Staying awake for late night shows, dancing, etc.

tbmrt

We are night owls DW works second shift so most nights we are up until 2 sometimes 3. The real problem we sleep in until 10 so we will have to get up earlier than usual. And I am lucky that when I nap they last about 15 minutes 30 at most.

A vote for napping here. I only sleep 6 hours a night but need an hour to hour and half nap daily. Love my naps. On cruises we get up early and almost always make time for a late afternoon nap, then up shower and get ready for an early dinner. I usually make it till 1 am and occasionally till 2 am if there's good dance music.

I thought daily afternoon naps were mandatory for all passengers on RCI ships. :eek:

I can't imagine cruising without quality nap time in the afternoon. Wine and cheese plate makes it even better. Some of my fondest cruise memories are waking up on the balcony near sundown feeling sheepish for having "rested my eyes for a moment" a couple of hours earlier.

I'm up at 4am every morning so on weekends and on cruises, I sleep until 4:30 or 5. What a radical :eek:. Working in an operating room, you have to take what you can get anytime you can. I love naps and have been known to take 2 in a day :cool:.

I'm up at 4am every morning so on weekends and on cruises, I sleep until 4:30 or 5. What a radical :eek:. Working in an operating room, you have to take what you can get anytime you can. I love naps and have been known to take 2 in a day :cool:.

I've been getting up at 4am for years for no good reason! On cruises I manage to sleep til about 5 as well.

Try to nap in the afternoons, but usually it just doesn't happen which results in my wanting to go to bed at my usual early bedtime! Going to attempt this again on future cruises though.

Coffee usually doesn't help me stay awake, but think I'll try the caffeine pills suggested in this thread anyway!

Thanks

Haha!!! Good point.

I've been practicing my drinking this wkd so I can keep up on the cruise..

I wonder if they have rum Chata. Love it with coffee!

I'm with you on that! My next cruise may be months away, but I'm already in "training." :D

We are still too young for naps late 50's so we just stay up late 3-4 A.M. then sleep until noon. Works for us.

Oh my gosh, I couldn't sleep until noon. I'm a morning person - usually up about dawn when on vacation. You're missing (imo) the best part of the day, when the ship is nice and quiet, the jogging path isn't crowded, and the view of the sunrise is spectacular at sea. If we plan to do something late, a nap is a must.

Oh my gosh, I couldn't sleep until noon. I'm a morning person - usually up about dawn when on vacation. You're missing (imo) the best part of the day, when the ship is nice and quiet, the jogging path isn't crowded, and the view of the sunrise is spectacular at sea. If we plan to do something late, a nap is a must.

Me too! Best part of the day. :D

Napping for me usually isn't planned. I usually cruise in a balcony cabin and will go there sometimes during the day especially on sea days when I want to get away from the crowds and chill out on by balcony. I will usually have a drink or a beer and will doze off while out there. The wife will usually lay across the bed looking at TV and fall off to sleep. Its not a every day thing though especially if there are things we like to do like trivia games or karaoke. I also stay up later than the wife as I will wander the ship and go to the club late nights as she will head back to the cabin early! : :cool:

Edited by bigque

Since I'm one of those low thyroid people, I'll share my nap research. :D

Ideal nap is between 15 minutes to 90 minutes. This average time span is an energizing nap. Any longer and you fall into a deeper sleep and that will often make you feel worse. Try to nap on your back rather than in a deep sleep position like your stomach or side. I'm fond of my power naps aka disco naps on cruises.

I picked up the hammock in Cozumel in the shops that are just outside the pier for $25 or maybe less. I've had it set up on Freedom class and Oasis class. Note the difference in the photos from Oasis class to Freedom class. I made my own spreader bar to make the hammock a bit more comfortable.

You will need some heavy rope. The ends of the hammock come together in a loop that you then need a piece of rope to attach from that to your anchor point, 2 pieces 3-4 feet should be plenty for Freedom class and 1-2 feet for Oasis class.

Oasis class was easy for an anchor point as there are support poles that are accessible above the balcony. For the Freedom class you need to bring a pair of small C clamps to attach to the girders above. We had an aft falconry on Enchantment that I think we also needed the C clamps for.

Oasis class

image_zpsimyh1twe.jpeg

Freedom class

imagejpg2_zps549bdf22.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbcbd9c53.jpg

imagejpg5_zps624daaea.jpg

Great idea and thanks for the pics.

Nap in the afternoon. Redbull in the evening. Problem solved.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I bring my own Red Bull onboard for this reason. Helps in the mornings also. :D

Limit your naps to two total hours regardless of if you are asleep at all.

Make yourself get up no matter what after the two hours. No matter what!

You will NOT want to do this, you will be grouchiest for about one hour. Careful to be quiet, yes, very very quiet

to your other half....no quarreling, be QUIET.

You will be astonished how you will feel for rest of the night! Try it, You will like it...follow directions!

Interesting to try!:)

My husband can fall asleep at the push of a button! Me nooooo. Can't nap at home during the day. I just took the summer off for a change and still no nap and can't sleep in, Can't fall asleep on a plane and can't nap on a cruise. I think my brain is just wired that day light is on and night time off. Only time I can sleep in the day is if I am sick or getting sick, actually that is how we know when I am getting sick...lol. I also can't stay up late, by 10 my brain is telling me to sleep. My husband is a night owl. But on a cruise I usually get a second wind somewhere around midnight if I push my self to hang in that long.