Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

This does seem to be a hot hot topic. I think if parents have spent the big money to get a haven suite and they have children, then it's to be expected that the parents will have their children in the Haven pool area at some point. That being said and pretty obvious, my humble opinion is that children belong in POOLS, not hot tubs. Adults should be able to enjoy the relaxation and serenity of a hot tub with a bunch of kiddies bouncing around and splashing like it a mini pool. Everyone knows that Water + Children = Wildness and Fun. Kids can't help themselves; something about that water makes the crazed maniac come out in them and that's totally normal in my experience raising kids and now a grandchild. With that line of thought, a lot of adults have sailed child free and spent a lot of money to be in the Haven for some well deserved relaxation. Hot tubs should be kept kiddie free and when kids are wildly out of control with happiness and fun, maybe that is a good time to transfer down to one of the huge kid friendly areas where they can work all that energy out of their systems and keep everyone perfectly happy. :cool:

This does seem to be a hot hot topic. I think if parents have spent the big money to get a haven suite and they have children, then it's to be expected that the parents will have their children in the Haven pool area at some point. That being said and pretty obvious, my humble opinion is that children belong in POOLS, not hot tubs. Adults should be able to enjoy the relaxation and serenity of a hot tub with a bunch of kiddies bouncing around and splashing like it a mini pool. Everyone knows that Water + Children = Wildness and Fun. Kids can't help themselves; something about that water makes the crazed maniac come out in them and that's totally normal in my experience raising kids and now a grandchild. With that line of thought, a lot of adults have sailed child free and spent a lot of money to be in the Haven for some well deserved relaxation. Hot tubs should be kept kiddie free and when kids are wildly out of control with happiness and fun, maybe that is a good time to transfer down to one of the huge kid friendly areas where they can work all that energy out of their systems and keep everyone perfectly happy. :cool:

This wasn't a "hot topic". You are replying to a thread from last year.

I've cruised with my family in the Haven many times. I've never seen kids out of control or wild or anything beyond being normal kids. The issue is with the newer ships, the Haven area is enclosed with glass and lots of metal and the noise just bounces around. Even if you get a couple of kids it gets really loud. It gets loud like an indoor amusement park/indoor pool gets loud!

I think there are things that can be done noise wise to help and I think some Haven areas should be designated as kid free because I do think there should be some reprieve from the noise.

I've cruised with my family in the Haven many times. I've never seen kids out of control or wild or anything beyond being normal kids. The issue is with the newer ships, the Haven area is enclosed with glass and lots of metal and the noise just bounces around. Even if you get a couple of kids it gets really loud. It gets loud like an indoor amusement park/indoor pool gets loud!

I think there are things that can be done noise wise to help and I think some Haven areas should be designated as kid free because I do think there should be some reprieve from the noise.

There are areas already that are not noisy. The idea of the Haven is to get away from the crowds so why should kids in Haven rooms get the same.

As a parent I want to be able to find a chair anytime I want while watching my kids. Can't do that at the normal kids pool.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

Interesting as to the responses that have been posted.What are everyone's thoughts on disabled children in haven?

We have booked a 2 bedroom haven suite for me and my family, including one of my children who is disabled.

My son is 13 years old, a mental age of 18 months, makes plenty of noise.

If you want no kids on a cruise, book an adults only cruise, otherwise live with it.

In summary if you are on the NCL Epic on the w/c 27/08/17 and do not like kids, tough

Kids don't bother me, but we tend to hang in areas that are adult only. On the Epic, both the spa and Posh, the adult bar/sundeck for the Haven, are adults only. Their was one family that continued to bring their pre-teen up to Posh, but the staff addressed it. So to anyone who has an issue with kids, there are areas available that are kid-free.

If you would prefer to cruise without children, I completely understand your feelings even though I sail with a 2 year old and 6 year old. NCL markets to families, as this is one of the best ways they have to get younger people to cruise, so it is unlikely they will deny families the opportunity to purchase haven suites.

