Do you recommend a passport?

gatur123fl

It's stupid not to have one... Same with travel insurance. Just wait until something happens and you have to see the doctor on the ship. If you don't travel insurance you will be paying out of pocket.

How long must one wait until it's their time to see the ships doctor?

Been cruising since 1991 on over 30 cruises and I haven't seen the ships doctor once. Of course it could happen next cruise or it could be never.

Bill

Well before your post there was only 1 post, I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm just saying it's a very small % so no you don't need a passport to cruise to the Bahamas. That was the question, I do believe. If they are going to turn into world travelers, then of course get a passport, but that wasn't the question.

Actually the question was is a passport recommended. The OP seemed to understand a passport was not needed. Though a passport may not be needed, I would never recommend not getting one.

I guess since we invested and paid for our pass ports we have always taken them with us.

And

Even before they expired, with no plans in sight, we renewed them.

Just want to have.

Then because we had them, DH booked an extra cruise.

HMMMMMMM

Sea Ya

It's stupid not to have one... Same with travel insurance. Just wait until something happens and you have to see the doctor on the ship. If you don't travel insurance you will be paying out of pocket.

What you call stupid, others would call risk management.

Would I recommend: YES

Have I sailed without one: yes, many many years ago until I learned what could be the outcome of a medical issue. I work in healthcare and would not want to be hospitalized in say Mexico, or Belize, etc. I would definitely want to return to the states. Without a passport, not possible. As well, if you would get stranded in another country (say the ship has a mechanical issue), you will have a much harder time getting home without a passport.

Its like driving a car without car insurance. No one PLANS to use car insurance but when you do need it to due to an accident, it really pays off and thank goodness you have it.

:)

Would I recommend: YES

Have I sailed without one: yes, many many years ago until I learned what could be the outcome of a medical issue. I work in healthcare and would not want to be hospitalized in say Mexico, or Belize, etc. I would definitely want to return to the states. Without a passport, not possible. As well, if you would get stranded in another country (say the ship has a mechanical issue), you will have a much harder time getting home without a passport.

Its like driving a car without car insurance. No one PLANS to use car insurance but when you do need it to due to an accident, it really pays off and thank goodness you have it.

Sorry thats incorrect. In a case where the ship can't continue it's trip the people without passports were given waivers to fly home just like the passport holders.

Bill

...If you think about it a passport is only $13.00 a year. Take $3.00 a month and put it in a passport account so when you need to renew it you have the cash to do so. Just a thought.
When I think about you saving $3/month for 120 months to replace a passport that currently can be renewed for $110, I want to be your banker so that I can pocket the extra $250:)

I have always traveled with my passport.

But it is not like insurance. The absence of a passport will cause inconvenience. May delay some travel. But ultimately a US citizen can always return to the United States. Even if that requires flying without a passport.

The absence of car insurance simply means one may be out of pocket to the point of bankruptcy. In some jurisdictions it means one is breaking the law.

I have always traveled with my passport.

But it is not like insurance. The absence of a passport will cause inconvenience. May delay some travel. But ultimately a US citizen can always return to the United States. Even if that requires flying without a passport.

The absence of car insurance simply means one may be out of pocket to the point of bankruptcy. In some jurisdictions it means one is breaking the law.

Correct. It will be a hassle and inconvenience. The airlines won't let you board without one so it means finding a US Embassy and Consulate to issue emergency documents. Which they will issue when they are verify that one is a US citizen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct. It will be a hassle and inconvenience. The airlines won't let you board without one so it means finding a US Embassy and Consulate to issue emergency documents. Which they will issue when they are verify that one is a US citizen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read a thread on one of the boards here where a gentleman told the story of how he ended up getting left behind without a passport. He did end up having to stay overnight because it was a weekend and he had to wait till Monday for the embassy to open. However once he got it to see someone it only took a few hours to get everything worked out so he could fly home.

Some like to imply you will be trapped for a long time but that really isn't the case.

I read a thread on one of the boards here where a gentleman told the story of how he ended up getting left behind without a passport. He did end up having to stay overnight because it was a weekend and he had to wait till Monday for the embassy to open. However once he got it to see someone it only took a few hours to get everything worked out so he could fly home.

Some like to imply you will be trapped for a long time but that really isn't the case.

If you happen to be in a place that has a US embassy or consulate. Not every cruise stop does.