Huge Price Increase!!!

mvaughan

Don't tell anyone, but Morningstar rates RCL as a strong BUY (4.8 out of 5.0), 4 stars.

This year to date is a correction. The stock is up 195% last 5 years. 90% last 3 years.

Don't tell anyone but I believe RCL gave weak guidance for the next quarter in their last quarterly report.

Besides, what good is owning RCL for shareholder benefit unless you're going last minute "Xciting" (sic) deals, re-positioning or transatlantic? Everything else is excluded...unlike Carnival and their group of cruise lines.

All one needs to do to get a resident or senior rate (if available) is to click on "Want to see if you qualify for a different discount?" You can totally avoid the "up sells" (perks)! And, applies to all cabin categories, not just inside and can be before final payment. I just looked at a December 31 cruise and the option is there.

I try that every time I check Bermuda. I'm a resident and 55. It brings up the same offer with the two perks. I even tried booking an inside and there wasn't any discount at all. It didn't matter if I was signed in under my account or not. As I said earlier I have only been offered a choice of the senior/resident discount in lieu of the BBB after final payment. By that time it's too late for me and my wife to coordinate vacation time together. Bottom line is if I feel like I'm getting fleeced I won't book. Right now the go better offer works out for us as we do make use of the beverage package and since you no longer have to prepay gratuities for select dining I will use the $300 OBC towards that. I'm happy with the price I paid I think it is still a good value. I don't have the flexibility to jump on a ship with a weeks notice because of flights and vacation time so those $50 a day cruises won't be happening for me. I'm just glad I have enough knowledge to know what a true value is and am not being suckered by booking on impulse because of an illusional sale.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We are booked on the Russia/Scandinavia cruise in May 2017 and will be traveling

with a couple who live in the UK.

The price has gone up on the Celebrity.com web site, and when I

emailed our friends they checked and the price is still the same on the Celebrity.co.uk

site in UK Pounds as it was previously. So the price is higher in dollars than in pounds.

I verified this myself. A Veranda cabin is now $9000 for two on the US site but only 4000 Pounds on the UK site.

It is very strange.

We are booked on the Russia/Scandinavia cruise in May 2017 and will be traveling

emailed our friends they checked and the price is still the same on the Celebrity.co.uk

site in UK Pounds as it was previously. So the price is higher in dollars than in pounds.

I verified this myself. A Veranda cabin is now $9000 for two on the US site but only 4000 Pounds on the UK site.

It is very strange.

Different rules for UK buyers - and different laws

It is very strange.

Ah, that makes the prediction that the higher prices right now are in preparation for a "50% off second passenger" sale starting soon. It's been reported on this thread that the UK has a law that a "regular price" has to be in effect for a specified number of days (22? 28? Something like that). The US and Canada have similar laws, but only specify that the price has to be in existence for a period of time that is unspecified.

If the UK price remains the same the UK will also not have the "50% off second passenger" sale that makes the higher fares the same as they were prior to the sale.

All travel related stocks have been hit largely due to rising fuel costs and fears of terrorism in Europe. One reason why Celebrity is moving Equinox from Europe. I bought more on the dip and up a significant percentage. In their Conference Call Celebrity said that future bookings look strong. Time will tell.

i would add Zika virus in all of the Carribean. Big concern Grandpa ad Grandma can bring it home.

Anything the company says in conference calls is BS

I booked my Jan.2017 Eclipse sailing Dec. 14, 2014 ( first day of 2016/2017 sales) I got an S1 aft for 6 nights with 123 go for $ 2500.00, a year later it was $3600.00. This May there was 1 S1 aft on deck 8 for $5800.00 so many people I work with think im crazy for booking so far in advance but I get the exact cabin I want at a good price! I've got cruises booked up till April 2018 and can't wait till 2018/2019 sales open.

we're only a small percentage of the cruising public on CC. They'll be a lot of people that think they're getting a deal.

Also judging from all of the repeat business there are many who may not be CC members who know what a cruise should cost because of past experience and they won't be fooled. NCL and Royal are always advertising kid free or second passengers free. Even though I don't cruise on those lines I know what the ball park price should be. The prices are always a lot more than they should be. I don't even pursue it. I just book on Princess or Celebrity. The inflated pricing is a total turn off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One reason for the early price increases before the 50% is make sure they are all in place and correct. I have previously seen at least one misprice where 50% was on a fare that had not been adjusted or should not have had the 50%.

I'm hoping that's the case with a cruise 2 weeks after our sailing. For some reason the price wasn't increased like the others. I'll gladly pay the TA's cancel fee to rebook!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Feb of this year, I booked a 14 night Caribbean 2B for Feb 2018. I booked it for $3200pp, now it's $4700pp CDN. I think they are nuts. That comes to close to $10,000 CDN for a couple. They have priced it like an Oceania cruise. At these prices, I'll take Oceania thank you.

I repriced one of my sailings under the new prices, and did the 2nd guest 50% off, and the price is about the same as before this crazy price increase. All a gimmick by Celebrity's marketing department to shake things up and try to get more bookings. Only time will tell if it works or not.

X continues to try & baffle peoples brains . No one who has a inkling about cruise vacations would fall for Xs pricing schemes ,regardless of any 1/2 off promotion for passenger #2 .

My personal response to X & we have more than 50 cruises with them is ,continue these pricing schemes & we vacation elsewhere . :eek:

There are plenty of cruises available ,land trips ie to choose;) . Thus ,does X care whether they lose steady repeat customers ?

Thus ,does X care whether they lose steady repeat customers ?

You probably hit the nail on the head with that last statement. Apparently Celebrity (can't call them X anymore because they don't resemble the Chandris line anymore) doesn't want the loyal, more value minded cruiser when they can hook naive newbies willing to play the game without knowing the difference.

One reason for the early price increases before the 50% is make sure they are all in place and correct. I have previously seen at least one misprice where 50% was on a fare that had not been adjusted or should not have had the 50%.

They may have learned a lesson a couple of years ago. We were on Reflection in Nov. '14 when they upped 123 GO from 1 perk to all 3 (plus extra obc for us for booking onboard. Had researched prices before sailing and found they hadn't changed, so booked three future cruises. Right after we got home checked again and saw prices had risen by $500+ pp. Looks like in that case the deal hit before the price increase.

They may have learned a lesson a couple of years ago. We were on Reflection in Nov. '14 when they upped 123 GO from 1 perk to all 3 (plus extra obc for us for booking onboard. Had researched prices before sailing and found they hadn't changed, so booked three future cruises. Right after we got home checked again and saw prices had risen by $500+ pp. Looks like in that case the deal hit before the price increase.

Had the same experience when Celebrity first introduced the "all in' promo. Spent an hour and a half on the phone with a rep upgrading three cruises from oceanview to Aqua on the first day. Between the OBC and grats, the upcharge was minimal. The next day I checked the prices, and like you saw the prices had jumped anywhere from $200-$400 depending on the cruise. I agree totally that Celebrity is just trying to get all their ducks in a row before they offer the new deal. Having said all that, this promo is aimed at the uninformed.

You probably hit the nail on the head with that last statement. Apparently Celebrity (can't call them X anymore because they don't resemble the Chandris line anymore) doesn't want the loyal, more value minded cruiser when they can hook naive newbies willing to play the game without knowing the difference.

I guess you might consider us as a "naive newbies", but in the end, we are all aware of the games and what is important is to monitor the prices, be informed and no matter what they called it 50% or whatever, is to pay the price you think is fair and we know the difference.

No matter the company, they all play the same. If you want to cruise you do your homework.