Zika stress

Newly weds1

Go on the cruise, have a good time and don't let this over-exaggerated scare stop you.

Firstly, microcephaly cases in Brazil linked to Zika have been massively over-exaggerated. Even if you take the high estimated numbers to be fact the chances are still tiny, something like 5000 babies out of 4 million babies born (although lots of experts report less than a 1000 of those cases are linked to Zika).

To put it in perspective: your baby would be more likely to suffer from a serious chromosomal abnormality through chance, than microcephaly from Zika.

IF you or your husband were bit you would be sensible to consult your Dr who may want you to wait a little to start trying to conceive (6 months).

I say all this from personal experience. We started trying to conceive 7 years ago and put loads of things off "just in case". Well, sadly, we are still trying :rolleyes: Having a baby isn't often as easy as you are led to believe at school, and trust me when I say that in the grand-scheme of the family life you are striving for, a few months (at most, if you are unlucky enough to get bitten, get Zika, and get ill) really doesn't matter. Having memories of an amazing, happy, relaxing, fun, honeymoon will stay with you throughout the rest of your life, whatever it throws your way.

Have a lovely wedding :)

(I know some people will disagree with me, but I have based this opinion following discussions with my fertility Professor - who is the leading UK immunological fertility Dr - I trust him a million times more than any shock-jock or tabloid hack)

In the unlikely event you get bitten and get Zika, don't conceive a child until it's left your system, like 1 measly month or something. That's all you need to know. This isn't a virus that stays with you forever.

The CDC now says it can stay in semen for 6 - 8 months

If I were planning on trying to become pregnant in the next year I would not go, but that is my personal opinion. Are the chances of contracting Zika small? Sure. But the resulting deformity to the baby is horrific and I would not subject my possible unborn child to any possibility of that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Simple ... use contraceptives for eight weeks. No symptoms, then stop using. What's the rush? Two months are nothing in the big picture.

Also, I respectfully suggest that if you are seeking advice on this matter, then talk to a physician and not post here ... we like to complain about service charges and drinks prices ... now, if you want to talk about the water embargo, well ...

Alaska is lovely I hear. DW and I were just talking about this. Thanks to the surgical gods we are past the point of having more kids (two wonderful daughters who are finding new ways to turn my hair grey everyday), but since no one really knows the long term impact of the virus yet, it is scary enough. We are heading down to Orlando in a little over a week and are paying attention to the situation in Miami.

In the unlikely event you get bitten and get Zika, don't conceive a child until it's left your system, like 1 measly month or something. That's all you need to know. This isn't a virus that stays with you forever.

Most people who get Zika don't know they had it, because it presents no symptoms at all, or it presents symptoms similar to a very mild viral infection. Medical professionals don't really know how long it stays in your system, the research just isn't there yet, and the CDC recommends 6 months. My wife and I are avoiding this part of the world and going to Bermuda for this reason, I don't think anybody that is looking to have a child in the near future should risk it.

My good friend's daughter is getting married next weekend, and is going to an island for her honeymoon. The dd wanted to start a family immediately (honeymoon baby) as her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, and is having a tough battle. Her ob/gyn advised her to wait at least 3 months before trying to conceive. As far as Zika cases go -it seems to have hit the mainland mostly at cruise ports of entry. I am sure people have carried it back on planes from the island also. I HAVE seen mosquitos buzzing around on cruise ships in ports. If starting a family immediately is very important, I would cancel the cruise. I never get bitten by bugs, but dh and one dd seem to have targets on them - at any hour of the day, sprayed up or not!! I would never take the chance with something that may affect you for the rest of your life.

Edited by pe4all

I truly, would not go. The problem is real, they don't know how long it stays in your system and you want to get pregnant? Totally not worth the risk to your family. There are plenty of non-zika affected places to go.
I just read it can lye dormant for up to 4 years Please do not take the chance.

For US-CDC, the Zika problem is about 1,200 nm east of Miami @ Puerto Rico, public health emergency declared, almost 11,000 cases since December - expecting up to 25% of the island's 3.5 million residents to be infected by end of the year. http://abc7ny.com/health/us-declares-public-health-emergency-in-puerto-rico-due-to-zika/1468021/

Meanwhile, our local public health dept has been doing aerial & ground spraying for all forms of mosquito-borne viruses, many are far more dangerous, like West Niles, year-after-year.

Best to consult & speak with own PCP about travel plans - interesting enough, it's not even on WHO's worldwide reporting website as a serious threat. It's part about the fear and the unknown.

OP, the thing that stands out to me in your post is your repeated wish to start a family right after you are married. If that's so important to you, then the Zika issue should jump to the forefront. It's more important than for the casual cruiser who has no plans to have a baby soon.

I work with children. I remember when Zika was first reported, my coworkers and I all said "I wonder who will get the first Zika client?" It might have seemed crazy, I mean here was this small cluster of cases far away, not even linked for sure to Aedes Aegypti. Slowly but surely, cases popped up in the US, moms infected out of the country. Then infected by sexual transmission. Then Zika carrying mosquitos actually present in the continental US. You can see that it's only a matter of time before it spreads as far north as Aedes Aegypti can survive. It's going to be a real problem.

