinox, Constellation, Eclipse).

But yeah, many of them seem to be aiming for "bland as possible". IIRC they've managed to get the new NCL ship down to three letters ("Joy").

All of the Royal Caribbean ships have "of the seas" as part of their name. Carnival does not.

I agree that the formal names are different, but it's typical to refer to the Royal ships without "of the seas", which can lead to some confusion.

Perhaps for the same reasons parents don't try hard not to duplicate children's names that other parents have used, or states don't try harder not to duplicate city names other states or countries have used. In fact, in both cases, similar or identical names are chosen on purpose!

You think duplicate ship names are bad -- try living in Atlanta, where every second street is named "Peachtree!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, it doesn't seem like too much of a problem to have similar/identical ship names -- I am always astonished when I talk to folks who have booked a cruise or recently taken a cruise and they have no idea the name of the ship they will be sailing or have sailed on! :eek:

Perhaps for the same reasons parents don't try hard not to duplicate children's names that other parents have used, or states don't try harder not to duplicate city names other states or countries have used. In fact, in both cases, similar or identical names are chosen on purpose!

You think duplicate ship names are bad -- try living in Atlanta, where every second street is named "Peachtree!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, it doesn't seem like too much of a problem to have similar/identical ship names -- I am always astonished when I talk to folks who have booked a cruise or recently taken a cruise and they have no idea the name of the ship they will be sailing or have sailed on! :eek:

Someone: I'm going on a cruise...

Me: what ship?

Oh I don't know.

Well what cruise line?

No idea, aren't they all the same?:eek::eek:

I don't find a problem with the "duplicate" names.

Now if I didn't know what cruise line I was cruising on, I suppose that could be confusing.

But if I don't know the cruise line I'm cruising on, then I should probably not leave the house by myself.

I wonder how they get on if there's more than one ship in Port??:confused::confused:

Friends went on NCL and I asked them what ship they were sailing on and they said "the Norwegian "something". We went on a cruise and when asked what ship we were sailing on I said "the "Something" Princess". Well, at least we all knew what LINE we were sailing on!

Carnival and Disney both have ships named Magic, Fantasy and Dream......

It might be lack of imagination but I figure if most people can tell the difference between Kim Kardashian and Kim Jung-un they probably can tell the difference between Carnival Magic and Disney Magic. :)

But then again you might have uncovered a very serious problem for the cruising public! :eek:

Edited by DirtyDawg

It might be lack of imagination but I figure if most people can tell the difference between Kim Kardashian and Kim Jung-un they probably can tell the difference between Carnival Magic and Disney Magic. :)

But then again you might have uncovered a very serious problem for the cruising public! :eek:

No need for snark, I was genuinely curious about the naming process.

Carnival and Disney both have ships named Magic, Fantasy and Dream.

There's Norwegian Jewel and Jewel of the Seas.

Norwegian Star, Star Princess.

Searching for info on the "Royal Princess" inevitably returns some hits for Royal Carribean. :) Nevermind Caribbean Princess, which is its own search engine problem. :)

It seems the same naming ideas come up over and over again. Is that intentional?

I suppose the DCL/Carnival overlap surprises me the most. It seems like both companies would have good reason not to do that.

Though not high on a cruise line's list of profit generating decisions, the naming of its ships is usually governed by a marketing policy that has established parameters for brand identification. Whether it's "xxxxxx of the seas" or "xxxxxx princess" or "xxxxxxdam" or "disney xxxxxx", the cruise line is most interested in maintaining/promoting the common thread in the name. And their marketing department cares only that you remember the branding.

The duplication of the non-brand part of the name (e.g., magic) may also have some small degree of intentionality since your online searching of that part of the name will bring up the competitors ship as well.

Related to this (and your original question), it really would be helpful if CC posters always cited a ship's complete name.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Though not high on a cruise line's list of profit generating decisions, the naming of its ships is usually governed by a marketing policy that has established parameters for brand identification. Whether it's "xxxxxx of the seas" or "xxxxxx princess" or "xxxxxxdam" or "disney xxxxxx", the cruise line is most interested in maintaining/promoting the common thread in the name. And their marketing department cares only that you remember the branding.

The duplication of the non-brand part of the name (e.g., magic) may also have some small degree of intentionality since your online searching of that part of the name will bring up the competitors ship as well.

Related to this (and your original question), it really would be helpful if CC posters always cited a ship's complete name.

I agree with your last sentence especially when posting in a forum not related to that cruise line.