Huge Price Increase!!!

mvaughan

Can I as a Brit in the UK use a USA site to book my Celebrity cruise and how does that work.I am interested in the Eclipse Sept 3rd 2017?

Anu suggestions would be really helpful especially from anyone in the UK who has booked through a use TA

You need to check on both sides of the pond to see which works better for you. Everyone has different needs. I like booking in the US as you can easily obtain price drops, they have refundable deposits and we usually get a large chunk of OBC from our US TA.

Yes, some of the online agents do sell for less than X is quoting, but check all their T&C prior to booking (some have cancellation charges etc.). Additionally, their initial pricing may be less than other TAs, but you may get more OBC (refundable) with others. You may also be part of a group booking - it's worth checking you are happy from the start. Remember also that in the US, X have increased pricing greatly on most cruises to compensate for the second person 50% off promo ;).

Sometimes the rates/promos are better in the UK for a particular sailing, however keep in mind you probably won't get any price drops without cancelling and losing your deposits - it's definitely not a one size fits all :D.

Where your current bookings are going is not that important unless you were depending on price drops.

What is key is how you adapt for future bookings.

We had to skip a princess cruise this year due to strong prices.

a couple of RCI trips dropped but a week later than we thought they also dumped cabins to TAs to package rather than drop the price on insides an ov.

Cruise lines have been testing how far they can push people and the market. It looked almost cartel at one point as they said no price drops we will sail empty all around the same time.

Surprise they caved and did deals.

So disappointed...Same situation on our Sept, 15 2017 cruise on Equinox. I've booked 6 cabins, the last one being Aug 17th. For past cruisers, Go Best Package was $3,288 for Balcony cabins (Panorama). For new to Celebrity w/Go Best Package, we paid $3,638. Now, just tried to book another cabin next to our 6 and was quoted $4,770! This is insane and I'm very disappointed with Celebrity. A 30% increase in less than 2 weeks. I'm really trying to get new cruisers to Celebrity, but with these types of dramatic moves, I'm not sure what to do. Supposedly the Go Best package ends tomorrow. Guess I'll wait as this type of increase is just unacceptable.

My S1 on Nov 26 Reflection sailing came down another $300 today, and still includes all 4 perks.

$2319pp when I booked, down to $2199 couple weeks ago, and today $2099. Taken without perks, can be had for $1629pp with resident rate.

Final payments aren't even due till next week sometime.

So disappointed...Same situation on our Sept, 15 2017 cruise on Equinox. I've booked 6 cabins, the last one being Aug 17th. For past cruisers, Go Best Package was $3,288 for Balcony cabins (Panorama). For new to Celebrity w/Go Best Package, we paid $3,638. Now, just tried to book another cabin next to our 6 and was quoted $4,770! This is insane and I'm very disappointed with Celebrity. A 30% increase in less than 2 weeks. I'm really trying to get new cruisers to Celebrity, but with these types of dramatic moves, I'm not sure what to do. Supposedly the Go Best package ends tomorrow. Guess I'll wait as this type of increase is just unacceptable.

The price increases are in anticipation of the September promotion where the 2nd person travels at 50% off. Wait until Sept 1 and it will work out. Crazy, but there it is.

This price game is crazy! I feel like a day trader as I am looking at the Celebrity and Royal prices at least once a day! They vary.

My goodness, you have hit the nail on the head. We do see lots of similarities in booking cruises or being a day trader :). And what makes it even more complicated is that depending with who (or is it whom) you book, the prices and amenities can vary...significantly. As a general rule we expect to save 7-10% on a cruise by simply shopping around among decent cruise agencies....but with HAL we have sometimes saved even more then 10% (compared to HAL's direct booking options). Perhaps a comparison to Black Jack is even better......do you want to buy "insurance" and book early, or perhaps double down by waiting for better deals (which might get you no deal at all).

Hank

The price increases are in anticipation of the September promotion where the 2nd person travels at 50% off. Wait until Sept 1 and it will work out. Crazy, but there it is.

I sure hope so :) I noticed only one perk with the buy 1 get 1 50% off deal so definitely not as attractive. Will wait and hope they add them back at some point...we had that situation on a Med cruise on Equinox a couple of years ago. Price drops and extra perks...

I just checked my Bermuda booking. Basically it's the same price except when I booked I received 2 perks. What is such a crock of ship is that it shows the low $949 price as a special and when I do a mock booking it shows that the original price at $1265 pp and it tells me that I'm saving $633. In reality If I waited to book until now I would have lost the $ 300 OBC that I chose for the second perk.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I reveived a notification from the site that can't be mentioned, the the Equinox sailing that I am interested in just had a price reduction of 25%. This offsets the 33% increase that they notified me of on August 25th.