If you had simply said "one day we will start a family", then I might have said to follow CDC guidelines and the state department warning. But honestly they are truly guessing that it can stay dormant but transmissible for 6 months. They don't know. However, the fact that you said that starting a family is job one I would really skip it.

I didn't pay attention to the fact that you're going in January and obviously you can't go to Alaska or Canada. I don't know what to tell you- maybe postpone the honeymoon until you can get a northern sailing or cash it in altogether.

Good luck to you.

We have planned a week in RP before our B2B cruise. We are mid 70s, so not into family planning, however now DW doesn't want to go. I do. Don't know if this would be covered by trip ins.

Congress has failed to fully fund Zika vaccine development. Besides screwing over the travel industry and sitting the stage for vast economic losses let alone personal tragedy, it also affects our national security. Several active military members have been infected. I have written my congressional member imploring them to immediately fund Zika research. Please do the same, thank you.

Given your priorities etc, I would not go on that. cruise.

Find a warm westher location such as Souhern California, Scottsdale,certain areas of florida and gothere in stead, IMO.All best wishes to you.

f

I don't want to state the obvious but there are ways to av oid pregnancy. All, of course are your personal/private choices to make. Only you and your bride know what works best for you.

Edited by sail7seas

So many on here are quick to advise others, with very little knowledge.

Cases in point:

1. Mosquitos can not fly to a docked boat...yea right!

2. It only stays in your system 2 weeks. Once you get it, and are a female. However it can stay in your male partner much longer and can be passed to you through unprotected intercourse.

3. Stay out of the jungle and you will be safe....That neighborhood in Miami is not in a jungle.

My advice is scrutinize the CDC web site and the Florida Department of Health web site. They have the correct information.

Weigh the risk and rewards. 7 days of fun and frolic over the potential to have a child born with a genetic deformity, such as microensephilitis.

today's fLORIDA sTATISTICS:

Travel-Related Infections of Zika

404 SO 404 PEOPLE GOT IT FROM TRAVELING TO OTHER COUNTRIES WHERE IT IS PREVALENT.

Non-Travel Related Infections of Zika

25 SO 25 PEOPEL CAUGHT IT HERE, EITHER FROM MOSQUITOS OR FROM A SEXUAL PARTNER

Infections Involving Pregnant Women

57 SO 57 PREGANT WOMEN ARE SWEATING IT OUT, AND SOME HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN TO TERMINATE THE PREGANCY

LOOK AT THE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SAFEW SEX AFTER BEING THERE OR HAVING A PARTNER WHO HAS BEEN. YOU WILL BE EITHER ABSTAINING OR PRACTICING SAFE SEX FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS.

THE ZIKA VIRUS IS NOW IN ALL BUT 4 OF THE 50 STATES, New York HAS MORE CASES THAN FLORIDA.

Check out the situation in Puerto Rico and the prognosis.

The worse thing you can do is ask those on here what they think, as many of them do not. Do your own research and decision making, and ask your family doctor or nurse. The people on here who say not to worry or just take precautions are not going to be around to comfort you or help if you end up pregnant with the zika virus. Take care of yourself.

The best advice posted in my opinion! I hate to see people advise others on a serious issue with no trained knowledge.

Wonderful advise.

Here is some additional good advice - FOLLOW THE MONEY.

While travel related sites and the people who frequent them downplay the risks, my Zika related stocks are up between 25 - 40% in just a few months. What do you think Wall Street knows that we don't?

I live only a few blocks from a Zika zone. Zika is the least of my worries. Unless you are pregnant then there is no cause for alarm. There are so many worse things that can happen to you in Miami-Dade county than Zika. We have friends from Argentina that are supposed to visit next month. One of them is pregnant and we expect them to cancel their trip. The government warns of non-essential travel to Miami-Dade county.

Some misinformation on this thread. Zika is in other states but from people that traveled OUTSIDE the country. Here in Miami, the new cases are originating here. That is a HUGE difference. There are no travel warnings for other states no matter how many cases of Zika there are because those cases did not originate in that state.

I would never let Zika affect my vacation plans anywhere in the Caribbean. You have the same chance of falling overboard.

Here is some additional good advice - FOLLOW THE MONEY.

While travel related sites and the people who frequent them downplay the risks, my Zika related stocks are up between 25 - 40% in just a few months. What do you think Wall Street knows that we don't?

What are some Zika-related stocks?

I have no advice to offer .. just prayers, how scary a time we are in right now .. I have a Son that just married.. and I have suggested they wait till this scare if over to go any where south US., or tropical,just not worth the chances taken. You will have your whole lives to do these trips.. Bless you all.

Edited by Kosi

What are some Zika-related stocks?

Nice research. You found some of them, but you should also include the manufacturers of DEET and other protective measures. No one knows which company(s) will be the one(s) that finds the most effective prevention or cure. I recommend spreading your investments among the companies you like best - form your own little ETF.