I wish the parents would control their children, but since you cannot change that I would suggest you do the following:

a) sail when schools are in session. We sailed on the a 10 day partial transit on the Coral Princess leaving January 10th. There were 11 children on board. On the previous cruise, which left over Christmas/New Years there were 150 children on board. Try to also choose itineraries that are longer, and therefore less likely to attract families.

b) in your post sail comment cards, or emails to NCL, please tell them to increase the number of hours the kids club are open. NCL closes its kids club on port days from 12-2, and 5-7. Why was my kid in a specialty dining room at 6 pm? Because the kids club didn't reopen until 7, and we couldn't drop him off earlier than that. On our ship (the Star to the Baltics) there were a lot of kids running around for those 4 hours, potentially disturbing other passengers. Most of those kids would be happily entertained in the kids club (and out of your hair) if it were open for more hours. I don't support keeping the kids club open 24/7 like Disney since some parents don't pick up their kids all day, and the kids get upset but the kids club could close for one hour each for lunch and dinner (12-1, and 5-6) like Princess, and that way the kids get to eat with their parents and they aren't all over the ship for 4 hours during the day. Believe me, we don't want to be in the dining room or buffet with a kid whose hit his limit and doesn't want to sit there. I'd much rather take him to the kids club where he can be happy, and not disturb anyone else.

And someone is going to ask why I take my kid on vacation if I leave him in the kids club for most of the day - I take my kids on vacation for the ports, not for the sea days, and he loves the kids club. My 6 year old says that his favorite cities are NY, St. Petersburg and Stockholm. He loved exploring Europe, and my 2 year old managed to hike to a glacier on our last cruise to Norway. But it is exhausting taking young children to tour cities (and my oldest saw everything on a standard Baltic cruise when he was 3, so it was a very museum intensive tour) and therefore on sea days we do relax and leave the kids in the kids club, where they are happy and don't disturb the rest of the passengers.

If you would prefer to cruise without children, I completely understand your feelings even though I sail with a 2 year old and 6 year old. NCL markets to families, as this is one of the best ways they have to get younger people to cruise, so it is unlikely they will deny families the opportunity to purchase haven suites.

I wish the parents would control their children, but since you cannot change that I would suggest you do the following:

a) sail when schools are in session. We sailed on the a 10 day partial transit on the Coral Princess leaving January 10th. There were 11 children on board. On the previous cruise, which left over Christmas/New Years there were 150 children on board. Try to also choose itineraries that are longer, and therefore less likely to attract families.

b) in your post sail comment cards, or emails to NCL, please tell them to increase the number of hours the kids club are open. NCL closes its kids club on port days from 12-2, and 5-7. Why was my kid in a specialty dining room at 6 pm? Because the kids club didn't reopen until 7, and we couldn't drop him off earlier than that. On our ship (the Star to the Baltics) there were a lot of kids running around for those 4 hours, potentially disturbing other passengers. Most of those kids would be happily entertained in the kids club (and out of your hair) if it were open for more hours. I don't support keeping the kids club open 24/7 like Disney since some parents don't pick up their kids all day, and the kids get upset but the kids club could close for one hour each for lunch and dinner (12-1, and 5-6) like Princess, and that way the kids get to eat with their parents and they aren't all over the ship for 4 hours during the day. Believe me, we don't want to be in the dining room or buffet with a kid whose hit his limit and doesn't want to sit there. I'd much rather take him to the kids club where he can be happy, and not disturb anyone else.

And someone is going to ask why I take my kid on vacation if I leave him in the kids club for most of the day - I take my kids on vacation for the ports, not for the sea days, and he loves the kids club. My 6 year old says that his favorite cities are NY, St. Petersburg and Stockholm. He loved exploring Europe, and my 2 year old managed to hike to a glacier on our last cruise to Norway. But it is exhausting taking young children to tour cities (and my oldest saw everything on a standard Baltic cruise when he was 3, so it was a very museum intensive tour) and therefore on sea days we do relax and leave the kids in the kids club, where they are happy and don't disturb the rest of the passengers.

My parents took myself and my siblings all over the US when we were little. I think that set in motion my love of travel, adventure, geography and ethnic foods.

I still love to travel and although I have no children I love seeing children when I travel. I love seeing them exposed to all the world has to offer. Most are very well behaved.

I remember fondly meeting this little girl on one of my cruises who was a seasoned traveller. She was a delight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting as to the responses that have been posted.What are everyone's thoughts on disabled children in haven?

We have booked a 2 bedroom haven suite for me and my family, including one of my children who is disabled.

If you want no kids on a cruise, book an adults only cruise, otherwise live with it.