I pity the poor people who booked between then & now.

Shame on you Celebrity.

I reveived a notification from the site that can't be mentioned, the the Equinox sailing that I am interested in just had a price reduction of 25%. This offsets the 33% increase that they notified me of on August 25th.

Shame on you Celebrity.

So that is back to a more "normal" price and you can get the second guest 1/2 off? Or is it a resident or exciting deal?

I just checked my Bermuda booking. Basically it's the same price except when I booked I received 2 perks. What is such a crock of ship is that it shows the low $949 price as a special and when I do a mock booking it shows that the original price at $1265 pp and it tells me that I'm saving $633. In reality If I waited to book until now I would have lost the $ 300 OBC that I chose for the second perk.

Yep, exact same with my Bermuda booking. The "sale" would give me one less perk! fabulous deal they have going :rolleyes: I am still hoping prices will come down closer to final payment because as it is I am paying more for an ocean view in June then I just paid for an A1 aqua cabin just this past July to Bermuda.

The last several years I was only looking at Celebrity cruises to book something. I also escalated from an inside to an OV to AQ1 on my last two cruises.

However with what has been happening since the beginning of the year, I have also been checking out other cruise lines and booked one of those.

I suspect there will be many others that follow now that Queen Lisa and the new marketing guru have stepped up playing their games. I haven't totally eliminated Celebrity but now they have real competition. What a shame.

Shame on you Celebrity.

Are you referring to the Jan 20th sailing? Our C3 is now $500 higher than when we booked; $3000 lower than it was two weeks ago. I can't keep these things straight.

We booked last Jan while aboard the Equinox. Two perks, $100 deposit (paid by X) and price of $4441 for the C3.

Someone mentioned the resident and senior rate. Had I chosen these two discounts fare would have been $4033, $408 lower. That $408 bought the beverage package and $600 in OBC. Not a bad package all around compared to what I have been seeing on their website.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Shame on you Celebrity.

Only poor them, if final payment is not passed or they took a wait and see position before booking, even then there may be options available for lower fare or OBC compensation. Usually.

bon voyage

Shame on you Celebrity.

That's one of the reasons they up the prices before the new promo, it triggers al the checkers and puts the cruises up nearer the top of the price drop lists.

Simultaneous adjust/promo == silence.

That's one of the reasons they up the prices before the new promo, it triggers al the checkers and puts the cruises up nearer the top of the price drop lists.

Simultaneous adjust/promo == silence.

Point well taken, yet since there are websites which 'plot' cruise pricing, for me, this is very moot. Maybe not to those who are not aware of these sites or programs....

IMO, to opine that these price increases ONLY took place within weeks before this sale may be a bit over reaching, speculation, anecdotal and possibly, quite possibly not supportable.

Have you checked to see when and how often the cabin prices have changed?

bon voyage

Point well taken, yet since there are websites which 'plot' cruise pricing, for me, this is very moot. Maybe not to those who are not aware of these sites or programs....

IMO, to opine that these price increases ONLY took place within weeks before this sale may be a bit over reaching, speculation, anecdotal and possibly, quite possibly not supportable.

bon voyage

I watch prices a lot.

You also see price rises just before exciting deals, and I have seen them before drops to make the drops look bigger.

CC has it's own price drop pages often filled with silly drops like 80% just look at the drops here

http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/

What the fiddled drops do is make it a bit harder to find the real deals as you are swamped with false drops.

Yep, exact same with my Bermuda booking. The "sale" would give me one less perk! fabulous deal they have going :rolleyes: I am still hoping prices will come down closer to final payment because as it is I am paying more for an ocean view in June then I just paid for an A1 aqua cabin just this past July to Bermuda.

I'm booked for the second week in May which the low end of the Bermuda sailings so the mid ship ocean view with the perks is a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

bon voyage

As one who for years has had various sailings being tracked on the not named site, I can tell you that I have never seen ONE price increase of 33%. Prices generally go up or down 2, 5, or maybe 10% at a time, last minute deals notwithstanding. When I saw an eyeopening 33% increase, & then came here & saw the start of this thread & the many, many people with the same or similar price changes, I knew this was not just an adjustment, but a hint of what was to come; a bogus "sale".

I fully expect that prices are going to flucuate, & like you, my feeling is that if I am happy with what I paid, what happens after is just life, & I deal with it. However this blatant price gouging to just set up a "sale" is just plain sleazy.