In summary if you are on the NCL Epic on the w/c 27/08/17 and do not like kids, tough

Why dig up a thread that has been dormant for four months just to make a nasty post that serves no purpose?

And this is EXACTLY the reason why DW and I are starting to book on Oceania to test the waters. We dislike being around lots of children. Oceania actively discourages children.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the original starter of this thread..

Would you have the same attitude toward us as we over indulge in our beverage package and will party in our room and balcony till 4am with our other cruise critic friends?[emoji4]

Or would you just live with it?

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

Would you have the same attitude toward us as we over indulge in our beverage package and will party in our room and balcony till 4am with our other cruise critic friends?

Or would you just live with it?

Although I don't agree with the tone from "amiyas", I also don't agree with your comparable question.

People choose to "indulge" and partying/being loud is often a consequence. The disabled 13 year-old didn't choose to have a mental age of 18 months.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Although I don't agree with the tone from "amiyas", I also don't agree with your comparable question.

People choose to "indulge" and partying/being loud is often a consequence. The disabled 13 year-old didn't choose to have a mental age of 18 months.

They stated "kids" not their special needs child in the live with it remark.

The adults choose to let their kids run around and they are just loud, just like adults indulging causes the adults to be loud. Both the same consequence.[emoji4]

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

We traveled the one of the "away" ships for the first time with family this summer. On our first day we were in the Haven area and our 4 year old great niece was having a great time jumping in the pool. I admit I had not read the rules. No excuse. Just had not done it. The concierge, who we had traveled with before, came out and called me by name and said, "Mrs. ----, she can't jump into the pool." And immediately she looked at him proudly and said yes I can, watch me, and did the prettiest jump you have ever seen. John and I died laughing. And then I had to explain to her that he didn't mean she didn't have the ability to jump in, he meant she wasn't supposed to jump in. For the rest of the trip she and John were buddies. And we kept her out of the Haven area for the rest of the trip. For us the Getaway Haven area was not a great area for families with small children. We were on the ship a few weeks later with a group of adults and it was great. We will stick to the Jewel class ships for family vacations I think.

Of course children would be allowed in Haven, NCL sells family cabins, I am sure that nobody would object to your child making a noise, i certainly wouldn't...enjoy your vacation, and please stop worrying about what others think...all the very best to you and your family

I am to lazy to read through all the pages of posts. Has anyone suggested a daily adults only (18+) period in the Haven ? Perhaps 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm ?

And what hours would you suggest that the 18+ group be banned for? If someone pays for the Haven they get access to the Haven. Excluding anyone is wrong and if there is a problem with someone breaking rules, discuss it like the adults you claim to be with the concierge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did not have time to read through all the replies but my answer is this. Nobody should be allowed in the Haven if they are disrupting other people be it kids, drunk adults, etc. etc. I might be wrong but those people who said kids should not be allowed probably wouldn't care if a 10 year old was sitting quietly reading a book.

I did not have time to read through all the replies but my answer is this. Nobody should be allowed in the Haven if they are disrupting other people be it kids, drunk adults, etc. etc. I might be wrong but those people who said kids should not be allowed probably wouldn't care if a 10 year old was sitting quietly reading a book.

I would have to agree with you. The problem would be what level makes it disrupting? I do not think it should be like a library. If that's what you want go to the library. To me as long as the kids are not trying to talk to me all the time, messing with my things or say throwing things over me then they are fine. Or in other words the way it currently is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I would have to agree with you. The problem would be what level makes it disrupting? I do not think it should be like a library. If that's what you want go to the library. To me as long as the kids are not trying to talk to me all the time, messing with my things or say throwing things over me then they are fine. Or in other words the way it currently is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

The library is right behind the speaker system in the atrium, so not a quiet place to be.

Having been in the Haven and experienced unsupervised children running around and screaming disturbing passengers who paid a hefty price to be in the Haven, IMO children under 16 should have parental supervision at all times. When our children were babies and disruptive or loud screaming or crying in any public space including restaurants, we immediately removed then as not to diminish the enjoyment of others. To do otherwise IMO is selfish. Some children are great and develop early to adapt to social situations and others either take longer or not at all. My best friend has a child with autism and unfortunately he cannot be in some social situations like a movie theater or restaurant. She fortunately has caring family members that he stays with when she and her spouse and kids travel.